PDA

View Full Version : Required to buy a gunlocks required for a rifle?

ghettoshecky
11-13-2007, 8:25 PM
I tried using the search function only to find that buying one is required for a handgun, not necessarily a rifle. Did I miss something or is it required for a rifle? I recently bought a rifle from Big 5 and the manager told me I need to buy a gunlock. I just told him I'll buy one when I come to pick it up, but mainly I just wanted time to research this. So, does it apply to rifles too?

Shotgun Man
11-13-2007, 8:38 PM
I tried using the search function only to find that buying one is required for a handgun, not necessarily a rifle. Did I miss something or is it required for a rifle? I recently bought a rifle from Big 5 and the manager told me I need to buy a gunlock. I just told him I'll buy one when I come to pick it up, but mainly I just wanted time to research this. So, does it apply to rifles too?

The AG's website says:

Each firearm sold, transferred, or manufactured in California must be accompanied with a firearm safety device approved by the Department of Justice and identified as appropriate for that firearm. The Department of Justice is required to compile and publish a listing of all of the safety devices that have been determined to meet the department’s standards. A list of these devices is available on the Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms website at http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.htm. (Penal Code 12088.1.)

So it appears if you buy a firearm, it either has to have a lock of some sorts, or you have to have a "gun safe." I'm not sure, but I don't even think a "long arms safe" will suffice.

The guns I've purchased in Ca have come with locks. Make sure you're not getting double-charged.

Librarian
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
12088.1 (d) The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if both of the following apply: (1) The purchaser or transferee owns a gun safe that meets the standards set forth in Section 12088.2. Gun safes shall not be required to be tested, and therefore may meet the standards without appearing on the Department of Justice roster. (2) The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt for purchase of the gun safe, or other proof of purchase or ownership of the gun safe as authorized by the Attorney General, to the firearms dealer. The dealer shall maintain a copy of this receipt or proof of purchase with the dealers' record of sales of firearms.For long arms, a gun safe works; you need the gunsafe affidavit :
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/gsaff.pdf

For handguns, a gun safe affidavit meets California requirements, but there's no guidance on what the BATF will accept as proof to satisfy 18 USC 922 (z), so it does not meet Federal requirements. At the moment, you need a California-approved lock (the only kind allowed to be sold) with every handgun purchase.

EastBayRidge
11-14-2007, 6:27 PM
I think it depends on where you live - a buddy just picked up a rifle, purchased from out of state, in Livermore. The FFL who handled the transfer wouldn't let the gun leave the store w/o him buying a lock, saying that Livermore had a city ordnance requiring ALL firearms to be "locked" when going out the door (even with the affidavit saying that he had a gun safe) - the guy made my friend put the lock on the rifle in front of him. :rolleyes:

That's a long winded way of saying, check your local ordinances, and if necessary bring a cheap-o lock along.

Librarian
11-14-2007, 8:29 PM
Yeah, local seems to be able to do that. Livermore, in fact, does:
9.80.012 Requirement to sell or provide
trigger locks or similar devices.
Firearms dealers doing business within the city
of Livermore shall not sell, lease, or otherwise
transfer any firearm without also selling or provid-
ing a nonreturnable trigger lock, or similar safety
device, to prevent the unintentional discharge of
the firearm. (Ord. 1493 1, 1996)

9.80.014 Posted notice.