PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a Rifle.

accordingtoome
11-13-2007, 3:49 PM
I think i have finally narrowed it down to the two that i want.

Either
A. FN PBR 24' 308 around $800ish
or
B. Savage 10FCP HS Precision 24' 308 around $900ish

I'm leaning towards the FN as i really like its feel, but the Savage was my first choice.

So if you had to choose between either family FN or Savage what would you get? :confused:

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 3:50 PM
So if you had to choose between either family FN or Savage what would you get? :confused:

FN.

accordingtoome
11-13-2007, 3:53 PM
FN.

:rolleyes:
This poll will really help me make my choice. Im going to buy Next friday. 23rd

five.five-six
11-13-2007, 3:57 PM
get the one you like...duh

aplinker
11-13-2007, 5:38 PM
What's the issue with 700's?

accordingtoome
11-13-2007, 5:45 PM
What's the issue with 700's?

just not for me. thats it.

Prc329
11-13-2007, 6:05 PM
http://www.snipercentral.com/pbr.htm

Maybe that will help. You could get a 700p for the same money if you look around. I know, no 700s but you are missing out on a lot by excluding them.

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

Something else to think about. read the last paragraph. I'm thinking of adding one in 223.

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 6:11 PM
http://www.snipercentral.com/pbr.htm

the last paragraph:

Overall the rifle is a good solid package. Would I take it over a 700P? Personally, probably not. I like the shape and fit of the HS stock better and you get about the same accuracy for a little less money. The overall fit and finish of the PBR seems a bit less than on the Remington. But, it is available in more barrel lengths and the stock does have some merit in terms of its use as an all weather stock. The rifle performs well and shold be considered when deciding on a tactical rifle in this price range.

Prc329
11-13-2007, 6:20 PM
I forgot to add, the Savage is probably the better rifle. The PBR is not chrome lined like the spr.

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 6:22 PM
I forgot to add, the Savage is probably the better rifle. The PBR is not chrome lined like the spr.

I'll take an FN model 70 action over a savage action every time.

dfletcher
11-13-2007, 7:00 PM
Be different. I have 700s and Savages, this gun is all Mauser action and has an excellent trigger and and HS Precision stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85085803

accordingtoome
11-14-2007, 5:21 AM
Be different. I have 700s and Savages, this gun is all Mauser action and has an excellent trigger and and HS Precision stock.

thats actually pretty nice. But i still like the FN.

Randall i have two questions.
out of the two rifles what one do you think shoot better at 300 yards?
Also i noticed that a lot of the FN rifles are not free floated... is there any reason for this? is free float always better? Thanks for all of your help guys.

rksimple
11-14-2007, 5:34 AM
You must not have shot a very nice remmy for it to do nothing for you. Shoot a nice one and then make up your mind. Of the two you listed, I'd say niether. Take a look here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327917#Post327917

If you're going to go FN, get the SPR.

accordingtoome
11-14-2007, 5:58 AM
You must not have shot a very nice remmy for it to do nothing for you. Shoot a nice one and then make up your mind. Of the two you listed, I'd say niether. Take a look here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327917#Post327917

If you're going to go FN, get the SPR.

Thank you for the great info.:D
I have actually shot a few very nice 700's. I just don't want one.

A friend of mine just turned me onto this rifle from CZ

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=49

Im really liking this one. I have to look into it more but it actually has everything i want in a rifle.

accordingtoome
11-14-2007, 6:00 AM

i just saw your link. thats the same CZ my buddy just told me about :D:D

rksimple
11-14-2007, 6:08 AM
Thank you for the great info.:D
I have actually shot a few very nice 700's. I just don't want one.

A friend of mine just turned me onto this rifle from CZ

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=49

Im really liking this one. I have to look into it more but it actually has everything i want in a rifle.

If you want to go with a rifle that doesn't have much potential to customize or upgrade, like the CZ, you may as well get the Savage. For the money spent, it will be one of the most accurate out of the box.

What kind of shooting will you be doing with the rifle? If its for long range bench work, the Savage is perfect. If you see tactical/precision comps in your future, the SPR has what you need. Until you want to upgrade things and then you'll wish you had a 700.

accordingtoome
11-14-2007, 6:17 AM
If you want to go with a rifle that doesn't have much potential to customize or upgrade, like the CZ, you may as well get the Savage. For the money spent, it will be one of the most accurate out of the box.

What kind of shooting will you be doing with the rifle? If its for long range bench work, the Savage is perfect. If you see tactical/precision comps in your future, the SPR has what you need. Until you want to upgrade things and then you'll wish you had a 700.

Tell you what. I'll be at Angeles Range this weekend if you want to come out with your 700 and show me just how great your rifle shoots. :rolleyes:

rksimple
11-14-2007, 6:26 AM
Tell you what. I'll be at Angeles Range this weekend if you want to come out with your 700 and show me just how great your rifle shoots. :rolleyes:

You know what the great thing about that is...the only 700 I have is an old ADL. I've been shooting a Savage in competition for a while now and know that its not the way to go for the kind of shooting I do. There is a reason that the 700 and 700 pattern actions dominate the tac/precision market. I have 2 remmy's on the way, one stock and one custom. Its a marked improvement over the Savage.

Listen to the guys that have been there, done that. I'm giving you advice after learning it the hard way. Once again, I ask...what type of shooting will you be doing with it?

vega
11-14-2007, 6:30 AM
You know what the great thing about that is...the only 700 I have is an old ADL. I've been shooting a Savage in competition for a while now and know that its not the way to go for the kind of shooting I do. There is a reason that the 700 and 700 pattern actions dominate the tac/precision market. I have 2 remmy's on the way, one stock and one custom. Its a marked improvement over the Savage.

Listen to the guys that have been there, done that. I'm giving you advice after learning it the hard way. Once again, I ask...what type of shooting will you be doing with it?
Good advice!

And for the OP, just in case you change you mind about the 700, I have one for sale here at CG.;)

Prc329
11-14-2007, 6:33 AM
Have you shot a 700P or a custom 700? I would meet you with mine but life dictates me not being able to get to Angeles for a couple of weeks.

There must be a reason so many winning rifles are based off a 700 Action or a custom action designed on a 700 foot print. Also you have a few 700s in service saving lives overseas.

Prc329
11-14-2007, 6:37 AM
RK is right, what type of shooting will you be doing? Basic paper punching for fun, F-Class, tac/precision ricle comps, etc. That will really tell what you need. From your choices in rifle I am assuming Tactical/Precision shooting.

FatKatMatt
11-14-2007, 6:39 AM

Either
or

I'm leaning towards the FN as i really like its feel, but the Savage was my first choice.

Wow, 24 foot barrels! What kind of ballistics can you get out of those? Aren't they a little muzzle heavy? :D

Kidding aside, I'd get a Savage. It's going to be cheaper and quite accurate out of the box.

accordingtoome
11-14-2007, 6:56 AM
RK is right, what type of shooting will you be doing? Basic paper punching for fun, F-Class, tac/precision ricle comps, etc. That will really tell what you need. From your choices in rifle I am assuming Tactical/Precision shooting.

Long range would be nice.
The 700 i shot was nice. a friend of a friend bought a stock 700. Sent it out to a shop somewhere up north and spent another $1200.00 + almost on it. Had a really nice Leupold Mark 3 or 4 i forget. Match ammo. It was nice. but at 100 yards my cheap Howa 308 shot just as well. $359.99 at Turners/w a cheap scope. Im sure out at 3, 4 or 500 yards It would smoke the HOWA. but at 100 yards all four of us there were shooting the same groups with both rifles.

But if im going to spend $2200 - $3000 on a rifle I would rather spend a little more and get an AI . Thats my point. IF im going to spend that kind of money i would just really bite the bullet and go all out.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/AI-AE308GRN-DSO.html
That is sexy as heck. :D

Prc329
11-14-2007, 7:08 AM
Your friend got hosed. When I do my part my rifle is capable of .3" groups. I have shot a few cloverleafs with her. Not counting glass I spent $579 for the rifle and $760 for my AICS. Then another $160 for my Smith to install a brake and cut the barrel down. My glass was $950 dollars. So that adds up to...

$2449 including glass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/Guns/DSC01214.jpg

Oh and add another $180 for the bipod :)

Granted my Savage was cheaper but this package works so much better for my type of shooting and is a better shooter. Maybe not out the box, to be honets I never knew how she shot out the box. I had her to my smith and in pieces before I chambered a round in her.

Mute
11-14-2007, 7:21 AM
I say buy whichever one floats your boat. At the price range you defined, all of the brands are going to perform to more or less the same level so there's no point in arguing which works and which doesn't. Each have there strong and weak points. If, IF you have any intention of customization later, than you want the Remington, otherwise, any of those already mentioned will serve you. In your prescribed price range, I'd also take a look at CZ and Tikka, however, I'd probably take the FN as it's more or less an Win 70 action.

ar15barrels
11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
The 700 i shot was nice. a friend of a friend bought a stock 700. Sent it out to a shop somewhere up north and spent another $1200.00 + almost on it. Had a really nice Leupold Mark 3 or 4 i forget. Match ammo. It was nice. but at 100 yards my cheap Howa 308 shot just as well. $359.99 at Turners/w a cheap scope. Im sure out at 3, 4 or 500 yards It would smoke the HOWA. but at 100 yards all four of us there were shooting the same groups with both rifles.

Not to be mean, but perhaps none of you are actually capable of shooting to the full potential of your rifles.
If this is the case, buying a better rifle is not going to make you shoot better.

As we talked about before, I would get one of those Hogue stocks with the full aluminum bedding block and a decent barrel and put those on your Howa.
After a few thousand rounds, if you are capable of out-shooting the gun, get a better one.

It might be too soon to actually NEED a new gun at this time.

A stock, a scope and a barrel (in that order) will go a long way to get you going with what you already have.
I know your trigger is already up-to-par for a precision rifle.

SemiAutoSam
11-14-2007, 7:12 PM
Here is a interesting one on sturmgewehr.com.

Grab this before I decide to pick it up.

10,9,8,7 see a pattern developing ? (sorry movie quote)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=179250

Semi-Auto Market Board

WTS N.I.B. FN Patrol bolt rifle caliber .308W $699

Posted By: ChrisM near Houston TX <ColtLE6920HBM4CAR@Yahoo.com> (adsl-216-63-82-21.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: 11/14/07 18:55

I purchased one with a 20inch barrel and one with a 24inch barrel with the intent of taking up long range shooting but ended up never using them. Now I need money for a class III purchase so they gotta go. Price is firm at $699.00 each which is $75 below dealer cost plus I will pay the freight. Rifles are already at my FFL/dealer and are ready to ship to the buyers FFL/dealer as soon as payment and FFL are recieved.

Either
or

Here is another one but this one is 1K.

accordingtoome
11-14-2007, 9:40 PM
well im going to get all the cash ready and buy on friday the 23rd. plus glass and extras. im pretty sure imgoing to get teh CZ

accordingtoome
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Here is a interesting one on sturmgewehr.com.

Grab this before I decide to pick it up.

10,9,8,7 see a pattern developing ? (sorry movie quote)

Semi-Auto Market Board

WTS N.I.B. FN Patrol bolt rifle caliber .308W $699

Posted By: ChrisM near Houston TX <ColtLE6920HBM4CAR@Yahoo.com> (adsl-216-63-82-21.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: 11/14/07 18:55

I purchased one with a 20inch barrel and one with a 24inch barrel with the intent of taking up long range shooting but ended up never using them. Now I need money for a class III purchase so they gotta go. Price is firm at $699.00 each which is $75 below dealer cost plus I will pay the freight. Rifles are already at my FFL/dealer and are ready to ship to the buyers FFL/dealer as soon as payment and FFL are recieved.

Here is another one but this one is 1K.

thank you for all your work in that post. but im sure i will be getting the CZ. I just really like it a lot. and the set trigger feature is a huge plus.

Gunner1
11-15-2007, 12:43 PM
I am fortunate enough to have six savage rifles including PRC329's .223 he just sold me. They are all based on FP's all are .5moa or better and frankly I think quite highly of them. I have used them for tactical rifle and Long range shooting. My favorite part is the ease of repairs and rebarreling yourself. I have owned Sig STR's, Rem700 PSS, and Steyr SSG and many others. I just traded in my SIG STR970 in on one of the 10FCPXP-hs Precision package rifles detachable mag with the Leupold MK4 3.5-10 PR scope, Ferris mount,Burris Z-rings,Harris Bipod,Sling and fitted Hardigg case. This rifle can shoot .33 with Black Hills 168gr match ammo consistantly. The package cost less than 2k for a very nice rifle and accessories. In my opinion the Savages are great guns for the money.
I am in the process of building a Rem 700 AICS similar to PRC329's. Why? well mainly because Accuracy International does not make a chassis system for the Savage Rifle. I am willing to put up with the Remington action to get the AICS stock/mag system. :D I don't think you can go wrong either way, I am lucky enough to be able to buy pretty much whatever rifle I want or able to shoot it through my involvement with the firearms industry and my prior experience as a LEO. My favorite rifle of all? well that would be my Smith Enterprise built m14SEon a Polytec Receiver mounted in a JAE 100 stock, cost ran about $4k . That rifle will shoot .75 or better with good ammo and seemingly MOA with about everything except Pindad 7.62x51, semi auto and 20 round mags too.

I don't think you will go wrong with the FN or the Savage, personally my vote is for the Savage.

Gunner:84:

ar15barrels
11-15-2007, 1:03 PM
Savages are great guns for the money.

I am lucky enough to be able to buy pretty much whatever rifle I want

Why would you choose something that's "great for the money" when you can just have the best?

The only reason to buy something "great for the money" is when you can't afford the best.

Gunner1
11-15-2007, 1:17 PM
I guess I should say, the savage is a great gun for the amount I am willing to spend. As far as having the best, I can honestly say that I have in the past or do own some of the finest rifles and firearms available. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend 5k on a rifle, however I am also smart enough to know a great value when I see it (SAVAGE!!!). I have six centerfire and one rimfire savage rifles. All of them I consider very good rifles, great when you figure in the value for your money. For my uses the Savage rifles are what I use for 75% of my shooting (25k rounds a year).

Gunner

Randall, an example is the Savage I just bought from PRC329 I believe you did the barrel work to mount the FTE brake, That rifle with my Millet TRS-1 is a great combo for up too 300 yards varmit hunting and the entire setup set me back less than the price of a most other "Tactical rifles". Savage10fp,Bell and Carlson Tactical stock, Warne Mount,Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 scope, Burris Extreme rings, Harris bipod, Tactical bolt handle and FTE muzzle brake all for less than 1k seems like an incredible combo for the money. Works for me and everyone who has seen it so far. BTW nice work on mounting the Badger FTE brake.

Gunner

Prc329
11-15-2007, 1:31 PM
Hey Gunner, Randall did the work on that Savage. He cut and threaded the barrel as well as tightened up the headspace a little. I am not sure how she shot stock since it went straight from the dros to Randall's barrel vice.

Gunner1
11-15-2007, 1:49 PM
He did a great job, That gun is a shooter! I really dont think I would like it any better with Remingon 700 on the receiver.

Gunner