PDA

View Full Version : AR B.U.I.S any recomendations?

NORCALWRECKCHASER
11-13-2007, 3:47 PM
Just finished my AR. upper is a flat top M4 16" with an A2 front site, was thinking of the ARMS #40 flip up. not sure if I am going to put an optic on this build. I like the look of the flat top over the A2 carry handle rear site but if its the way to go then i'll go with it. Any thoughts ? Thanks,

DedEye
11-13-2007, 3:49 PM
I like my ARMS #40. You may also want to look at the RRA tactical carry handles. I don't know what makes them carry handles per se, they look more like risers with a BUIS attached, but they might work for you as well.

Ryan HBC
11-13-2007, 3:52 PM
If you have the cash, Troy is the best IMO. It's low profile, rock solid, and easy to actuate. I don't have any preferences in the others.

NORCALWRECKCHASER
11-13-2007, 3:53 PM
Thanks DeEye, I'll check it out

shark92651
11-13-2007, 4:12 PM
The Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill flip up rear sights seem to be of comparable quality to me. One thing to note is these sights have a windage adjustment only. Does anyone make a flip up rear sight that also has elevation adjustment?

ohsmily
11-13-2007, 4:12 PM
I have a GG&G MAD BUIS and a Matech BUIS. They are both very well built. I really like the dual aperture option on the GG&G and the quick elevation adjustments on the Matech. You can't go wrong with either. But, IMHO, sights from Troy, GG&G, ARMS are all very well made and it simply comes down to preference for what features each option offers.

wildcard
11-13-2007, 4:25 PM
If the flip up function of the BUIS is important to you.. I suggest the LaRue fixed BUIS.. that thing is solid.

DIG
11-13-2007, 4:40 PM
I like the Troy rear flip-up. The windage adjustment is slimmer (less imposing) than most rear flip-ups. That's just my opinion. I'm picky though.
The a.r.m.s. is pretty nice too. Can't go wrong with either one.

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 4:46 PM
Does anyone make a flip up rear sight that also has elevation adjustment?

KAC makes an elevation adjustable flip-up sight as well.

It should be noted that elevation is always ZEROED at the front sight post.
The only reason for having adjustment at the rear sight is to shoot extended distances.
Chuck Santose's 50/200 battlesight zero will cover you at all sane distances.
If you need backup sights past 200, you have time to switch to the precision bolt gun you carry on your back.

chuck762
11-13-2007, 4:48 PM
The Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill flip up rear sights seem to be of comparable quality to me. One thing to note is these sights have a windage adjustment only. Does anyone make a flip up rear sight that also has elevation adjustment?

The Knights, Matech and one of the yankee hill rear sights have elevation adjustments.

NORCALWRECKCHASER
11-13-2007, 4:59 PM
Thanks for everyones "insight" :D

Teletiger7
11-13-2007, 5:35 PM
Are you set on flip-ups? What aboout fiexd BUIS? If you want a back up sight with both windage and elevation adjust and that can co-witness with your Eot or Aimpoint I would suggest an LMT BUIS. Looks like this:
http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001059

Sydwaiz
11-13-2007, 6:01 PM
ARMS 40 in the rear and YHM flip up in the front w/ bayo lug!

psriley
11-13-2007, 6:56 PM
+1 LaRue fixed rear. With QR, it can be removed and replaced with optics in under 5 sec. Troy flip-up front is a good selection as well. The Troy front includes a keywrench for elevation zeroing the post.

On another rifle, I have a Wilson Combat carry handle and YHM flip-up front.

Funny, but these days I seem to prefer shooting with irons. With irons, you can at least delude yourself that you're holding the rifle rock-steady. :43:

got ar?
11-13-2007, 8:05 PM
If you have the cash, Troy is the best IMO. It's low profile, rock solid, and easy to actuate. I don't have any preferences in the others.

i must agree troy is the one to get

jandmtv
11-13-2007, 9:34 PM
i have a Matech, quality is nice, and works well. not to expensive either.

maxicon
11-14-2007, 9:35 AM
If you want to mount a magnified optic, you'll want a low-profile flip-up, like the Troy or the ARMS 40L. The ARMS 40 is too high for many optics on many mounts, as are fixed BUIS. It ultimately depends on the mount and optic, but you should plan for it to avoid having to replace it later.

If you're not planning on a magnified optic, there are lots of good BUIS out there.

Prc329
11-14-2007, 9:46 AM
Dominator 2 is a nice riser/rear sight if you are using an Eotech. If not Arms will do fine in just about all other situations.

Mute
11-14-2007, 9:55 AM
Troy for flip-ups Larue for fixed.

RECCE556
11-16-2007, 6:51 AM
I like the KAC 600M rear personally. Low profile, 200-600m adjustment and built very well. For the front, I would do either KAC or Troy...although lately, I've been a big fan of flip up FSB's (GG&G or the Vltor...plus the PRI and even Samson).

The YHM sights are unrefined and a bit rough IMO...but then again, they're cheap so if you're on a limited budget for BUIS's...

Lon Moer
11-16-2007, 7:36 AM
The Big Bad BUIS FAQ (http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206233)

Red_5
11-16-2007, 9:49 AM
I like the Troy folders. Got 'em on both my rifles. :cool2:

RainierArms
11-16-2007, 6:59 PM
Here's some good pictures and info here.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6

high_revs
01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm looking for BUIS right now as I have no scope since I sent it back for possible service (not sure if I got a bad deal on getting a 2nd hand, supposedly very low rounds and fairly new still).

I like the Troy (I see LaRue has them too but with their LaRue logo instead). Questions:

1. Any particular advantage/disadvantage of the HK style front sight vs. traditional M4?
2. How beneficial is having a front adjustable sight for elevation (I think I read that right from Troy's website). I thought elevation changes were done with the rear instead?

aplinker
01-21-2009, 1:44 AM
I'm looking for BUIS right now as I have no scope since I sent it back for possible service (not sure if I got a bad deal on getting a 2nd hand, supposedly very low rounds and fairly new still).

I like the Troy (I see LaRue has them too but with their LaRue logo instead). Questions:

1. Any particular advantage/disadvantage of the HK style front sight vs. traditional M4?
2. How beneficial is having a front adjustable sight for elevation (I think I read that right from Troy's website). I thought elevation changes were done with the rear instead?

A fully hooded sight is slightly more protected from knocks. Not a big issue, though. If the post is truly centered (like a real HK), then you can use dual ghost rings, but most AR HK-style sights don't work this way.

The elevation zero is set by the front post adjustment for most AR sights.