View Full Version : Cleaning a titanium coated gun?

The SoCal Gunner
11-12-2007, 10:50 PM
What solvents are ok to use on a titanium coated gun? Just did a purchase and the pistol was a bit dirty (small rust specks maybe?) and want to give it a good cleaning after I pick it up 22 days from now.

11-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Can you post a clear pic of the coating and the specs?

The SoCal Gunner
11-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Can you post a clear pic of the coating and the specs?

Won't have the pistol for about 3 weeks so no pics but it is the standard titanium finish on the Walther P99.

11-14-2007, 6:27 PM

Not a gun guy are you......

11-14-2007, 6:34 PM

Not a gun guy are you......

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I can not say that I am familiar with what is considered a Titanium finish. Titanium the metal ion cannot be electroplated in the normal sense of the word. Special vacuum depositions coatings are usually employed to coat metals with titanium alloy. Titanium nitriding comes to mind.

Because i am not familiar with a particular coating on a handgun does not make me any less an enthusiast than you.
Why not help with the OP's question rather than answer a post with a derogitory remark?

11-17-2007, 9:59 AM
and they come up easily with standard cleaning lube and a little elbow grease. It has not been a major issue. I too was surprised to see the rust spots.
I use Amsoil MP and Miltec on guns, but I would guess that most of the other major brands of oils/cleaners would not be a problem.

11-24-2007, 6:08 PM
I found a good number of informative files at Walthers web site:

Just type in "P99" into the search terms box.

In addition to parts drawings you will also find an instruction manual that should answer your question.

Have fun with your new purchase!

11-25-2007, 7:31 AM
I got a bunch of small rust spots of my buddys SS 44 mag with WD40 and fine copper wool. the gun looked like it had chicken pox

The SoCal Gunner
12-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Here's a pic. I tried Hoppe's #9, lube, and even flitz (which did not harm the finish). I will try the steel or copper wool and a few more solvents before I decide on getting her redone. The one reason why I don't want to refinish is because I will lose the Walther logo that is on the side of the slide because it is only laser etched on.

Was thinking NP3, Cera-hide, or Tripp's hardchrome.