PDA

View Full Version : Procedure/technique for attaching a new muzzlebrake/compensator???

Teletiger7
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
How do I install a new muzzle brake. What is the purpose of the crush washer? Do I place crush washer on barrel and tighten the muzzle brake over it and just torque the brake until it hits the washer and gets into the right position? I have the square tool that I used to remove the old flash hiders and was thinking i could use that to also put on the muzzle brake. I know it will be hard to finally get the brake into place with the crush washer giving resistance. Do I need any other special tools or can I do this with a rubber mallet? Any info you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 1:35 AM
In proper use, you install the crush washer between the muzzle device and barrel, small end towards the barrel.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/crush-washer-installation.jpg

Simply tighten the muzzle device until it aligns.
There should be at least 90 degrees of crush.
If there is not at least 90 degrees of crush, go around another full turn.

Crush washers do NOT generally get re-used after being crushed the first time so use a new one with each new installation.

Teletiger7
11-13-2007, 9:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out.

McMadCow
12-27-2007, 8:29 AM
I was about to post the same question but I figured I'd do a little searching first. Thanks for the advice on installation Randall, but my trouble is coming during removal of the old one. As in, it won't come off! Got any ideas on how to make this happen? It's a SIG556 and there's a crush washer on there, but it won't turn even a little bit. Any advice you have to remove this darn thing would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

ar15barrels
12-27-2007, 9:45 AM
my trouble is coming during removal of the old one. As in, it won't come off! Got any ideas on how to make this happen? It's a SIG556 and there's a crush washer on there, but it won't turn even a little bit. Any advice you have to remove this darn thing would be greatly appreciated.

Find a padded chair.
Set your rifle on the padded chair with the muzzle pointing sideways to your strong side.
Sit your padded butt down on the rifle.
Apply a wrench to the muzzle device.
Make sure you are twisting in the right direction.

blackbok
01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Didn't want to start another thread since my question is so close...

I just got a new brake. The original hider had a washer (not crush). When I screw down the new brake, it tightens just past proper index, no way I can go all the way around again. When I thread it on with no washer, it lines up fine, and tight.

Do I NEED a washer on there? I know I can order a crush washer, but honestly I dont want to crank on the barrel any more than I have to. I can also grind down the existing washer to an acceptable thickness. If I dont have to, I wont.

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Didn't want to start another thread since my question is so close...

I just got a new brake. The original hider had a washer (not crush). When I screw down the new brake, it tightens just past proper index, no way I can go all the way around again. When I thread it on with no washer, it lines up fine, and tight.

Do I NEED a washer on there? I know I can order a crush washer, but honestly I dont want to crank on the barrel any more than I have to. I can also grind down the existing washer to an acceptable thickness. If I dont have to, I wont.

Buy lottery tickets, most people are not that lucky.
If it aligns properly without a washer when it's tight, you are good. :)

blackbok
01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Buy lottery tickets, most people are not that lucky.
If it aligns properly without a washer when it's tight, you are good. :)

Awesome thanks!

OptionX3
01-07-2008, 1:15 AM
Find a padded chair.
Set your rifle on the padded chair with the muzzle pointing sideways to your strong side.

Is the torque applied to the upper itself negligible and safe? That is a much easier method then using 2 wood planks gripped in a vise. I'm pretty anal so....

ar15barrels
01-07-2008, 9:02 AM
Is the torque applied to the upper itself negligible and safe? That is a much easier method then using 2 wood planks gripped in a vise. I'm pretty anal so....

2 wood planks is better if you have a vise, which some people don't.
2 wood planks don't work for A1/A2 receivers.

SixPointEight
06-22-2010, 2:22 PM
Find a padded chair.

I know this is a necropost, but thanks to Randall here I have replaced my flash hider. Thanks man