PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a sniperscope re: title 2 part 4 penal code

tdo315
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/244.php

Section 468

I assume this pertains to night vision and not a regular rifle scope correct?

510dat
11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.

I assume this pertains to night vision and not a regular rifle scope correct?
Yep. Because bullets hurt more at night.

Librarian
11-12-2007, 11:16 PM
See slightly earlier thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=72523

bwiese
11-12-2007, 11:17 PM
It does not refer to nonilluminating night vision ("starlight") scopes or that use passive IR.

The law only address those scopes that have built-in illuminators.

tdo315
11-12-2007, 11:20 PM
See slightly earlier thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=72523

Thanks. I can't believe I missed that thread, guess I need to learn how to format my searches a little better.

hitman13
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
so regular nvg's attached to a kevlar looking through an aimpoint w/ a IR dot is legal or no??

wutzu
11-13-2007, 1:12 AM
so regular nvg's attached to a kevlar looking through an aimpoint w/ a IR dot is legal or no??

IANAL, but I don't see why not. The IR dot on the aimpoint can hardly be considered an IR illuminator.

A much more interesting question, I think, is whether it would be legal to have a passive Nightvision scope on a rifle that had a seperate IR illuminator. Like an IR Aimpoint with NV behind it on the scope rail, and then an IR flashlight mounted up by the muzzle.

Army
11-13-2007, 3:26 AM
Be careful, PVS-7 and PVS-14's both have built in illuminators.

M. Sage
11-13-2007, 9:36 PM

That's not a night-vision rifle scope with a built-in illuminator. That's night-vision goggles with a built-in illuminator used in conjunction with a rifle scope. Does it say anything about the second one in that law? :p Didn't think so.

Be careful, PVS-7 and PVS-14's both have built in illuminators.

It's only illegal if it can be attached to a firearm and has some sort of aiming reticle. NVG is legal, AFAIK. But I see the -14 can be used as a rifle optic? Ouch. Avoid.

Also, it looks like the -7B is starlight-only, but the -7D is illuminated.

chiefcrash
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
A much more interesting question, I think, is whether it would be legal to have a passive Nightvision scope on a rifle that had a seperate IR illuminator. Like an IR Aimpoint with NV behind it on the scope rail, and then an IR flashlight mounted up by the muzzle.

i was pondering the same thing...

aplinker
11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
The current logic is that you shouldn't have all 3 mounted on the rifle: scope, NV and illuminator. Illuminator + scope or NV + scope is ok, but add the 3rd and you have a sniper scope.

i was pondering the same thing...

yellowfin
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Exactly why did they see any reason at all to even write a law about this? Has there EVER been a case let alone any trend in problems with IR illuminated night vision?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Exactly why did they see any reason at all to even write a law about this? Has there EVER been a case let alone any trend in problems with IR illuminated night vision?

You should be asking "has there EVER been a motion picture or television program that depicted problems with IR illuminated night vision?"

Most gun laws in California are based on crimes committed in movies and television.