View Full Version : Stag Upper Problems

11-12-2007, 7:13 PM
I put together a new AR rifle. This is my first Stag upper assembly. Took it out shooting for the first time and am very disappointed.

This is a MMG build and I was using 30 round magazines loaded with 20 rounds each. I was sighting in my holosight and generally testing out the new rifle. After 3 mags, after the rifle was getting hot, it started failing, consistently. I had 3 different types of failures:

1) failure to extract
2) failure to eject
3) failure to chamber a new round

I got each of these separately and many combinations of them together. The best it would do on the 4th through 8th mag of the day was fail 1 in 3 shots.

I read the following posts:

and I wonder if I have one of these "bad stag uppers". How can I tell? And does anyone have any suggestions? Yes, the rifle was clean. Yes, the bolt was oiled. I will look at the various suggestions in the other posts. Also, I am using an RRA stubby stock, so it's a short buffer spring. Could this be the problem? I'm going to test this out by taking it out again, getting it hot, and once it starts failing again, I'll swap it to one of my lowers with a full A2 stock and see if it continues to fail. Even if this is the problem, it is not acceptable to me and I will consider Stag junk.

Oh, and yes, I was using crappy Wolf ammo, but I've used thousands of rounds of this in 2 of my Bushmaster uppers with ZERO failures. If this upper can't handle cheap ammo, then it does not meet my requirements. It was failing so badly and so often, it actually convinced all the guys with me to never buy a Stag. I'm actually quite bummed. I feel like I just want to write it off as a loss and order another Bushmaster upper.

11-12-2007, 7:37 PM
I know a guy in my gun club that is having the exact same problem you are having with his Stag Upper.

Seems like a trend here. I recommended that he send it back to Stag for repair or replacement.

11-12-2007, 7:47 PM
Mine won't function with Wolf at all. It runs fine with Remington cheap 55 grainers from Wal-Mart. I've searched a bit and haven't been able to find a definitive answer on what to do. I've been afraid to start a thread because I don't feel like getting "USE THE SEARCH" yelled at me.

I bought my Stag upper at 10% and I faintly remember reading about him having some problems with Stag uppers.

11-12-2007, 7:50 PM
We have some complaints on some of the Stag uppers we have sold as well.

11-12-2007, 7:59 PM
the upper can get a little sticky toward the 150 round count on new uppers. using good ammo, cleaning, and a proper fitting mag makes a big difference. i noticed for me, loose mags or shaky mags will tend to make ftf issues. i also tend to stay away from flimbsy aluminum mags.

also, i think the stags tend to need a break in period of a couple of hundred rounds.

Paratus et Vigilans
11-12-2007, 8:10 PM
FWIW, I've got four Stag uppers, and nary so much as a hiccup with any of mine. Two of them are 16" carbines and the other are 20" heavy barrels. I don't shoot Wolf in them, and never have. I don't know if it's the ammo your upper doesn't like, but before you dump the upper, it might be worthwhile to see how it runs on something else, and if it turns out it's the Wolf, and you're dedicated to using it, then put that Stag upper up for sale and get yourself another BM upper - - shooting is supposed to be fun, not annoying! :)

BTW, what's your upper? 16" or 20"? Is it one of the new "T" series?

11-12-2007, 8:18 PM
You mentioned the bolt was oiled, how was the carrier? When I break in a new upper, the bolt, bolt carrier, cam pin, fire pin, inside of the upper reciever and CH are very wet. Once it is all smooth inside and the parts are wearing into each other, I back off on the CLP a little. This is just how I do it. I am sure someone will say my way is retarded but oh well it works for me.

I am dissapointed in hearing about these problems with Stagg uppers. I like the quality of their stuff.

The funny thing is my "bottom feeder" M1S upper has been flawless with all ammo types and Wolf is it's main meal. Go figure.

11-12-2007, 8:37 PM
I had the same problems you had with my first AR build...it was my buffer spring. Since I was new AR's, I bought the "better", stiffer springs, rather than the regular carbine buffer springs. I switched it out and it has works perfectly ever since.

I don't know if that helped, but it's something you might want to give some thought...

11-12-2007, 8:57 PM
Do NOT use wolf ammo in the stag. Use good mags with good followers like the magpul followers. Most of these problems can be mag or ammo related. I haven't had one problem from my stag but I NEVER use wolf and I only use mags that have good springs and the magpul anti-tilt followers. Also, Use the standard action spring and buffer and standard A2 length buffer tube.

11-12-2007, 9:10 PM
It's a 3H - 16 inch M4 style barrel flat top no front sight.

I won't give up on it right away. I'll try oilng the heck out of the bolt and carrier. I'll try a different buffer/spring. I'll try "wearing it in".

But I'm still relatively disappointent. You spend a reasonable chunk of change, get something brand new, and get horrible reliability, or maybe reliability if you ginger it just right. It's just not right.

11-12-2007, 9:14 PM
Do NOT use wolf ammo in the stag. Use good mags with good followers like the magpul followers. Most of these problems can be mag or ammo related. I haven't had one problem from my stag but I NEVER use wolf and I only use mags that have good springs and the magpul anti-tilt followers. Also, Use the standard action spring and buffer and standard A2 length buffer tube.

My Bushmasters shoot Wolf just fine. And the mags are early nineties vintage Colt 30 rounders - the best ones I own. I built this rifle to be SHORT. 16 inch barrrel, "entry" stock. If I can't use it the way I want it, then what's the point.

11-12-2007, 9:21 PM
Does the Wolf ammo you are using have a green coating on it? I have heard in the past that this coating can cause issues with some AR's.

I agree with you on the fact that if this upper can not handle "crappy" Wolf, then it has to go. I think Wolf is the cheapest plinking .223 ammo currently out there. It would suck not to be able to use it.

11-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Might try over at Afcom. But IIRC with the wolf..as mentioned earlier its the laquer coating that seems to stick (litterally) when the gun heats up-- both on the way in and on the way out. Normally shouldn't be an issue with all the other parts in good working order and within spec. Now for the possible answer.

Again, with a mighty big IIRC, was signs of a Rough Chamber and some had cured it with a quick polish job. Dont quote me on any of this, but reading a SG thread here about much the same issue with cheap ammo in an otherwise good SG lead to a polish job in the chamber and it did the trick-which reminded me of a much earlier article elsewhere (Fruggel? Amback? Arf? I dunno) where this pops up from time to time.

If it aint the mags, and you know you DO wanna shoot Wolf (I do, 'cause I'm CHEAP:p for plinking) then you might wanna consider reading up on the process of polishing the bore...or take it to a smith who can do it for you.

Aint nuttin' like a finiky gun.........

11-13-2007, 5:00 AM
Both a friend and I bought Stagg uppers at a Cow Palace show from Cold War Shooters last Spring. My friend sent his back to Stagg with failure to feed problems right away. I didn't get to try mine out for a a couple of months but had the same type of problem. It would fire a few rounds than would not chamber the round fully. Called Stagg they Emailed me a shipping tag for a return to factory repair. Got it back about 10 days later and has worked fine. Give them a call.

11-13-2007, 6:06 AM
I've got a stag upper and it eats anything I feed it. I'm using a prince 50 with a (CL?) SS 30/10 mag. Since the day I first fired it, it has functioned perfectly. Eats up the old green laquer coated wolf, the newer wolf, rem UMC, black hills, EVERYTHING without a hiccup. I would say to that since this is happening when it gets hot only, try to use a LOT of oil on the bolt and carrier for while, because maybe the new parts just haven't "seated" yet. Also, when it gets hotter, the green laquer stuff does tend to start scraping off the shells and building up around the chamber, check to see if you have excessive buildup.

I don't think any brand really works all that well with that green laquer coated wolf....

11-13-2007, 6:55 AM
I am not sure if this will cure your problem but I purchased one of these for my rifle and have not had one single issue of any kind since I installed it.

My stag was having problems post 11 in the first link above. Even after getting it back from Stag it still had problems this thing works. I have one In all 4 of my OLL and I have no issues in any of them it even allows me to shoot Wolf ammo.

Good Luck,

11-13-2007, 9:46 AM
wow whats up with Stag? seems like they have a really poor quality control with their products. they must not even test fire.

im going to let my friend that needs an upper not to get a stag

u should of got a CMMG!!

11-13-2007, 9:55 AM
I love my CMMG, and im glad i listened to OpticsPlus and bought a cmmg upper from him over the other brands he sells.