PDA

View Full Version : AK Raddlock Magazine Lock Device Finished Production Model!

radd
11-12-2007, 6:39 PM
Finally got a chance to finish something last weekend.

What do you guys think?

This magazine lock device will use the same key that is found on the HK USC Raddlock to unlock the magazine. (one will be included in the kit)

Right now the pin I used to replace the original rivet in the proto-type is Stainless Steel. The final production maybe be steel with black oxide finish to match the rifle color.

I need some opinion from you folks to see, if you rather see stainless steel or the black oxide finish pin?

Also, this kit will allow you to easily reverse the magazine lock to the original magazine catch easily using the provided pin and clip.

Updates:

Due to popular demand, the pin and clip are now in black oxide!!

They are available now at locations below!!! If you don't see your favorite shop in the list below, then please let me know, I will try to make it happen.

Ade’s Gun Shop:
(714) 744-3373

Adxtactical.com
818-886-5008

Ammobros.com
562-865-3980

Bright Spot Pawn
951-360-1796

Cctactical.com
661-645-7742

Coldwarshooters.com
915-479-8553

Gunrunnerstactical.com
626-358-7711

Irvington Arms
510-226-7910

J&J Armory:
714-558-4867

Lanworldinc.com
801-878-4880

Riflegear.com
949-335-5410

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/AK_Instruction.jpg

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/ak_lock_left.jpg

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/ak_lock_right.jpg

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/ak_animate.gif

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/AK_Raddlock_Mods.jpg

The first batch of the AK locks I did not include instructions on how to deal with different manufacture tolerances. If your magazine is locked in place and you have trouble releasing it using the key, then you will need to file off the top surface of the AK Raddlock .25mm at a time or as needed. Essentially making the top shorter to allow room for magazine release.

Also the edge contacting the magazine should be rounded off for smoother release.

BTW: Removing Clevis Pin will allow the lock and magazine to be released to be worked on and test fitting.

Santa Cruz Armory
11-12-2007, 6:51 PM
That looks great! How much and where do I send the money? :D

adamsreeftank
11-12-2007, 7:06 PM
Nice work.

Very clean looking.

IH8CALAWS
11-12-2007, 7:10 PM
looks great when will they be for sale and where?

torsf
11-12-2007, 7:14 PM
Will this work on a PSL/dragunov/etc?

wayoutwest
11-12-2007, 7:58 PM
you know, its very interesting and getting the pin/spring out of the release is easy. BUT if anyone wants to travel out of state will have a hella hard time trying to undo it for a normal mag release.

I guess that could be both good and bad.

Addax
11-12-2007, 8:00 PM
Now that is RAD! (No pun intended)

Nice job Radd.

Let me know when they are ready, I have a couple of AK rifles ready for it.

Thanks,
Addax

zeekster
11-12-2007, 9:17 PM
holy cow! I want I want I want....:jump:

Oh, I vote for black instead of stainless

11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Looks good. Now I need to get an AK!

scubamark13
11-13-2007, 6:59 AM
Nice job I will need one or two let me know when they are for sale.

Riptide
11-13-2007, 8:28 AM
Very very nice! Another great idea. I will be getting a couple of these when they come out.

GI_JOE
11-13-2007, 9:35 AM
I need some opinion from you folks to see, if you rather see stainless steel or the black oxide finish pin?

I would rather see the black oxide finsih pin. Nice work. Can't wait to get one.

Q
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
how about a s12 version.;)

fast318
11-13-2007, 1:45 PM
how about a s12 version.;)

Yes, one for the S12 since it's mag release is very different from an AK.

Oh, black finish please.

bigthaiboy
11-13-2007, 1:52 PM
Black oxide steel pin. Please let us know when they become available.

Beatone
11-13-2007, 2:56 PM
Yes, black finish please. :D

5150-417
11-13-2007, 3:04 PM
DAMNkjhgdfjhytfcvm!!! now i have to take my cws maglock off and put this one.

grammaton76
11-13-2007, 4:19 PM

Eh, depending on the maglock, it's either jjperl's maglock or Morepoop4u's maglock. CWS just sells 'em. I have a hunch they might carry these too...

Addax
11-13-2007, 7:18 PM

Why, just buy another Off List AK rifle and get the new Radd Lock ;)

One more OLL rifle in CA is always a good thing.

Funny, I just started looking for another AK today...

radd
11-14-2007, 3:09 PM
you know, its very interesting and getting the pin/spring out of the release is easy. BUT if anyone wants to travel out of state will have a hella hard time trying to undo it for a normal mag release.

I guess that could be both good and bad.

I guess you did not read my post on the top about "Easily Reversible" setup.

It took me less than 5 min to restore the original magazine catch. With the tools shown in the pix.

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/ak_restored.jpg

SunriseF150
11-14-2007, 3:19 PM
Great work.

radd
11-14-2007, 3:47 PM
Will this work on a PSL/dragunov/etc?

PSL & Dragunov will not work due to different dimension Magazine & Mag Catch!! Currently working on a version for it.

Anyone with Dragunov and a AK47 care to chime in and tell us if the Magazine Catch and the slot are identical?

Thanx

Radd

vandal
11-14-2007, 4:02 PM
Two in black please

PLINK
11-14-2007, 8:27 PM
Radd, Do you have an ETA and a price on this product?

radd
11-15-2007, 3:52 PM
Radd, Do you have an ETA and a price on this product?

Trying to get it out by next week. :)

Radd

sardaukar
11-15-2007, 4:06 PM
I like. Will have to jump on this when the product is ready.

jandmtv
11-15-2007, 5:17 PM
is the latch made out of plastic? if so wont it wear really fast with the mag latch rubbing on when when being inserted?

radd
11-16-2007, 8:45 AM
is the latch made out of plastic? if so wont it wear really fast with the mag latch rubbing on when when being inserted?

Sure, you can call my material plastic......

But calling my material "Plastic" is like calling Titanium just piece of metal. I prefer to use the fancy title of my material "Space Age Self Lubricating Polymer". Trust me this material is much more than plastic.

It is almost as hard as solid billet aluminum but it will not wear like aluminum because of the lubricating polymers that is fused with the material. Also, this magazine lock is designed with a "Eliptical Mechanical Movement". The AK Metal Magazines barely makes a scratch on the surface.

If you really believe plastic polymers these days are weak, then someone need to call HK and tell them to stop making Rifles & Sub-Machine Guns "G36, SL8, USC, UMP...." where the Metal Bolt rides agains "Plastic" receiver.

Radd

cactus
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Radd please let me know when these are available as well.

Thank you

jandmtv
11-16-2007, 1:00 PM
Radd, no need to get worked up, it was just a question.

223addict
11-16-2007, 2:05 PM
Sure, you can call my material plastic......

But calling my material "Plastic" is like calling Titanium just piece of metal. I prefer to use the fancy title of my material "Space Age Self Lubricating Polymer". Trust me this material is much more than plastic.

It is almost as hard as solid billet aluminum but it will not wear like aluminum because of the lubricating polymers that is fused with the material. Also, this magazine lock is designed with a "Eliptical Mechanical Movement". The AK Metal Magazines barely makes a scratch on the surface.

If you really believe plastic polymers these days are weak, then someone need to call HK and tell them to stop making Rifles & Sub-Machine Guns "G36, SL8, USC, UMP...." where the Metal Bolt rides agains "Plastic" receiver.

Radd

Radd, Are you making these parts out of steel tooling, or are you using RTV tooling?

radd
11-16-2007, 3:57 PM
Radd, Are you making these parts out of steel tooling, or are you using RTV tooling?

If I understand your questioning correctly, then its is none of the above.

My parts are milled from solid billet pieces from CNC to minimize weak points or air pockets. Then finally hand polished.

A lot of work and thoughts went into my products for quality and preservation of the original firearm aesthetics.

But, I always welcome criticism from anyone. This will help improve on the product.

Thank you all for the support and questions.

Radd

JMC760
11-16-2007, 5:35 PM
Nice work. I'll take three.

m03
11-18-2007, 9:41 PM
Leaning towards the black oxide finish.

I'll take one.

4 Brigada
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I'll take one in black

TacFan
11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
I'll take one when they are ready

radd
11-19-2007, 2:50 PM
Radd, no need to get worked up, it was just a question.

Please don't take it personal.

I was just making a point about trusting plastics in firearms.

Radd

mason1800
11-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey Radd, put me down for two. I just started looking around for another AK.
Keep them black.

mason1800
11-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I work for a polymer company, and beleive me there are some "plastics" stronger than metals. I would pick a pistol frame made of UHMWPE over alloys anytime.

Addax
11-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Radd,

Put me down for 4 when they are ready, I can't wait to install them.

Thanks for taking the time to do develop this solution.

To be fair, there are other solutions out there already, but this one is by far the best looking and from what I can see, the easiest magazine disassembly tool so far.

Kudos Dude!

Addax
Addax Inc.
ADX TACTICAL (Comming Soon)

radd
11-21-2007, 9:46 AM
Yes, one for the S12 since it's mag release is very different from an AK.

Oh, black finish please.

I've look into the S12 issue. I don't think it is very hard.

I just need a actual receiver to check the specs.

Hm.......maybe its time for another rifle:)

Radd

robitrocks
11-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Very Nice Work!

PIRATE14
11-25-2007, 7:25 PM
These are pretty cool AK mag loks....

Had one at the CM show and it seemed to function very nicely....

We have them ready ta go...........;)

Lateralus
11-25-2007, 9:10 PM
sweet jesus im in.

I checked CWS, im guessing 30 is the decided price.... sounds good.

It looks like there is a small detent holding the mag catch to the trigger guard. This is what the key pushes down before providing leverage, right? I jut want to make sure that it cant be manipulated by hand....

radd
11-26-2007, 4:46 PM
Now Available!!!

:)

radd
11-26-2007, 7:16 PM
sweet jesus im in.

I checked CWS, im guessing 30 is the decided price.... sounds good.

It looks like there is a small detent holding the mag catch to the trigger guard. This is what the key pushes down before providing leverage, right? I jut want to make sure that it cant be manipulated by hand....

The lock itself has a eliptical movement that aid in locking and release of the magazine only when a proper leverage is applied. Disengaging this lock without the use of a tool is virtually impossible, unless you have freakish gorilla fingers that can exert 20+ lb/in and maybe frankenstein nails.:D

Radd

huckberry668
12-03-2007, 4:07 PM
so Radd, when can we get the SL8 mag locks? i got 3 of your other models and they work great!

socalsam
12-04-2007, 8:47 PM
this ak mag lock works pretty good. i purchased one from c.w.s and installed in less than ten minutes.

bigthaiboy
12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
socalsam said: this ak mag lock works pretty good. i purchased one from c.w.s and installed in less than ten minutes.

:useless:

223addict
12-05-2007, 5:56 PM
Anybody else install one on a Wasr-10 yet? It went together smooth and easily and looks great, but my ProMag 10 rounders locked in now. I'm tempted to take a mill bastard to the mag rather than the Radd lock. I held off on putting one on my vector until I figure out what to do with the century.

scubamark13
12-05-2007, 6:04 PM
You really need to push the tool all the way to the mag. I think if my mags were one millimeter bigger I wouldn't be able to get them out. I haven't tried it yet but if you took a screw driver about the same diameter and gave it a little bend you might be able to work the lock better.

Good luck.

radd
12-05-2007, 7:10 PM
Anybody else install one on a Wasr-10 yet? It went together smooth and easily and looks great, but my ProMag 10 rounders locked in now. I'm tempted to take a mill bastard to the mag rather than the Radd lock. I held off on putting one on my vector until I figure out what to do with the century.

The first batch of the AK locks I did not include instructions on how to deal with different manufacture tolerances. If your magazine is locked in place and you have trouble releasing it using the key, then you will need to file off the top surface of the AK Raddlock .25mm at a time or as needed. Essentially making the top shorter to allow room for magazine release.

Also the edge contacting the magazine should be rounded off for smoother release.

BTW: Removing Clevis Pin will allow the lock and magazine to be released to be worked on and test fitting.

http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/AK_Raddlock_Mods.jpg

vandal
01-06-2008, 8:00 PM
I have the opposite problem -- two AK Radlocks in two guns and neither holds the mags as high at the rear as the factory mag catch. There is a little over 1/16" of slack. I am getting bolt passover problems as a result of this combined with the other tolerance stacks. Do you have a taller version I can file down?

ARRRR-15
01-06-2008, 8:34 PM
What if someone was able to remove the e-clip with their finger/fingernail and then pull the pin thus releasing the mag catch and mag? Would this technically be removing the mag without a tool?

jandmtv
01-06-2008, 9:30 PM
What if someone was able to remove the e-clip with their finger/fingernail and then pull the pin thus releasing the mag catch and mag? Would this technically be removing the mag without a tool?

lol, i thought that myself, but never wanted to say anything, there are alot of people that support radd and his mag locks, I'm one of them, so i didn't want to start a thread about it, but i realized that flaw when i installed a AK radlock for a customer at metroshot, and saw how easily that e clip went on, almost no force. perhaps if you replace the pin and e-clip with a hex machine screw and a lock nut like the shroud AK BB design uses, then it would be OK

EDIT: now i know people are going to argue that once you get the e-clip out and remove the lock to release the mag, there will be nothing there to hold the next mag in, well.... keep in mind that the law only states that you need a tool to remove the mag, it mentions nothing about the 2nd mag being held in place once you get the first mag out. but like i said above, it is a easy fix, replace the pin and e-clip with a screw and lock nut like the old AK BB uses. all in all, i still thing the raddlock AK mag lock is a better design than the shroud AK mag lock.

hiyabrad
01-06-2008, 11:25 PM
subscribe

zinfull
01-07-2008, 8:25 AM
If you are worried about the E clip just use a external snap ring. Those suckers will not come off with a finger nail.

Jerry

radd
01-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I have the opposite problem -- two AK Radlocks in two guns and neither holds the mags as high at the rear as the factory mag catch. There is a little over 1/16" of slack. I am getting bolt passover problems as a result of this combined with the other tolerance stacks. Do you have a taller version I can file down?

Who is the maker of your rifle?

I have not heard of this type issue from factory rifles. The issue I have heard were self built from stamped receivers, particularly ND3 receivers.

However, i would like solve some of these problems I have heard.

Please send me some pictures if possible.

Thanks

Radd

radd
01-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Man...... some of you need to trim your nails.

I have test this e-clip combination. The e-clip goes on easy, but it has very tight fit I can not remove with my hands.

If you are having this type of issue where E-clip is too loose, then please contact your dealer or me for replacement clip and pin.

BTW: I welcome any criticism of my products, to help me improve upon it. Jandmtv please don't hesitate voice your opinions.

Radd

thedonger
01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Hum I guess I'll hold off installing mine on my NDS-3 for a but.

radd
01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Hum I guess I'll hold off installing mine on my NDS-3 for a but.

I don't think its NDS-3 issue. Its building it to factory spec issue.

Things I have heard:

The hole for the mag catch pin is lop sides or uneven. Or it was drilled too low and the AK Raddlock is too low to lock the magazine in place.

I've tested this lock on Century Arms, Vectors Arms, & Yugo or Romania built registered AK and found no problem with it.

Please send me any information on your problems and the maker of your rifle.

I will do my best to find a solution for it.

I don't want to see people who spent their hard earn money to buy something that dont work for them.

Radd

vandal
01-07-2008, 3:23 PM
I have found out a couple things on AK Files.

#1) Home-bent receivers often have a slight bow to the bottom of the receiver, which effectively lowers the mag catch. That may be the case with mine.

#2) The thickness of the selector stop (which is sandwiched between the trigger guard and receiver) is how the mag height gets set at the factory. Thin it to raise the mags in the gun. There is no guarantee that a kit's selector stop will be a drop-in for the receiver it is going into.

So at best I can just flatten out the bottom of my receiver a little. At worst I will have to drill out the trigger guard rivets and thin the selector stop.

jandmtv
01-07-2008, 5:56 PM
Thanx Radd!

vandal
01-08-2008, 9:32 AM
Thanks for the tip on the e-clip coming off too easily! I tested mine last night and sho 'nuff -- was able to pop it off with very little finger pressure.

radd
01-08-2008, 5:58 PM
Thanks for the tip on the e-clip coming off too easily! I tested mine last night and sho 'nuff -- was able to pop it off with very little finger pressure.

Vandal, do you have the e-clip and pin currently installed on the rifle when you removed the clip or was the pin and clip not on the rifle?

Normally, if the clip and pin is installed on the rifle, there is barely any room or space to allow you apply any type of direct pressure against the clip without the use of a tool.

Also did you feel or hear a click sound when you attached the clip? That usually signifies the clip is on tight.

Let me know, if any of the information helped.

Radd

vandal
01-08-2008, 8:16 PM
It was on the rifle.

Vandal, do you have the e-clip and pin currently installed on the rifle when you removed the clip or was the pin and clip not on the rifle?
Radd

cal
01-08-2008, 8:37 PM
I have a AZEX AK and I'm wondering if I can remove the magazine catch pin/rivet without drilling the head which the instructions state? The magazine catch seems to be held with a pin, since it doesnt look like a rivet to me. I would like to know before i continue to try and push it out with a punch and hammer or should i go buy a drill. Am i being to fragile? Should i just knock it out with the hammer and punch without hesitation. Any tips would be appreciated.

vandal
01-08-2008, 8:47 PM
You don't own a drill?? Go buy a drill, regardless of what you intend to do with the mag catch. Otherwise your man card will be summarily cancelled.

I would recommend drilling. You can bend the triggerguard with too much pounding.

cal
01-08-2008, 9:04 PM
Haha. Maybe your right, but thats what i thought the guns could do that, protect my man card. I should just go out and get one, but was just hoping I could install it without shelling out money for the tool. I'll probably just get it since I'm concerned about the possible damage that could come from the pounding.

andrewj
01-17-2009, 2:56 PM
I just installed a Raddlock on my build. It wasnt as easy or as clean as others make it out to be. It took more filing and customizing than I thought and hoped would be necessary.

Now with that said, it works... and Im content :thumbsup:

Hop Sing
04-09-2010, 11:17 PM
can you please give me a call, I would like to carry your product in our shop. Thanks!!

bravosd6
07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I have a Raddlock on my AR15 and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't have it anyother way unless I lived in another state.

Its hard for me to tell but I want something like my AR. So when Im out of the state I can just simply and quickly switch it over to release with ease. Just like the AR's.

My question is does this do that? So when Im out of state it can be rigged to release quickly?

If not then I don't see why this would be any different from any other AK bullet button.

Full Clip
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.tweak3d.net/forums/imagehosting/22924925d83282ec0.jpg

hcbr
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
ooh me want! :)

crob
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Funny, sometimes you just can't win. If you start a new thread, you get crap for not using the search function. If you use it, you get the necro-post comments ( I personally think the above batman picture is hilarious). Just an observation, not a comment toward either response.

762.DEFENSE
07-11-2011, 2:12 PM
Why have so many people been raising threads from the dead lately?

bravosd6
07-11-2011, 2:12 PM
I have a Raddlock on my AR15 and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't have it anyother way unless I lived in another state.

Its hard for me to tell but I want something like my AR. So when Im out of the state I can just simply and quickly switch it over to release with ease. Just like the AR's.

My question is does this do that? So when Im out of state it can be rigged to release quickly?

If not then I don't see why this would be any different from any other AK bullet button.

762.DEFENSE
07-11-2011, 2:14 PM

Thanks for the multiple posts? :cool:

bravosd6
07-11-2011, 2:19 PM
Well, no ones answering my question. I'll do it again if people proceed to be sarcastic.

762.DEFENSE
07-11-2011, 2:20 PM
Well, no ones answering my question. I'll do it again if people proceed to be sarcastic.

I'm not sure, I only use Raddlocks on my AR's.

xxINKxx
07-11-2011, 2:24 PM

What are you even asking, your skipping out the details of what you want? If they make a quick disconnect AK mag lock?

Yes, its called remove it with the provided allen wrench, takes all of 30 seconds. The AK isnt the same as an AR, completely different gun and design of the mag release function. Therefor they dont make an AK BB that works as easy as the AR

bravosd6
07-11-2011, 2:42 PM
Ya bud im quite aware they're different...

I learned in school today they accually use different bullets! :D

xxINKxx
07-11-2011, 2:46 PM
Hopefully tommorow they will teach you to use the search button :)

bravosd6
07-11-2011, 2:46 PM
No but in all seriousness it would be nice if something could be developed to work like the AR raddlock but on the AK. Switching little pieces around out in a grassy field could be a pain in the arss.

bravosd6
07-11-2011, 2:47 PM
Hopefully tommorow they will teach you to use the search button :)

Thats how I found this:TFH: