PDA

View Full Version : Which ACOG?

Thorsen
11-12-2007, 2:12 PM
Well, I've pretty much decided on an ACOG for my AR. Hoping you guys can give me a recommendation as to which one I should go with.

I've got a 16" mid-length 1x7 flat top AR.

There are so many models of ACOGS and I don't know too much about them.

I found a pretty good price on a TA01NSN and it seems like it fits all the requirements for my setup. Would you guys recommend this model or is there another that I should consider?

By the way the one I was looking at is here: http://www.shootforless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_28&products_id=82

Before someone says "use the search button" let me say that I did and I found some threads covering this topic but I'm still left a little unsure as to how I should proceed.

Also, I don't know anyone in my area who has one so I can't really try one out so I'm basically just going off of what I've read so far on the 'net.

Centurion_D
11-12-2007, 2:24 PM
The particular model ACOG you're looking at has a crosshair reticle. The TA31F I purchased just recently has a chevron reticle. Both will do the trick. I guess it just boils down to personal preference. Either way you won't regret buying the ACOG. It's worth every penny.:D

EricCartmann
11-12-2007, 2:31 PM
I am really liking my TA11F. BAC is not that accurate, but it is fast. Aimpoint type fast but only with 3.5X magnification. Extended eye relief also makes it faster to aquire a target while gun is at a rest position.

The TA01NSN has a better reticle for more precision work. The short eye relief will not be a problem as long as you know your nose got to be touching the charging handle.

Both are very different and I like both equally.

REDHORSE
11-12-2007, 2:45 PM
I like my TA31F. Works great for long and CQB shooting ranges.

I use it for 3-gun matches and works fine for me. The BAC takes some practicing to get used to. You sort of have to train with it on the move or with moving targets, to get the full effect.

You can't really test it from a bench rest. You really get to appreciate it in a match like 3-guns. Where you get to run around and shoot at various targets, some moving and from many different shooting positions.

paladin4415
11-12-2007, 2:55 PM
I had a TA01NSN and sold it and got a TA11. I like it a lot more, but it costs quite a bit more money. If I were you, I would take a long look at the new TA33's. 3x should work great on a 16" middy and I think you will like the chevron a lot more than cross hairs. It prices very nicely as well.

OpticsPlus
11-12-2007, 4:30 PM
What style reticle were you looking for? I like the crosshair on the TA01NSN but some like others. We have one more TA31F left and should expect more soon and have a couple TA01NSN's and I can get you a good deal one of the TA338's we have left. Either way order through me here and not the website and I can give you a little better deal. The TA33-8 is nice because you get long eye relief and it is made for flat top .223 AR's.

jandmtv
11-12-2007, 4:44 PM
man... i got so confused with all the different model numbered acogs when i was in the market for one, i decided to go with a holosight for short range shooting, and a scope for long range target and hunting. but im still itching for one :D

randy
11-12-2007, 6:11 PM
The TA 11 is very popular which says something about it because of the high price. They work great and I much prefer it over the TA 01 series scopes. It's faster and I've lost the cross hairs on the 01 when shooting targets in brush.

Good luck

EricCartmann
11-12-2007, 6:17 PM
TA11 is no more than a TA11F.

TA01NSN is the cheapest because it does not have BAC.

Bladewurk
11-12-2007, 6:17 PM
Just got a great deal on a TA11 from a Calguns member with the "Donut of Death" reticle..it says alot that top 3 gunners use this scope alot..If you get a front lens cap you can close it and use it like an old Armson Occluded Eye Gunsite for up close stuff.. I think I might get a Docter on the HG instead because my tritium is not so bright.. but awesome clarity,reticle and most important for me eye relief! I wonder if Trijicon will put new tritium in my Acog for me?

DedEye
11-12-2007, 6:24 PM
I got to look through a very nice ACOG with a Doctor Optic red dot at the Ventura gun show and now really want to buy a TA31.

Thorsen
11-12-2007, 6:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. Really appreciate it.

Ok, after all the input, looks like im debating between the tallf and that ta31f

I do like that red chevron as opposed to crosshairs. It looks like the only difference between the two is the TA11F has less magnification but greater eye relief and vice versa on the TA31F.

How much is that greater eye relief going to help me out? Is it more important for when I need to take quicker shots(faster aquisition)?

EricCartmann
11-12-2007, 7:00 PM
whatever you end up with, you will be happy with either.

i just have to say though, it is easier going to a TA11F from a TA01 (same eye relief as a TA31F but different reticle), then vice versa.

randy
11-12-2007, 9:10 PM
Don't forget to check the FOV numbers it matters.

Thorsen
11-12-2007, 9:44 PM
By FOV are you referring to Field of View?

I'm reading a review over at arf.com of the TA33-8 ACOG and they were talking about how the FOV on this model was alot smaller than the TA11 and TA31 but that it's supposed to be that way because of how the aiming system is designed to work with one eye open. Apparently it makes target aquisition faster with a smaller field of view.

This is all new to me. This will actually be my first scope. This AR is my first rifle too.

There are a lot of positive reviews on this model and it'a a little less expensive than the others. I'm thinking of trying it out.

chsk9
11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
TA31 is what I will be getting (when I win the lottery!)...

Ryan HBC
11-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I tried out a TA31DOC a while back an I thought it was decent, but the eye relief just took all the fun out of it for me. I tried a TA11 and bought one the next day. The only disadvantages of the TA11 is that it is bigger and heavier, but not by much.

PanzerAce
11-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm going to be going with a TA11 when I finally get around to getting one.

I don't mind the extra weight, since the rifle is already decently hefty :)

ar15barrels
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM
You really need to shoot with each reticle to see which you prefer.
Or just do like I do and get one of each.
Doesn't everyone have 3 ACOG's?

DedEye
11-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Does anyone have a nice comparison chart of all the different models? I still don't know all the differences between the models.

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have a nice comparison chart of all the different models? I still don't know all the differences between the models.

Just look through this:
http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=3

There are nice reticle drawings there.

EricCartmann
11-13-2007, 6:37 AM
You really need to shoot with each reticle to see which you prefer.

should be a law. ofcourse that would make my buy one more to be in compliance.

ar15barrels
11-13-2007, 8:15 AM
should be a law. ofcourse that would make my buy one more to be in compliance.

Technically I need one more as I have two with ladders and one with a chevron.
Still no doughnut-of-death here...

JesseXXX
11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
The TA31F Rocks....

bwiese
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM

Uh, yeah, as a matter of fact... 3 ACOGs, 3 Elcans, 3 IORs.

Whee!

ar15barrels
11-14-2007, 8:03 AM
Uh, yeah, as a matter of fact... 3 ACOGs, 3 Elcans, 3 IORs.

You got me there...

I only have 3 ACOGs, 1 Elcan and 1 IOR.
Of course I have few Leupolds and a Trijicon Accupoint though too.
Can I count the Accupoint as half an ACOG?

DedEye
11-14-2007, 9:24 AM
Anyone gonna have some ACOGs that I can try for myself at Chabot after Turkey Day?

EricCartmann
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
You got me there...

I only have 3 ACOGs, 1 Elcan and 1 IOR.
Of course I have few Leupolds and a Trijicon Accupoint though too.
Can I count the Accupoint as half an ACOG?

only leupold mark 4's count ;)

JPB
11-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Never been a huge ACOG fan, but that TA33 won me over. I will be getting one of those.

ar15barrels
11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
only leupold mark 4's count ;)

Ok, I have 1 of those.

bwiese
11-14-2007, 1:00 PM
Anyone gonna have some ACOGs that I can try for myself at Chabot after Turkey Day?

Yeah I'll have an ACOG 4X TA32 on a Bushy M4 upper.

hkuspc40
11-14-2007, 1:07 PM
For the ACOG to be effective, does it require a specific bullet weight/grain to be used? Example: 55 vs 65 grain .223 or 5.56x45 bullet. I've read somewhere that it is, and wonder if this calibration of the ACOG applies only to the "military" versions, or also the "civilian" versions.

ar15barrels
11-14-2007, 1:48 PM
For the ACOG to be effective, does it require a specific bullet weight/grain to be used? Example: 55 vs 65 grain .223 or 5.56x45 bullet. I've read somewhere that it is, and wonder if this calibration of the ACOG applies only to the "military" versions, or also the "civilian" versions.

In general, each model is specific to a bullet weight and velocity (barrel length), but you can certainly learn to use one with different ranges for different bullets or velocities by testing to see where you need to hold for a specific range.

Out to 300yds or so, the differences are minor.
It's the 300-800 where you really notice the differences.

rkt88edmo
11-14-2007, 1:48 PM
In the optics section on Arfcom, there is a pretty comprehensive post about ranges for the bullet drop compensators and what they would be for your rifle, mount, optic combo. Mount height, cartridge, and barrel length all play a part.

Thorsen
11-17-2007, 8:21 AM
I hate to bring a dead thread back but I have one more question for you guys. If I were to get a 4x32 ACOG how much interference would I get from my fixed front site?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, that it would not be noticeable at that power of magnification, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Thorsen

bwiese
11-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I hate to bring a dead thread back but I have one more question for you guys. If I were to get a 4x32 ACOG how much interference would I get from my fixed front site?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, that it would not be noticeable at that power of magnification, but I just want to make sure.

I run 4X ACOGs and 3.4X Elcans with fixed A2 front sight towers without problem. There is a minor bit of low-intensity fuzziness at the very bottom circumference of displayed image, right at 6 o'clock position. It will not bother you, and if it does just get used to it and don't be concerned as it won't affect your shooting.

Thorsen
11-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Thank you Mr. Wiese. Have a great day.