PDA

View Full Version : Groups assail governor on guns

Noypi916
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Just want to share what's on Sacbee today.

Groups assail governor on guns
Some label him soft; defenders call him a centrist on the issue.
By Jim Sanders - jsanders@sacbee.com
Last Updated 12:20 am PST Monday, November 12, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (20)| Digg it | del.icio.us

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a quick-trigger, guns-a-blazing action hero in Hollywood, is being blasted by firearms groups as a Second Amendment wimp in the Capitol.

Schwarzenegger's signing of bills to require microstamping of semiautomatic pistols and to ban lead bullets in condor country has prompted gun groups to paint him as one of the state's most anti-gun Republican governors.

"Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger might as well change his last name to Kennedy because he is acting just like radical, anti-gun U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy, his uncle-in-law," read a recent statement by Gun Owners of California, a nonprofit advocacy group.

"We don't believe he has a very clear understanding of the Second Amendment and what it means to protect the right to keep and bear arms," executive director Sam Paredes added in an interview. "We're very disappointed in his decisions."

Others dismiss such criticism as grossly unfair, noting that Schwarzenegger's record on gun bills tilts neither far left nor right.

"I think a lot of the extremely right-wing Republicans, who won't even vote against outlawing assault weapons, they're going to be upset with him," said Sen. Jack Scott, D-Altadena, who has had gun bills signed and vetoed. "To me, he's just a reasonable person on the issue."

No one who is qualified to buy guns will be prevented from doing so by the microstamping or condor bills, Scott noted.

Aaron McLear, Schwarzenegger's spokesman, described the governor as "largely a centrist" on gun bills who evaluates each on merit, not politics.

"He's not a leader who simply kowtows to a particular constituency," McLear said. "He does what's best for California."

Schwarzenegger, in the past four years, has restricted sale and ownership of the .50-caliber BMG rifle, outlawed the firing of a BB gun in a "grossly negligent" manner, and removed a statutory disincentive for ammunition sellers to check the age of young buyers.

Schwarzenegger also has vetoed major gun legislation, including bills to require stores to keep ammunition in cases or behind a counter; prohibit adults from keeping a handgun somewhere that is accessible to a child; and require owners to report loss or theft of a handgun within five working days.

During the 2003 campaign, Schwarzenegger's first, he expressed mixed feelings on gun issues.

"I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment," Schwar- zenegger wrote on his Web site. "The U.S. Constitution allows for law-abiding citizens to own a firearm.

"I also believe that there are responsibilities that gun owners must follow in owning a firearm. I support the Brady bill (requiring background checks for gun purchasers). I support the current assault weapons ban, and I believe that guns must have safety devices or be stored as to prevent accidental discharge."

Schwarzenegger sparked controversy last month by signing two measures opposed by most GOP legislators: Assembly Bill 1471, the microstamping measure; and Assembly Bill 821, the condor bill.

Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, said his AB 1471 will crack down on violent crime by requiring that new models of semiautomatic pistols, beginning in 2010, etch the gun's make, model and serial number in two places on each cartridge fired.

"I think this bill will revolutionize how gun crime is investigated," said Feuer, who contends that the etching technology is proven and available.

Feuer said his bill, supported by numerous police agencies, will link casings at a shooting scene to the weapon that fired them. The bill also will discourage "straw purchases" in which someone buys a gun to sell it illegally, Feuer said.

Gun manufacturers argue that etching technology is unreliable and can wear out; criminals can sidestep it by using guns that are old, stolen or from out of state; etching equipment can be vandalized to render it inoperable; and casings can be planted at a crime scene to frame someone.

The two sides also disagree on cost.

Lawrence Keane, senior counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, representing gun makers, said AB 1471 amounts to a ban on new semiautomatics because it would cost about $200 per gun to redesign production facilities.

But Feuer produced a letter from a laser-etching firm Laserlight Technologies that estimated the bill's requirements would increase costs by only a few dollars per gun, at most, depending upon quantity produced.

Schwarzenegger, in his signing message, said the technology is "not without limitations" but that he viewed AB 1471 as an "additional tool for solving crimes."

"The only explanation for signing this bill, knowing that it doesn't work, is that the governor is anti-gun," Keane said.

Schwarzenegger's signing of the condor bill, AB 821, will ban use of lead ammunition while hunting big game in the California condor range, primarily coastline from Big Sur to Santa Barbara. California condors, once nearly extinct, now number about 300.

AB 821 hopes to lessen the risk of lead poisoning to condors that feed on carcasses of game killed by hunters. Studies have found elevated lead levels in numerous condors, according to a legislative committee analysis of the bill.

Opponents of AB 821 argue that there is no irrefutable scientific proof that lead bullets are the source of condor poisoning; that some hunters consider nonlead bullets inferior; that the ban could hurt ammunition sales; and that the state simply should ask hunters to bury their game carcasses.

Assemblyman Chuck DeVore, R-Irvine, said the two bills "enlarge the power of government at the expense of individual liberty."

DeVore said Schwarzenegger's track record lacks an ideological anchor and appears to be "increasingly driven by popularity in polls."

But Assemblyman Pedro Nava, a Santa Barbara Democrat who proposed the condor bill, said firearm issues are not always a fair political litmus test. Nava said he supports gun ownership, for example, but opposes use of lead bullets in condor country.

McLear, Schwarzenegger's spokesman, said voters support the governor's independence.

"I think the majority of Californians agree that he is acting in their best interests," McLear said.

Can'thavenuthingood
11-12-2007, 1:17 PM
Schwar- zenegger wrote on his Web site. The U.S. Constitution allows for law-abiding citizens to own a firearm.

Perhaps some insight to the Governor's line of thought?

The 'a' meaning singular.

Wish they would specify gun groups.

Did Sam Paredes ever present the facts he alluded to in responding to why the Gov signed AB 1471?

Vick

Richie Rich
11-12-2007, 8:26 PM
Nothing Arnold can say or do will get me to EVER support him again.. (short of overturning microstamping, the 50cal ban, the lead ammo ban and working to overturn the Ca AWB.

Been fooled by him twice, never again..

He is a Kennedy liberal in semi hiding. He will move more and more to the left as he furthers his political career.

I would rather have a liberal in office then a pretend republican.. At least you know what to expect with liberals.

Nra-Life-Member
01-27-2008, 5:52 PM
Humm.. Wasn't there talk sometime ago about have Arnold allowed to run for President... :chris:

otalps
01-27-2008, 6:16 PM
"I think a lot of the extremely right-wing Republicans, who won't even vote against outlawing assault weapons, they're going to be upset with him," said Sen. Jack Scott, D-Altadena, who has had gun bills signed and vetoed. "To me, he's just a reasonable person on the issue."

And some people wonder why the Dems get stereotyped as being anti's.:rolleyes:

outersquare
01-27-2008, 6:33 PM
when is the next time he is up for election and what should be done at that time?
what would actually be funny is if CA economy went into the toilet again and we recalled him too.

TonyM
01-27-2008, 6:45 PM
when is the next time he is up for election and what should be done at that time?
what would actually be funny is if CA economy went into the toilet again and we recalled him too.

If it went into the toilet again?

We never got out and now we're just about in the sewage treatment plant. The budget cuts to schools this year and next are huge, not to mention other state funding. I think it's time to repo the state owned cars from Perata and the like and save us some tax money. They get a salary, they should pay for their own things.

RRangel
01-27-2008, 6:51 PM
And some people wonder why the Dems get stereotyped as being anti's.:rolleyes:

Not just anti-gun, but those like him are ultra left. There in lies the problem. He either can't see the forest for the tree's, or purposely won't.

Freedom is something senator Jack Scott needs to remove. How then will you need government when you can fend for yourself? It has gotten to the point that a hallmark of American freedom is something to be taken away by people calling themselves liberal. Their brand of liberty couldn't be farther from the truth.

Bad Voodoo
01-27-2008, 6:56 PM
If it went into the toilet again?

We never got out and now we're just about in the sewage treatment plant. The budget cuts to schools this year and next are huge, not to mention other state funding. I think it's time to repo the state owned cars from Perata and the like and save us some tax money. They get a salary, they should pay for their own things.

Just one of the reasons why I voted against Indian gaming enhancement this time around. This state, and I knew this would happen from the onset, is as addicted to Indian gaming money as any heroin addict I've ever seen. Sorry Gov, you want to pull CA out of the budget sewer we're in? Start cutting social/political giveaway programs and special interest money and perks. And oh yeah, cut DEEP.

outersquare
01-27-2008, 7:14 PM
and start cutting at the DOJ/BOF :43:

Bad Voodoo
01-27-2008, 7:19 PM
and start cutting at the DOJ/BOF :43:

Seriously. As useless a government agency as I've ever seen. I mean, you can actually hear the sucking vortex coming out of the office walls of DOJ/BOF.

hoffmang
01-27-2008, 7:21 PM
And remember, Alison Merilees used to be Jack Scott's chief of staff and leg aide before that...

-Gene

AngelDecoys
01-27-2008, 7:33 PM
Humm.. Wasn't there talk sometime ago about have Arnold allowed to run for President... :chris:

Only in a Sylvester Stalonne movia can Arnold be President.

Rumor has it he maybe running for Fienstein's seat in the Senate in a couple of years. Would rather have McClinton myself but he'll probably run for Governor.

otalps
01-27-2008, 8:30 PM
And remember, Alison Merilees used to be Jack Scott's chief of staff and leg aide before that...

-Gene

That is really disturbing.

otalps
01-27-2008, 8:35 PM
Rumor has it he maybe running for Fienstein's seat in the Senate in a couple of years. Would rather have McClinton myself but he'll probably run for Governor.

I'd just about have anyone including Arnold in Feinstein's seat rather than her, with the exception I guess of all the D's mentioned in this article.

RRangel
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I just remembered recently that the California legislature had an approval rating of 41% or similar number. What a joke.

C.G.
01-28-2008, 8:31 AM
I just remembered recently that the California legislature had an approval rating of 41% or similar number. What a joke.

But yet, they keep voting for these jokers.:confused:

mblat
01-28-2008, 8:49 AM

Still better than US president or congress. :eek:

Bucc
02-09-2008, 8:08 PM
No, it just shows where all the real dip****s live.