PDA

View Full Version : I figured out a good Bullet Button tool for the field.

tenpercentfirearms
11-12-2007, 6:46 AM
Last time I went coyote calling, I figured out that a bullet wasn't the best tool to use to reload my AR15. I didn't like having to dig in my pocket for it. On my hunting coveralls I do have a pen/flashlight pocket on my right chest, so I just used my ink pen that day, but I needed something more.

So I went to the dollar store and bought a screwdriver with a clip on it that I could keep in that pocket. It worked fine yesterday while I was out hunting, but it sure is a cheap set up and I know the clip is going to break some time soon.

The other problem I encountered yesterday is I thought I had a Leupold Lens Pen in my rifle case, but it turns out I didn't. My scope got all wet from the rain and I really could have used a lens pen.

So knowing I need a sturdy tool and a lens pen, I figured out, why not do both?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/TPF/lenspen.jpg

I drilled a hole in the end cap and then took a machine bolt and a nut and attached it to the cap. Be aware there is a foam insert in the lens cap so drill through slow and then just push the foam out with a punch or the stationary drill bit. Thankfully the foam was not glued into the cap. The bolt screwed in tight and with the nut on there it is super sturdy. Now I can carry this in my chest pocket with much more confidence than that cheesy screw driver I was using and I can also have a lens pen on me while hunting too.

I might just have to start marketing these babies for hunters. Or you can always do it yourself. The Lens pen is around $10 and the bolt and nut were 39 cents.

Prc329
11-12-2007, 6:48 AM
Nice. I keep a set of allen wrenches in my bag so I just use those.

Full Clip
11-12-2007, 6:59 AM
I use a bullet. Go figure.

Paratus et Vigilans
11-12-2007, 7:33 AM
That's a nice set up, Wes! If you're going to carry something anyway, might as well get a dual use out of it! I keep trying to think of ways to use something already at hand so I don't have to go digging for it in my pockets. I've thought of putting a dummy bullet with an eye hook in the primer hole on a shoe lace and wearing it around my neck, like a house or car key when you're out running or playing ball or something active like that. I've also thought of putting something suitable on the end of one of those little retractable line things like they have for keeping pens on the fridge, and putting on a clip to clip it to a shirt or coat collar.

Lately, I've been using the "protruding first round from my fresh mag" method, and have been practicing a method for getting it quickly re-seated in the mag for insertion in the magwell. I figure, since you don't need to drop an empty mag unless you have a fresh one ready, you will always have your "tool" right there and handy when you need it. I'm also practicing a method for nudging the first round out to the necessary degree of protrusion to use on the BB. That is a little harder, but I think it is smarter than running around with mags with the first round sticking out all the time. So far, the most efficient method of shoving out the first round is to grasp the mag with your thumb at the front of the mag, and your middle, ring and index fingers at the rear, and your index finger then slides in where the bolt lugs would, engages the rim of that first round, and shoves it forward to where the bullet sticks out of the mag in front but the front edge of its case is right up against the front wall of the mag. If you are dropping a mag under an open bolt, you don't even need to add pressure to keep your "tool" in place. If the bolt is closed, it helps to use your index finger to apply pressure to the top of the first round to hold it in place so it doesn't just slide back into the mag when you push it against the BB. I've also found that the index finger can pretty easily shove the first round back into the mag with a little downward and rearward pressure, and if this isn't enough, I shove the front of the mag against the side of the PG, and that does it every time. Then slam the mag into the magwell, and off we go!

What are the rest of you BB folks doing?

tenpercentfirearms
11-12-2007, 7:49 AM
This method is mainly for hunting. You don't want to have to dig around in your pocket for a loose bullet or Allen wrench. You want to unload your rifle quick, jump back in the truck, and head to the next call or squirrel spot. At the range when I am on the bench, sure I just use a bullet or a ink pen.

I actually just had a really good idea. However, this baby will be marketable so I will have to get back to you on it later.

Army GI
11-12-2007, 7:49 AM
I use a bullet. Go figure.

I use a used lollipop stick. Go figure.

Bassxhead
11-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Looks good, i would dip the screw end in some black http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/293878_front200.jpg to protect the finish even more.

shark92651
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I've also thought of putting something suitable on the end of one of those little retractable line things like they have for keeping pens on the fridge, and putting on a clip to clip it to a shirt or coat collar.

You mean something like this? :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/510528842_f43743eacb.jpg

I've been making these and selling them on my site for several months now. So far I can't think of anything more convenient. I clip it to my belt loop when shooting. You reach down and it is always where you expect it and you just let go when you are done.

thmpr
11-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I use a twig...

shark92651
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I use a twig...

Yep, the free and simple approach always works well too. It's interesting how many discussions there have been about the perfect BB tool. A new thread seems to pop up about once a month. Rings, finger tools, devices attached to mags, magnetic devices inserted into the BB itself (outside of CA, of course), etc...

Fjold
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I might just have to start marketing these babies for hunters. Or you can always do it yourself. The Lens pen is around $10 and the bolt and nut were 39 cents.

So, we'll be seeing them on your site for $39? :chillpill: (It's a joke)

bigthaiboy
11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I like to use regular punches, set of three from my local dollar store.

Josh3239
11-12-2007, 1:23 PM
Also use punches. If I forgot them I use a bullet.

larryb
11-12-2007, 1:36 PM
You mean something like this? :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/510528842_f43743eacb.jpg

I've been making these and selling them on my site for several months now. So far I can't think of anything more convenient. I clip it to my belt loop when shooting. You reach down and it is always where you expect it and you just let go when you are done.

That is what i use. Great tool, wonderful idea.

tenpercentfirearms
11-12-2007, 1:56 PM

I saw these at the dollar store too and eyed them over, but I wanted something with a clip to keep it in my chest pocket while bending over and hunting. I think the lens pen is a great way to do it.

DedEye
11-12-2007, 1:57 PM
I bought a "Lucky Bullet from the Holy Land" in Israel for another member, and grabbed another one for myself specifically for use with a bullet button.

gibbygoo
12-15-2007, 9:35 PM

Is one of those camo colored? :43:

hitman13
12-15-2007, 9:45 PM
Is one of those camo colored? :43:
did you seriously bump a month old thread to make a joke?:banghead::ban:

bohoki
12-15-2007, 9:57 PM
how about a safety pin on your sling

would it work to pull the outer sleeve out a bit fill the hole with sand place finger over the outer sleeve and push?

Toolbox X
12-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I use a....., oh wait. I can just drop my mags like normal. Not that I need to drop them very often because I can legally use my 30rd mags. Good 'ol U-15. :)

ar15barrels
12-16-2007, 12:00 AM
I use a....., oh wait. I can just drop my mags like normal. Not that I need to drop them very often because I can legally use my 30rd mags. Good 'ol U-15.

oh wait. I can drop my mags like normal too because my lowers are registered. Good 'ol Bushmaster :)

RANGER295
12-16-2007, 7:47 AM
oh wait. I can drop my mags like normal too because my lowers are registered. Good 'ol Bushmaster :)

Go ahead, rub it in.:p

MrTuffPaws
12-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Showing how old you are again, I see. ;)

jandmtv
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
lol

FinalBoss
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
So, we'll be seeing them on your site for $39? :chillpill: (It's a joke)

lol

ar15barrels
12-16-2007, 5:54 PM
Showing how old you are again, I see. ;)

In some cases, it's good to be older. ;)