PDA

View Full Version : Can a FFL add time to waiting period?

RANGER295
11-11-2007, 8:32 PM
Is it legal for a FFL to refuse to turn a weapon over after the 10 day waiting period is up? I know the waiting period is 10 days to the hour, but lets say that the waiting period is up at 09:00 on the 5th but they say you can not pick it up until the 6th. Is this legit? If not, is there anything you can do about it?

tenpercentfirearms
11-11-2007, 9:16 PM
We know some FFLs won't let you pick up until the 11th day. Is it legal? Not sure, but that is their policy.

Now I am not open on Saturdays, so if your time is up on Saturday, then sure, I can hold onto it for one more day. You can come down and demand your firearm all you want, I won't be there to listen. :D

bwiese
11-11-2007, 9:23 PM
Sure it's 'legal' and you have right to refuse - when you buy the gun the FFL tells you what the pickup day is, and if it turns out it's eleven 24hr periods instead of ten, you can kill the deal and walk outta the shop.

Trader Jack
11-11-2007, 9:50 PM
Sure it's 'legal' and you have right to refuse - when you buy the gun the FFL tells you what the pickup day is, and if it turns out it's eleven 24hr periods instead of ten, you can kill the deal and walk outta the shop.

True with one caveat. IF you tell the customer BEFORE the DROS is done then the customer can walk without any cost. BUT if the DROS has been transmitted and the customer wants out you can charge them $25.00 EVEN if you cancel the DROS five minutes later.:chris:

metalhead357
11-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Is it legal for a FFL to refuse to turn a weapon over after the 10 day waiting period is up? I know the waiting period is 10 days to the hour, but lets say that the waiting period is up at 09:00 on the 5th but they say you can not pick it up until the 6th. Is this legit? If not, is there anything you can do about it?

yes, you can march RIGHT outta BIG 5 and take your biz elsewhere:D

RANGER295
11-11-2007, 11:15 PM
True with one caveat. IF you tell the customer BEFORE the DROS is done then the customer can walk without any cost. BUT if the DROS has been transmitted and the customer wants out you can charge them $25.00 EVEN if you cancel the DROS five minutes later.:chris:
That is something like what happened except for I did not realize it until later when I looked at the paperwork and counted the days. And I didn’t say anything to them…
yes, you can march RIGHT outta BIG 5 and take your biz elsewhere:D
How’d you know what FFL I was talking about?;) Actually this has to do with the transaction at Big-5 that I posted about a few weeks back. I am still dealing with them on yet another issue that I did not mention in the original thread that came up after the fact and was digging for anything I could add to my letter to corporate.

dfletcher
11-11-2007, 11:58 PM

Just ask them at point of sale what your pick up date will be. If they tack on an extra day you can decide to go ahead with or kill the deal, or at the very least not get a surprise extra day wait. Personally I don't really care about 10days or 11 - I hate the wait regardless of duration.