View Full Version : Can you borrow other people's handguns?

11-11-2007, 6:44 PM
Can you legally borrow and use other people's handguns when they aren't there? I would like to borrow one of my dad's pistols and take it to the range. He's no longer interested in such things so he won't be with me. Any law against borrowing handguns?

I haven't heard of anything against it other than regular cap mags and AWs, but being in the Kali, you can't be too careful!!

11-11-2007, 8:26 PM
Loans of non-AW firearms in CA are in fact permitted by PC 12078(d)(1).

The loans must be infrequent, and limited to 30 days per period, and between parties known to each other.
It goes without saying that all parties should not be prohibited persons (felons, violent misdmeanants, DV
stuff, etc.)

If a handgun, the lendee must hold a valid HSC card.

Note that hicap mags cannot be lent unless in presence of the original owner, so there's a chance (depending on
his setup) that you might have to scout out some 10 rounders. AWs can't be lent out either (except in context
of direct oversight/presence of owner).

Here's the law I just dug up...

12078(d)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent loan of firearms between
persons who are personally known to each other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30
days in duration and, when the firearm is a handgun, commencing January 1, 2003, the individual being
loaned the handgun has a valid handgun safety certificate.

11-11-2007, 8:39 PM
Great info!

11-11-2007, 9:01 PM
Awesome. Thanks Bill!
In this case, it's a 2 shot Derringer, so no worries about magazines at all :)