PDA

View Full Version : CA legal PS90 / FS2000 projects complete!

saki302
11-11-2007, 2:42 PM
For anyone curious as to the outcome, here are the finished examples of legalized FS2K and PS90 rifles :)

The FS2K has blind-pinned brake and thread adaptor in place, and plugged thumbhole (you can see the pin holes on the left side- snug stainless rod was used to pin).

The PS90 has a fixed mag (threaded rod drilled through mag- retained w/ loc-tite, wellnuts and nuts (wellnuts protect receiver), and 4.5" CD butt extension to meet 30".

http://home.earthlink.net/~sasaki888/fn1.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~sasaki888/fn2.JPG

I do not believe the FS2K thread adapters are being made anymore.
Both stocks were dyed black using water cooler/hot water/RIT dye.

Both rifes are over 30"- the PS90 just so, the FS2K maybe closer to 30.5 or 31".

-Dave

Nefarious
11-11-2007, 3:48 PM
Looks great!
Im now, not EVER going to look at this thread again... it will be placed on my list of threads to avoid.. due to jealousy ;)

Socal858
11-11-2007, 3:53 PM
looks very nice

Addax
11-11-2007, 7:23 PM
Very Nice!

What is the thread pitch on the FS2k barrel?

draconianruler
11-11-2007, 10:44 PM
:wub: Nice rifles!

TacFan
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Nice rifles ... they look like alien guns :D

PanzerAce
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
how are you supposed to load the PS90?

tai
11-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Why do you need to plugged thumbhole on the FS2000, and not one the PS90? Thanks

Bobula
11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
in for answer

savageevo
11-12-2007, 6:51 AM
It looks like a fixed 10rnd mag. that bolt at the end or beginning of the mag (depending how you look at it) keeps it from sliding out. very good idea.

69Mach1
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/drooling-homer.gif
Very nice pair of shooters Dave.

SigShooter
11-12-2007, 1:02 PM
Why do you need to plugged thumbhole on the FS2000, and not one the PS90? Thanks

I could be wrong, but it looks like the PS90 has a pinned magazine. "non-detachable" mag = "evil" features OK.

I am envious... those look like a lot of fun.

PanzerAce
11-12-2007, 1:52 PM
It looks like a fixed 10rnd mag. that bolt at the end or beginning of the mag (depending how you look at it) keeps it from sliding out. very good idea.

thats why I'm wondering how the heck you are supposed to load the thing

grammaton76
11-12-2007, 4:30 PM
Very Nice!

What is the thread pitch on the FS2k barrel?

FS2K barrels are blind pinned... dunno what the pitch would be since you can't get to it without drilling. If you were to have threads on it, you'd be in 922(r) territory anyway, since threaded barrels constitute capacity to accept a flash hider.

grammaton76
11-12-2007, 4:31 PM

Same way you do it with the CWS kit... pop the mag release, mag has some limited mobility, and you load it that way.

Of course, another option with both is pressing the takedown button to separate the receiver from the stock, then sliding the receiver (with mag attached) off so that you have access to the mag.

saki302
11-12-2007, 9:14 PM
The FS2K barrel conversion was a royal b--!

The top end must be fully disassembled to get the barrel out. Then the pin holding the flash hider in place must be drilled out.
I have no idea what the thread pitch is, but it's reverse and metric. I found an adapter on Gunbroker for it to take 1/2-28 accessories.

Then, the adapter was installed (and boy was it a b- it was tight! even without the blind pin it's never coming off again), the levang linear compensator was installed over that, and BOTH units were drilled for a blind pin, and pinned in place BEFORE reassembling the upper.

As far as putting a brake right on the barrel- 1. I don't think anyone makes anything in that thread pitch, it's weird. 2. you won't have enough length to meet the 30" minimum. 3. you have to fix it permanently to meet 922r. Oh... 4. the OEM FS2K barrel has an additional 'slot' for a pin which is not present under th erear ;shroud; of the OEM FH. When you remove it' it's quite ugly. The thread adapter and OEM FH covers this.

Another option is to remove the OEM FH and lathe it down, and turn the end into 1/2-28 threads. I thought of doing this until I saw the adapter on auction. A turned/threaded unit would probably give you enough length to meet the 30" min. also. Be sure to pin or weld BOTH attachments in place.

As to loading the PS90- the mag is fixed, but readily slides back and pivots upwards a few inches- plenty to get a hand under there and load up. You can also slide off the upper to load, but why bother? The FS2K is totally featureless so I can use my old AR mags. The PS90 can only use a 10 rounder anyways, so the ergonomic sacrifice of a plugged thumbhole isn't worth taking detachable 10rd mags, IMO.

As far as work to complete- the PS90 was a walk in the park. Aside from the dye job, the rest of it can literally be done with a hand drill (to put a hole through the mag and block plate).
The FS2K will require a mill and a SOLID vise to complete the barrel mods. I'd recommend a CARBIDE mill bit to drill the blind pin out- it's relatively hard and drill bits tend to walk.. The thumbhole plug was cast from 'Monster cast' and painted with hammerite :D
(bought the flesh tone stuff by accident!)

-Dave