PDA

View Full Version : Offhand Clinic Opinions??

NRAhighpowershooter
11-11-2007, 1:36 PM
Ok.. of those of you that attended John Armanini's offhand clinic today at Richmond Rifle Range, how was it? Learn anything? Good thoughs about it enough for him to want to hold more clinics for other positions?

M. Sage
11-11-2007, 1:42 PM
I need (a lot) more work.

He put on a great clinic, he's a good teacher. He mentioned a couple other clinics he'd like to put on, I'm down for at least the prone clinic.

I'm a crappy shooter (my target has seven holes in it. I sent 22 rounds at it. :mad: )

ETA: I really am kicking myself in the butt for being such a crappy shot.

Another addition: I've never shot high power, so... I learned how to use the pits and score, too. So at least I won't look like a total newb when I hit a HP shoot... till I shoot, that is.

snafu510
11-11-2007, 2:27 PM
The clinic was great. I've been shooting high power all year and I learned a lot today. I hadn't really put enough thought into my standing position before. If John does clinics on the other positions I will definitely be there.

Gshock
11-11-2007, 3:41 PM
John put on a great clinic, I'll definitely go to any other clinics he puts on. It was funny how small the targets looked from 200 yds and how big they were close up :eek:

M. Sage
11-11-2007, 8:42 PM
I can't wait to try the stuff I learned out. Unfortunately, I think I've got some plans I can't get out of for next Saturday, or I'd be trying my hand at Chabot's match...

I'll have to settle for hitting the 200 at the shoot-n-q and try to practice what I learned... along with ordering a SLED and dry-fire adapter maybe...

Is it bad for a Garand to dry-fire it?

NRAhighpowershooter
11-11-2007, 9:07 PM
I can't wait to try the stuff I learned out. Unfortunately, I think I've got some plans I can't get out of for next Saturday, or I'd be trying my hand at Chabot's match...

I'll have to settle for hitting the 200 at the shoot-n-q and try to practice what I learned... along with ordering a SLED and dry-fire adapter maybe...

Is it bad for a Garand to dry-fire it?

actually Chabot is the following Saturday, the 24th.. Next Saturday is the HP match at Richmond. :D and no it is not bad to dry fire a Garand.. Also as for a dry firing adapter.. not needed...

M. Sage
11-12-2007, 5:46 PM
actually Chabot is the following Saturday, the 24th.. Next Saturday is the HP match at Richmond. :D and no it is not bad to dry fire a Garand.. Also as for a dry firing adapter.. not needed...

See.. I didn't really think so, but had read (someone trying to sell a product) that it was a good idea. What about the single-load adapter? I do have a couple of jacked en-blocks that won't eject, though.. so I'll probably just use one of them (uh-oh, there I go, getting cheap again!). :p

The 24th, eh? Well... I think I can make that. :D

JawBone
11-13-2007, 2:18 PM
A+. Great Clinic. Learned more from the first hour than in all the reading I have done. Good info on foot position, mental game and setup. Rather than a lecture about sticking with traditional advice, John was talking about what works and why it works.

When we started shooting with all of John's instructions fresh in my mind, I shot my first four shots 10, 8, 8, 8. Then I flinched the next two, got frustrated and blew the rest all over the map with a bunch of low scores/misses. For me, that first four string is pretty darn good.

I can't wait to get out to the range and have at it again and see if I can hold my concentration longer. I think it is invaluable to have access to someone like John. I would definitely clear my schedule to attend any sitting/prone clinic.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-13-2007, 3:25 PM
See.. I didn't really think so, but had read (someone trying to sell a product) that it was a good idea. What about the single-load adapter? I do have a couple of jacked en-blocks that won't eject, though.. so I'll probably just use one of them (uh-oh, there I go, getting cheap again!). :p

The 24th, eh? Well... I think I can make that. :D

The single shot en-bloc is not too bad to have (I have one and use it all the time) It is not a necessity.. but nice to have....

One thing I'm not sure John covered is not bothering your neighboring shooter... one shooter I'm buddies with, we try to get squadded side by side as we banter back and forth while shooting.. especiallt offhand... some say you can't concentrate that way. but it's fun and I think I shoot better that way... my best offhand was last year with a 196 12X. and this was with us 2 clowns ribbing each other about our shots etc...(official disclaimer)BUT!! this won't work with everyone :D