PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt AK Receivers Question.......

Hopi
11-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I searched and couldn't find an acceptable answer..........

Can I send my homebuilt, stripped AK receivers to a FFL gunsmith to have them built into finished rifles?

bwiese
11-11-2007, 1:03 PM
Some FFL gunsmiths may accept these, others may be leery.

One sharp smith told me he's doing a sizeable number of fixups of homebrew AKs and quite often has to replace the receiver w/a valid production receiver (NDS3) as there's a lot of 'butchery' out there.

Receiver should have identifiable markings on it (good setup would be to have name/city, state, and some sort of serialization).

jumbopanda
11-11-2007, 1:53 PM
Why not attend a build party? :)

Sal
11-11-2007, 2:16 PM
I always have the people that make them mark it with

manufacturer (i use my intials then arms but it can be what you want since its you)
Model (again whatever you want, for a pistol must include PISTOL on it)
Serial number (i just use the date like 111107)
City it was made in(pistol use only, but good idea for rifle too)

And "Not for transfer"(not required but a good idea.

heres an example how i mark my guns i make

SDARMS
AKRG-PISTOL
111107 #1
Cerritos, CA

and on the side

NOT FOR TRANSFER.

You could also match your serial to the serial on the parts kit if you'd like.

bwiese
11-11-2007, 3:08 PM
are these butcheries done with just home builds or are there manufacturer butcheries also

I'm sure there are some crap commercial mfgrs. However, I think even the crappiest commercial receiver is likely to be in working shape (even Vulcan), and with the surge of homebuilds a lotta gunsmiths are busy just trying to get the gun to function.

m335i
11-11-2007, 3:33 PM
I always have the people that make them mark it with

manufacturer (i use my intials then arms but it can be what you want since its you)
Model (again whatever you want, for a pistol must include PISTOL on it)
Serial number (i just use the date like 111107)
City it was made in(pistol use only, but good idea for rifle too)

And "Not for transfer"(not required but a good idea.

heres an example how i mark my guns i make

SDARMS
AKRG-PISTOL
111107 #1
Cerritos, CA

and on the side

NOT FOR TRANSFER.

You could also match your serial to the serial on the parts kit if you'd like.

So you are allowed to have the letters "AK" stamped on the receiver?

bwiese
11-11-2007, 3:47 PM
So you are allowed to have the letters "AK" stamped on the receiver?

I sure as hell wouldn't. It doesn't for sure say AK47, and it's readily defendable, buy why add cop/DA bait??

Jeezus.

bridgeport
11-11-2007, 4:47 PM
The number one most common problem with homebrew AK's is rails incorrectly aligned, either slanted, uneven with each other in height, not running into the trunnion at the proper height etc, usually requiring removal and re-instllation. After that, the sky is the limit, too narrow at the top or bottom, too much width on the top bend (binding the carrier) and of course installing the trunnion canted.
those are just a few of the things I have seen. All kinds of headspace problems and lug engagement problems with the riveted home brews due to improper barrel placement. Also, many problems with mag height and failure to feed or pick up
the next round because mag is too low, and on and on.

jumbopanda
11-11-2007, 6:40 PM
I don't get how people can screw up homebrew receivers so badly. Even my ugly and sloppy builds run just fine.

bridgeport
11-11-2007, 7:07 PM
Ak builds are easy if you know what to look for.

jumbopanda
11-11-2007, 8:51 PM
Ak builds are easy if you know what to look for.

Exactly. An AK is a pretty simple mechanical device, and most problems should be easily identifiable.

MustangO4
11-11-2007, 9:23 PM
I don't get how people can screw up homebrew receivers so badly. Even my ugly and sloppy builds run just fine.

no kidding. I firmly believe in cut close, beat to fit, paint to match and mine all still go boom each time.

savageevo
11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
third world countries build these in there back yards with stone and sweat.:43: