PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried taking my new RAA Saiga to the range?

Nuuze
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has been hassled at the range with your Saiga rifle? I just got my 7.62x39 Friday awaiting my ammo to arrive for the range. There seems to be some mixed stories what people think of the legality of the rifle. Some say it's cool some say no they don't sell it for that very reason...

Looking at this list I can see why some get confused:
http://www.gunnewsdaily.com/rw718.html

What are your thoughts? Has anyone been to the Concord range with one?
http://www.unitedsportsmen.com/

Thanks!

deldgeetar
11-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Taken mine several times to Metcalf with no problems. The rangemasters were more interested in trying it than worrying about it.

bigthaiboy
11-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Range officers are not there to police the the range for AWs on behalf of the DoJ, just to supervise safety and that the ranges rules and regulations are being abided to.

My advice is to drive to and from the range with extra care and keep to the speed limit to aviod police stops. You haven't broken any laws buying a RAA Saiga, but there's always going to be a percentage of LEO's who are not up to date on their CA gun laws, so avoid drawing unnecessary attention to yourself on the road.

bwiese
11-11-2007, 12:51 AM
It's not listed and has no evil features. It's legal.

In an internal memo in Dec '05 or Jan '06, the DOJ wanted to list the EAA Saiga before they decided not to list (and before they abandoned 'listing' by throwing out AB2728).

If the EAA Saiga was to be listed, it wasn't listed before. Similar situation applies to the RAAC Saiga. The only listed Saiga is the Kalashnikov USA Saiga.

RossRinSD
11-11-2007, 5:04 PM
I've taken mine to three different ranges. Iron Sights in Oceanside and Pala out past Escondido. Both have a police presence. And of course Orosco. I've never had any problems and my Saiga is modified to take 30 round mags.

RideIcon
11-11-2007, 8:49 PM
can you get Saiga 12G here in cali?

bwiese
11-11-2007, 9:08 PM
can you get Saiga 12G here in cali?

A Saiga 12 is a semiauto shotgun with detachable magazine which is, by definition, a generic AW. It could be rendered into a fixed-mag setup (which is probably less useful than a regular auto shotgun) or having the gas system closed off and gas piston removed, converting it to a manually-cycled shotgun.

Some FFLs could perhaps make the appropriate conversions, but it raises the big "why" question because of utility.

DedEye
11-11-2007, 9:19 PM
A Saiga 12 is a semiauto shotgun with detachable magazine which is, by definition, a generic AW. It could be rendered into a fixed-mag setup (which is probably less useful than a regular auto shotgun) or having the gas system closed off and gas piston removed, converting it to a manually-cycled shotgun.

Some FFLs could perhaps make the appropriate conversions, but it raises the big "why" question because of utility.

There's a group buy going on for them, not sure of the current status.

Honestly Bill :rolleyes:, do you have to ask "why?" :p

RideIcon
11-11-2007, 9:30 PM
why is it a generic AW if id only has a detachable magazine, i thought it still had to fu-fill 2 of the items...

VAHEVAHE
11-11-2007, 9:38 PM
i have a question that has been swirling in my mind for a while that i never had the time to ask, if a police officer stops you and runs the numbers on your gun and they all are registered to you, wouldn't that be enough to stop the officer from believing the guns are illegal.

Nuuze
11-11-2007, 9:50 PM
i have a question that has been swirling in my mind for a while that i never had the time to ask, if a police officer stops you and runs the numbers on your gun and they all are registered to you, wouldn't that be enough to stop the officer from believing the guns are illegal.

I was about to ask the same.

bwiese
11-11-2007, 9:53 PM
I was about to ask the same.

They can't run the #'s on rifles to find out if they're yours (except reg'd AWs).

The only thing that might pop up is if they're listed as stolen on NCIC, etc.

Wyatt
11-11-2007, 10:05 PM
They can't run the #'s on rifles to find out if they're yours (except reg'd AWs).

The only thing that might pop up is if they're listed as stolen on NCIC, etc.

Because long guns are not registered, only handguns. :D

bigthaiboy
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Because long guns are not registered, only handguns. :D

Correct. When you fill in your 4473 and DROS a long gun, your dealer keeps the Dealer Record Of Sale (DROS) on file. It is not submitted to the DoJ or BATF. The two agencies have no idea what long gun(s) you have just bought. The process is only a check to see whether you are eligable to buy said long gun.

VAHEVAHE
11-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Correct. When you fill in your 4473 and DROS a long gun, your dealer keeps the Dealer Record Of Sale (DROS) on file. It is not submitted to the DoJ or BATF. The two agencies have no idea what long gun(s) you have just bought. The process is only a check to see whether you are eligable to buy said long gun.

I keep my dros paperwork with me , is that sufficient enough for a LEO

bwiese
11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I keep my dros paperwork with me , is that sufficient enough for a LEO

Depends on phase of moon, etc. And DROS doesn't necessarily explain rifle configuration. Being verbally agile and being able to clearly & logically explain Harrott and 12276.1PC and 11 CCR 5469 is important.

Those who have English as a 2nd language or who have weak verbal skills under stress should improve those skills. One wants to be fully expressive at a traffic stop but not argumentive.