PDA

View Full Version : Remember .308 prices, August 23rd, 2006?

Toolbox X
11-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Check the .308 prices Aug 23rd, 2006.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060210035919/www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html

submaniac
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
*sniff* ...feel like crying. :(

ghost
11-10-2007, 10:10 PM
and its all just going to get worse:eek:

11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I remember those days. I miss them so much. I am just glad that I stocked up!!

50 Freak
11-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I just spent $700 bucks for 1,800 rounds of 7.62x51.

Man that hurt the wallet....Wish I had sucked it up and spent the $340 for the same amount of ammo a year ago....:mad:

I have a feeling it's only going to get worse in the next coming year.

submaniac
11-10-2007, 11:53 PM
This may be a really dumb question, but I am a retard. What exactly has caused the increase in the price of ammo lately? Is it the Iraqi war? So all the .308 is being used by our guys...and the 7.62x39 is being used by the Iraqi troops (who are friendly to us). So is there any possibility the price will go down to pre-insane levels. Or is it a situation that it will continue to go up no matter what. Please advise. If the price will keep on escelating now, I should buy now even at these bloated prices. If the cost of ammo will eventually drop, I would prefer to just sit and wait it out. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

jumbopanda
11-10-2007, 11:54 PM
.223 is just as bad, the average price now being about 40 cents per round. I'll stick to good ol' Wolf, thanks. Those shiny brass cases on my leftover Remington stuff might as well be made of gold right now.

I'll probably never even buy a .308 rifle if this crap keeps up.

I think everyone should invest in a few thousand rounds of 5.45x39, because it's the only centerfire rifle round that is still obtainable at the low low price of 13 cents per round. A year or two from now, you'll pat your stash and smile. I've got 4320 rounds right now, and I'm thinking of picking up more, even though I haven't built my '74 yet.

zeekster
11-10-2007, 11:59 PM
aahhhh. 2006 ammo prices. when I paid 39.99 for a battle pack of SA 308 I thought I was getting ripped off royally!

deldgeetar
11-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Lake City has several million rounds of 5.56 PD waiting to be sold to the public. Same for 308. Iraq is switching to 5.56 M16s so the 7.62x39 market should come down. There are also new ammo supplies available from Montenegro and Yugoslavia for x39. The ammo market should look better next year.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-11-2007, 12:51 AM
This may be a really dumb question, but I am a retard. What exactly has caused the increase in the price of ammo lately?

The price of ammo went up so much because of the convergence of many bad things.

The price of lead, copper and zinc have quadrupled over the last few years because of huge demands from expanding economies around the world, mostly in China and India. This drove up the price of new production ammo and also made surplus ammo more valuable as scrap metal.

The price of gasoline has gone up dramatically. Ammo is heavy and takes a lot of fuel to move around.

The value of the U.S. dollar had dropped, making ammo much more expensive to import.

War has taken up a lot of the worlds ammo production capacity.

Countries don't have as much surplus ammo to sell off. They sold off all of their ammo stocks in the years right after the cold war ended. That means less supply. If supply goes down and demand stays the same then prices go up.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-11-2007, 8:02 AM
we can start trading ammo on the comodities market? :)

Kiba
11-11-2007, 10:26 AM
I remember soon after the Aussie surplus was available and had excellent reports that I paid around $650-700 shipped for 6000 rounds.

I thought I spent too much, but now I've come to the realization that if I were to sell the 4000 rounds or so I have left I could pay for almost 90% of my new M25 that Ted Brown is building. :eek:

I only wish it wasn't berdan primed, the brass is extremely size & weight consistent. I need to round up more pulldown LC .308 brass.

bobfried
11-11-2007, 10:46 AM
What really sucks was right around that time I placed an order for 10 cases, put in one digit of my CC number wrong, had it rejected and told myself it can wait. 6 months pass and I wanted to piss galstones.

jandmtv
11-11-2007, 10:58 AM
with the way ammo is going up in price i think we are all going to need one of these

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_AR-15_Rifle_Brass_Catcher.html

fairfaxjim
11-11-2007, 3:29 PM
with the way ammo is going up in price i think we are all going to need one of these

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_AR-15_Rifle_Brass_Catcher.html

Got a couple of them, and some for the other style rifles. Hell, the scrap value of the brass is greater than the relaod value right now.

fairfaxjim
11-11-2007, 3:31 PM
The price of ammo went up so much because of the convergence of many bad things.

The price of lead, copper and zinc have quadrupled over the last few years because of huge demands from expanding economies around the world, mostly in China and India. This drove up the price of new production ammo and also made surplus ammo more valuable as scrap metal.

The price of gasoline has gone up dramatically. Ammo is heavy and takes a lot of fuel to move around.

The value of the U.S. dollar had dropped, making ammo much more expensive to import.

War has taken up a lot of the worlds ammo production capacity.

Countries don't have as much surplus ammo to sell off. They sold off all of their ammo stocks in the years right after the cold war ended. That means less supply. If supply goes down and demand stays the same then prices go up.

And none of those things shows any signs of getting better in the near future either.

jandmtv
11-11-2007, 3:55 PM
how much is the scrap value of brass?

anothergunnut
11-12-2007, 7:26 AM
I remember thinking I could buy a rack grade Garand from the CMP, rebarrel it in .308 and the conversion would pay for itself in ammo savings because .308 was cheaper than 30-06. Today, the 30-06 ammo is still cheap from the CMP. Buy it now and stack it deep!