PDA

View Full Version : Can my son in Utah, give me an OLL AR lower?

brianm767
11-10-2007, 1:54 PM
I'm here visiting my son in Utah, he has numerous AR lowers for his personal build projects, most are not Ca approved, but he does have a couple that are OLL's and he said I could have one of his new Sabre defense lowers he has, I told him I doubt if I could legally posses it?

I believe in Cali a firearm can be given to a parent, child, or granparent and it is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement, but if it is a hand gun, then you do need to send in the form to the DOJ with a small fee notifing them of the trnasfer,

But in this case I dont know? it is an OLL, but we are in Utah, can he give it to me and if so could I leagaly bring it into Cali?

I think I asked about my son coming to Cali and giving me lowers in the past, and if I remember correct some one said you cant do it, becasue the two people, my son and I dont live in the same state and it was against federal law, is that correct ?

I have a feeling I allready know what the answer is. he gets many of his lowers here for $99 to $150, he said he pays $109 for the Saber's, nice clean looking lowers, I'd never seen them before, probably cost me $200+ fees in Cali. not to mention there are no FFL's in the Fresno area that I have found that will touch a AR lower.

bwiese
11-10-2007, 2:10 PM
Under CA law he can give you a lower. But that's irrelevant here..

Under Federal law he cannot - since it's crossing state lines. The lower needs to go thru an FFL since there's no interfamily-interstate exemption. If you and your son both lived in same state, then that'd be fine.

Your son would have to run the Sabre OLL thru a CA FFL dealer - regardless of where you guys travel to.

brianm767
11-10-2007, 2:12 PM
Never mind, I figured out how to look up my old post, and I guess it's still the same, (sorry i couldnt remember, I'm old) we live in different states, so it has to go through a FFL. no one here in Utah that I know will do it, when they hear your from Cali, they dont even want you in their gunstores, it's like you a walking plague, well atleat thats the way it seems,

So I guess I would just be better off to find a delaer in Cali and get one that way. or could he personally send it to a Cali FFL who could do teh transfer for us? or does he have to have a Utah FFl send it to a Cali FFL? if it ends up costing a ton in fees, I might as well buy it local

brianm767
11-10-2007, 2:17 PM
Under CA law he can give you a lower. But that's irrelevant here..

Under Federal law he cannot - since it's crossing state lines. The lower needs to go thru an FFL since there's no interfamily-interstate exemption. If you and your son both lived in same state, then that'd be fine.

Your son would have to run the Sabre OLL thru a CA FFL dealer - regardless of where you guys travel to.

So could he himself send it to a Cali FFl who is willing to do the trnasfer? or does he have to have a Utah FFL send it to a Cali FFL?

8200rpm
11-10-2007, 2:25 PM
He could send it to a CA FFL who is willing to do the transfer; however, some FFLs do not like to receive firearms from private individuals. In this case, he will have to use a Utah FFL to ship it to the CA FFL. But, I wouldn't be surprised if a Utah FFL is reluctant to ship an AR lower to CA. So just find a CA FFL who is willing to receive a firearm from an individual. It's perfectly legal for an individual to ship a rifle to an out of state FFL; I've done it myself after checking with the ATF.

Also, a Utah FFL cannot transfer a firearm to you (CA resident). By federal law, they cannot sell/transfer firearms to non-residents of Utah. When you're in their store, you're just taking up floorspace. That's why they don't want you in their store.

brianm767
11-10-2007, 3:12 PM
He could send it to a CA FFL who is willing to do the transfer; however, some FFLs do not like to receive firearms from private individuals. In this case, he will have to use a Utah FFL to ship it to the CA FFL. But, I wouldn't be surprised if a Utah FFL is reluctant to ship an AR lower to CA. So just find a CA FFL who is willing to receive a firearm from an individual. It's perfectly legal for an individual to ship a rifle to an out of state FFL; I've done it myself after checking with the ATF.

Also, a Utah FFL cannot transfer a firearm to you (CA resident). By federal law, they cannot sell/transfer firearms to non-residents of Utah. When you're in their store, you're just taking up floorspace. That's why they don't want you in their store.

Yah but they didnt mind taking my $200 I dropped on accessories, so even if I cant buy a fire arm, I can still spend my California green backs here. a customer is a customer in my opinion.