PDA

View Full Version : anyone seen a Magpul's Masada in person?

sniper_jay
11-10-2007, 1:50 PM
upper receivers are serialized, unlike the AR's.. once these things hit the market in "08, will we be able to purchase them like we did with the off list lowers??

bwiese
11-10-2007, 2:57 PM
upper receivers are serialized, unlike the AR's.. once these things hit the market in "08, will we be able to purchase them like we did with the off list lowers??

Don't think they're in full swing production., but

Are they banned by name? Nope, not on either list.

Are they banned by feature? Yes, as shipped.

Can they be adapted for CA legality? Of course. And friendly intermediating FFL dealers
here on Calguns will be able to adapt them.

I'm pretty sure Magpul is not in the Masada receiver business but will only sell complete rifles - which is fine and logical.

I'm sure there'll eventually be a BB mag fixing kit for the Masada.

It also wouldn't surprise me if an uncontrolled (i.e, nonserialized) Masada *lower* without pistol grip and offering a normal rifle hold could be fabricated readily.

Plan B is to close off the gas port and remove the gas piston to render it nonsemiauto.

xxG3xx
11-10-2007, 8:23 PM
i will be out of the state by that time :)

PIRATE14
11-10-2007, 8:59 PM
Seen'em............held them.....they'll be cool...........

Addax
11-10-2007, 9:35 PM

Then you will need to get a whole bunch of them for us! :D

Especially for me, since I like to to own all my rifles in 2's or 3's... :43:

savageevo
11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
pics would be great. I have no idea what you are talking about.

jandmtv
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
pics would be great. I have no idea what you are talking about.

+1.

Toolbox X
11-10-2007, 11:25 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/Magpul_masada_16fde.jpg

If you like the Masada, watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yWoMZIOCE

supersonic
11-11-2007, 4:59 AM

OH, REALLY?

tiger222
11-11-2007, 9:20 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/Magpul_masada_16fde.jpg

If you like the Masada, watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yWoMZIOCE

cool pic - never realized the pistol grip was not detachable from the lower - though it is in MIAD style which is very good :) but you'd think they would make it detachable so you could put other types of grips on??? or atleast change the thicknes?

hybridatsun350
11-11-2007, 9:34 AM
cool pic - never realized the pistol grip was not detachable from the lower - though it is in MIAD style which is very good :) but you'd think they would make it detachable so you could put other types of grips on??? or atleast change the thicknes?

Why would you want to change the grip? Magpul makes the best grips ever (or at least they think so), haha! It is an awesome rifle though!

MrLogan
11-11-2007, 9:41 AM
I can't wait to get a Masada. :D

fourXfour
11-12-2007, 2:25 PM
I just read in the latest Combat Tactics that Magpul is developing a version of the Masada with a 'hinged' magazine. It kind of sounds like the older Barrett fixed swinging magazine design. I'm saving my pennies!

Toolbox X
11-12-2007, 2:56 PM
Something I find interesting about rifles like the Masada is how people lose interest in the so fast once they come out.

I think the reason is they all look exactly the same.

Example: The Robarms XCR is a fantastic rifle, but once you have one, that's it, you have one. There isn't much left to do. The uppers are all identical. There are a couple stocks, and you can change the pistol grip, but nothing exciting. Move on to the next project because the XCR is just............done.

The AR-15 on the other hand, nothing can hold a candle to the excitement of the AR-15 and its infinite number of parts combinations. The AR-15 really allows the shooter to express him or herself. A great many AR-15 owners take more pleasure from the research and design of their rifle (which can take months or years!) and talking about their configuration, than they get from actually shooting the rifle.

It's interesting to me at least, and I like to think out loud.

-Grant

PS. I still want a Masada :D

bwiese
11-12-2007, 3:24 PM
Given the Masada uses AR barrels, there's a lotta things that can be done to it.

Also, the lower (nonserialized; the upper is controlled/serialized, much like a FAL) can be swapped out with different PG, I believe there's an AK style and one that takes AK mags.

Addax
11-12-2007, 3:49 PM
You know, Tool Box has a point.

I have sort of moved away from Traditional AR15 rifles and getting into more exotic stuff like POF Piston Uppers etc. but I still have the luxury of switiching between my POF upper, to my M4 upper etc. in less than 30 seconds.

Where I had to pick up 3 different SL8 rifles to have them in 3 different configuartions I wanted them in (still working on 2 of them) like shorter 16" barrel, Muzzle Brake installation, Different Optics/rails etc....

With an AR, I can have 1 or 2 lowers and as many uppers in different configurations that I want.

Yet, now that I have a POF upper, it blows away the traditional AR Upper, but for 1 POF upper you can pick up 3 traditional AR uppers.

I am not saying just buy AR's, but having a mass produced rifle where you can change an upper to have different barrels, calibers, optics, rails etc. is very appealing to many of us, where you are very limited with other rifles like the XCR, SL8, PS90, FN FS2000 etc.

I am still going to buy at least 2 Masada's when they become available. :chris:

virulosity
11-12-2007, 3:57 PM
Looks like a Robinson XCR with aftermarket stock...

...Put me down for one ;)

PIRATE14
11-12-2007, 8:50 PM
OH, REALLY?

YES.....Really......they had them at the 07 SHOT SHOW.....

FN had the both Heavy and Light SCAR rifles there as well.........

POF XP-308...

LWRC pistons....

SIG 556...

COLT 1020...

All the coolest things are there......you just can't buy'em yet......:rolleyes:

PIRATE14
11-12-2007, 8:53 PM
Something I find interesting about rifles like the Masada is how people lose interest in the so fast once they come out.

I think the reason is they all look exactly the same.

Example: The Robarms XCR is a fantastic rifle, but once you have one, that's it, you have one. There isn't much left to do. The uppers are all identical. There are a couple stocks, and you can change the pistol grip, but nothing exciting. Move on to the next project because the XCR is just............done.

The AR-15 on the other hand, nothing can hold a candle to the excitement of the AR-15 and its infinite number of parts combinations. The AR-15 really allows the shooter to express him or herself. A great many AR-15 owners take more pleasure from the research and design of their rifle (which can take months or years!) and talking about their configuration, than they get from actually shooting the rifle.

It's interesting to me at least, and I like to think out loud.

-Grant

PS. I still want a Masada :D

I tell people the same thing....do own a FS2000, sure....HK USC, sure....maybe one, maybe two but ARs by the 100s.......:43:

Addax
11-12-2007, 9:06 PM
Get them, we will buy all of them :43:

I just read a short write up on the FN SCAR 5.56 and 7.62Nato, those are some bad *** rifles!

YES.....Really......they had them at the 07 SHOT SHOW.....

FN had the both Heavy and Light SCAR rifles there as well.........

POF XP-308...

LWRC pistons....

SIG 556...

COLT 1020...

All the coolest things are there......you just can't buy'em yet......:rolleyes:

DeadAhead
11-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been saving pennies for the 762x39 and 308 versions.

E__WOK
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
You will probably see it again at SHOT 2008.