PDA

View Full Version : Disposal Methods for OLL

anotherone
11-10-2007, 9:51 AM
What is the best way to destroy and dispose of stripped aluminum lower recievers?

Please, no negative comments, I have done the math and have decided that the potential liability of possessing these recievers is simply not worth losing my job and family over.

Naturally I want to sell them but if I cannot I would like to know how to dispose of them lawfully.

Kestryll
11-10-2007, 9:58 AM
If you come to a point of actually destroying them, I'm sure you'll find someone who would give you at least 20 - 40 bucks for them instead.

No negative comments and no ragging, everyone has to make their own choices in life.

List them in the Marketplace, if you just want to be rid of them put a low price and they'll go.

daskraut
11-10-2007, 9:58 AM
cut it in half

Muzz
11-10-2007, 9:59 AM
A little fishing line and a coat hanger and they might make a great wind chime.

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2007, 9:59 AM
What is the best way to destroy and dispose of stripped aluminum lower recievers?

Please, no negative comments, I have done the math and have decided that the potential liability of possessing these recievers is simply not worth losing my job and family over.

Naturally I want to sell them but if I cannot I would like to know how to dispose of them lawfully.

LOL! Please don't destroy it. I will buy them off of you at my cost and you can ship them directly to me (I have an FFL) so there will be minimal hassle. I will even pay for the shipping.

I respect your decision, but why throw your money away?

Socal858
11-10-2007, 10:01 AM
id recommend selling them as well

Lohse
11-10-2007, 10:16 AM
If you are in the bay area I'll buy them.

Shane916
11-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Package them up and take it to your local post office where you can ship them out parcel or priority.

bohoki
11-10-2007, 10:29 AM
well as light as aluminum is it still sinks in water

and a hammer to the mag well isnt pretty

also last time i checked the mail still works to send stuff out of state

Crazed_SS
11-10-2007, 11:19 AM

Lol, I was gonna post this same exact thing the other day. I wanted to get rid of my stag-15 stripped lower.

I ended up just selling mine to the local gun store. Took about 20 minutes (cause they were busy) and I walked out with a check for $40.. spent it on dry-cleaning :)

See if there's a store in your area that will buy it from you. It'd be easier and quicker than drying to destroy it with a torch or something, plus you could get a few bucks out of it.

bwiese
11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
:nopity:

Hopi
11-10-2007, 1:09 PM
I'm not really a math guy, can someone explain the potential liability of owning and holding these stripped receivers in CA? We've been at this for a few years now......why the panic all of a sudden?

bwiese
11-10-2007, 1:16 PM
I'm not really a math guy, can someone explain the potential liability of owning and holding these stripped receivers in CA? We've been at this for a few years now......why the panic all of a sudden?

There is ZERO, esp for stripped receivers. It's become widely-known these are perfectly legal.

These guys just panicked; it's their life, if they wanna self-regulate beyond what the law requires, they can also live like monks, adopting bread & water diets, wearing hair shirts and staring at the sun.

CavTrooper
11-10-2007, 1:18 PM
Maybe the deep cover DOJ agents (members on this board) are launching thier fear and intimidation campaign. All of a sudden up and selling thier legal lowers, announcing it out loud, seems like a good way to cause a panic.;)

pilotimb
11-10-2007, 1:23 PM
If you're in the SF bay area I'll take them off your hands for a few bucks to allow you to recoup some of your investment.

If you want to destroy them, go buy an angle grinder from Harbor Freight and cut them in half with a cut-off wheel. They are your property and you're free to do whatever you wish with them, however I'd recomend putting them up for sale before cutting them up.

Hopi
11-10-2007, 1:25 PM
There is ZERO, esp for stripped receivers. It's become widely-known these are perfectly legal.

These guys just panicked; it's their life, if they wanna self-regulate beyond what the law requires, they can also adopt bread & water diets and wear hair shirts.

Do they see sparks or smell smoke? It is hard to understand throwing water on something that is clearly not on fire......

mecam
11-10-2007, 1:30 PM
Maybe the deep cover DOJ agents (members on this board) are launching thier fear and intimidation campaign. All of a sudden up and selling thier legal lowers, announcing it out loud, seems like a good way to cause a panic.;)

:iagree:

maurice05
11-10-2007, 1:30 PM
well if anyone is local to los angeles im looking for another lower for a build

KenpoProfessor
11-10-2007, 1:36 PM

Send them to my FFL in AZ, I can have any lower you can name. I'd be happy to give them a nice upper and home and take pictures of them growing up in a free state :D

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

blackrazor
11-10-2007, 1:39 PM
First off, there is no liability with owning one of these receivers. Zero. I have a letter from the DOJ specifically saying it's OK to own these receivers. Hell, that makes them "more legal" than anything else you probably have! Do you have letters from the Department of Justice specifically authorizing you to own ANY of your other guns? You computer is a bigger liability than an OLL.

That being said if you absolutely have to get rid of it, go all the way and TOTALLY destroy the receiver. I would suggest dunking it in a partially diluted bath of pool acid. After dissolving your receiver, pour the remaining liquid into a hole in the backyard and let the water and left over HCl evaporate, then you can scatter the aluminum chloride dust into the wind.

E Pluribus Unum
11-10-2007, 1:53 PM
I re-read the beginning post and it said no negative comments... so I have edited out the bad comments... it was a lot of work as it was 2 pages long:

Hello,

[edited content]

.. but if you want to do it, it's your decision.

P.S.
I will save you the trouble.. I will drive to your town... drive you to the gun store, pay the DROS for you to transfer them to me.

Crazed_SS
11-10-2007, 1:54 PM

Well I'm an overly cautious person by nature. The only reason to own an OLL would be to eventually build a rifle upon it. Since I dont plan on building a rifle, there's no reason to have an OLL. Personally, I dont feel comfortable with a complete Off-list rifle build after what's happened to BWO, CRTguns, the guy here in San Diego who had his Saiga taken, the guys in Orange County, etc. I live in San Diego and go shooting in OC a lot. All this stuff is too close to comfort. The risk of owning such a gun far outweighs the benefit for me.

Everyone keeps saying, "oh there's nothing to worry about, everything's fine and legal, build more OLLs and Saigas!" .. if that's the case why are people dropping thousands of lawyers and getting rifles taken from FFLs? This doesnt seem to be happening with any other guns, only off-list stuff. Clearly someone disagrees with our intepretation of what is and isnt legal.

Maybe if all this clears up illl jump back on the off-list bandwagon.. for now I have an accurate and reliable magazine-fed semi-auto rifle that works great and doesnt require any mag-locks, BB, creative grips/stocks, etc.

elroy
11-10-2007, 1:56 PM
please feel free to sell me any lowers you are afraid of for 40$ instead of your local store , what a deal , thanx

Fjold
11-10-2007, 2:18 PM

What a TROLL question

Anyone could figure out that just hitting a receiver hard with a hammer would destroy it. Taking a hacksaw or a cutting torch to it or 5 minutes with a power drill would do it.

Why the cry for attention?

8200rpm
11-10-2007, 2:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I just can't refrain...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8966/avatar6522am0pf0.gif

VanLogan
11-10-2007, 3:19 PM

If they are stripped what is the risk of having them if they are off the list?

AJAX22
11-10-2007, 3:50 PM
I'm another guy in LA who could use another build.

I've got something like 4 more uppers than i've got lowers right now.

Steyr_223
11-10-2007, 4:01 PM
I call shenanigans and leave it at that..

S

swift
11-10-2007, 4:15 PM
Seriously, I think many of us would be happy to pick up 1-3 Stag OLL (or some other brand) for $50 or so. Post in FS and you'll get more.

if you're in San Diego, PM me.

mecam
11-10-2007, 4:23 PM
I ended up just selling mine to the local gun store. Took about 20 minutes (cause they were busy) and I walked out with a check for $40.. spent it on dry-cleaning :)

You could've gotten more from CalGuns members.. I would've paid you $80 and shipping for your lower.

Diablo
11-10-2007, 4:27 PM
Wow.....:svengo:

Sam Hainn
11-10-2007, 4:50 PM
What a TROLL question!

Anyone could figure out that just hitting a receiver hard with a hammer would destroy it. Taking a hacksaw or a cutting torch to it or 5 minutes with a power drill would do it.

I agree. What a question to start a fire & the disclaimer is weak. Why include they are OLL - why give a reason unless that's a hot-switch? Why not just say 'I have some rifle receivers I want to get rid of and don't want to sell.' As Fjold said it's not hard to figure out, whether delivered to an FFL, sent to an FFL out of state, or destroying them. 943 posts on Calguns and at a loss for an answer? I doubt it. and what math? I think the calculator needs new batteries.

Of course there could be more to the story. Maybe a mistake was made & they're not off list? Maybe the Eagle/Armalite or the wrong Bushmaster were bought? Maybe the original poster was arrested for some lude crime and needs to get rid of his guns fast? Maybe they are stolen?

Iffin' so... they're only aluminum. Cut them up with a hacksaw, wheel-cutter, grinder, lay them in a line on some train tracks..... you could always go to the Brady Campaign website - I bet they'll offer good advice. :rolleyes:

tgriffin
11-10-2007, 5:06 PM
Something doesnt smell right I call shenanigans.

anotherone
11-10-2007, 5:13 PM
It is undeniable that several people have now gone to jail and had to spend a significant amount on legal fees at this point. Whether or not these are ultimately lawful is rather irrelevant when there are law enforcement agencies out there who will arrest you for having them in your possession.

Honestly, my hat is tipped to all of you who are sticking this out and breaking new ground. But enough people have been arrested at this point that I'd really like to just get off the band wagon.

Sam Hainn
11-10-2007, 5:26 PM
Did you say disposer? :D

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa93/SamHainn45/ARDisposer.jpg

anotherone
11-10-2007, 5:42 PM

Sam Hainn I must admit this bit of humor has cheered me up immeasurably. Thank you :).

DedEye
11-10-2007, 5:49 PM

But will it blend?

Kiba
11-10-2007, 5:50 PM

The thought is there but that won't work, the trim ring clearly says "ISE Disposer" and not "OLL Disposer."

:p

blackrazor
11-10-2007, 5:51 PM
It is undeniable that several people have now gone to jail

I deny! Who has gone to jail for owning an OLL, specifically an AR-style OLL? Anyone who tries to throw someone in jail for owning an OLL is in some seriously deep *****!

xrMike
11-10-2007, 5:54 PM
What is the best way to destroy and dispose of stripped aluminum lower recievers?You must travel deep into Mordor and drop them into the fiery center of Mt. Doom.

bwiese
11-10-2007, 6:06 PM
I deny! Who has gone to jail for owning an OLL, specifically an AR-style OLL? Anyone who tries to throw someone in jail for owning an OLL is in some seriously deep *****!

Correct.

Also, no one has been charged that I know of for MM-grip/U15-stocked rifles except for matters related to a nice NorCal FFL who's been targeted by Iggy - no charges were filed, and the county DA has blown off Iggy/DOJ.

Remeber that most OLL cases were triggered by events early in 2006. The BWO and another SoCal case had massive press attention and drama, and are rare exceptions.

Thinking you're immune to gun charges just because you don't have an OLL is plain foolish. An idiot cop and/or junior female DA could decide that a Mini14 or M1A is an assault weapon and charge you with possessing it. A guy was popped for illegal CCW in Hollister a few months ago even though he had a valid CCW permit. That will be resolved nicely in his favor, I believe Don Kilmer is on the case.

I will again note that most all OLL cases except two initial ones appear to involve males under age 25, maybe 26.

The cost of defending an OLL case has dropped thru the floor with the materials readily available, and esp with DOJ pulling its proposed regulation and Hoffman getting mention of it pulled from DOJ website.

If you're concerned about legal fees you need to ask yourself what you've done wrong with your life that you can't afford them and have to walk so timidly. Don't drive lowered Asian cars with cracked winshelds, don't look like riff-raff, shine your shoes, don't fall asleep at a hamburger stand with 2 OLLs in the back seat after having a burger & beer, and be verbally agile and able to quote 12276.1 and 11 CCR 5469 and key phrases from Harrott verbatim and you should be able to defuse situations.

guimus
11-10-2007, 6:10 PM
Back to the real question of how to appropriately get rid of them, I'd say selling is a better protection that destroying. Sell it to an FFL, get a receipt, etc. That way if some gov't agency comes after you for owning it, you have proof that it's no longer yours.

If you destroy it, keep at least the piece with the serial number.

AJAX22
11-10-2007, 6:20 PM
Back to the real question of how to appropriately get rid of them, I'd say selling is a better protection that destroying. Sell it to an FFL, get a receipt, etc. That way if some gov't agency comes after you for owning it, you have proof that it's no longer yours.

That is a good point...

dondo
11-10-2007, 8:19 PM

If you destroy it, keep at least the piece with the serial number.

The best avenue. Everyone should back off this guy fr asking the question. If he doesnt feel comfortable with owning it, he is trustin the forum with his dillemma no matter how absurd you might think it is. Quit being a dick.

Stormfeather
11-10-2007, 8:22 PM
The best avenue. Everyone should back off this guy fr asking the question. If he doesnt feel comfortable with owning it, he is trustin the forum with his dillemma no matter how absurd you might think it is. Quit being a dick.

Not quite how I would have said it, But I have to agree with Dondo here. Lets let it be, maybe the OP was unsure what would constitute actual disposal. We will never know unless we ask.

M. Sage
11-10-2007, 8:35 PM
Yep, Dondo wins this round for sure.

I think I'll lock this up...

IMO, the two best routes would be to voluntarily turn them in to the PD (call ahead, surrender them for destruction) or sell them. My vote is for the sale, personally.