PDA

View Full Version : Colt SAA 38 W.C.F Serial # 203484 1901 made

kakpataka
11-09-2007, 11:57 PM
A very good friend of mine has this . Pls see picture. he wants to keep it. I am telling him to sell it. I saw a similar one at an auction starting at 3k, except that ove had a manufacturing date 0f 1893 had an ivort pistol grip.
The bleuing is not there really but I would say except for that, Its in very good conditiuon.
Any ideas how much a serious collector would buy it for? I took teh picture at night so its kinda dark. There is actually no rust or cracking. I will try to take a picture in the morning if you guys want it.
A history of this revolver would be appreciated! I do like to know the approximate value of this piece!

MG
Sacramento CA.

Pls PM if you dont see the picture, I tried posting it with the post.

tunder
11-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Don't be in too big a rush to sell.

First step is to get a factory letter from Colt.
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp

Then you can see if the gun is anything special.
I picked up a Bisley several years ago that increased in value simply due to having the factory letter.

kakpataka
11-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I actually checked the serial number form a website. Seemed accurate based on the serial #. as having been made in 1901.
The letter from colt is about $300.00. This was called six shooter back in the day. The actual caliber is 38-40 the barrel only say 38wcf like the rest that I ve seen up for auction etc. The one I saw for 3K , has the serial # 104XXX and this is 203484.
What I also found out is that it is loaded by half cocking?? and teh sixth chamber was left unloaded so it was really a 5 shooter in that sense.

Here is some info that I found:

The Colt Single Action Army handgun, also known as the Colt Peacemaker or Single Action Army(SAA), is a single action revolver. It uses a revolving chamber holding six rounds, and is also known to some as a six-shooter. However it safely holds only five rounds at a time, keeping an empty chamber directly under the hammer to prevent accidental discharge if dropped or struck. It was designed for the US cavalry by Colt's Manufacturing Company and adopted in 1873. It was one of the most famous pistols of the wild west, having a similar fame as the Walker Colt and the Colt 1851 Navy.

Alan Block
11-10-2007, 6:41 PM
Colt Single Action Army revolvers are very collectable and some are very shootable. It would benefit your friend to find out if there is any extra collectability to his before he does anything with or to it. Do not refinish, buff, polish, sand or otherwise change it. A run-of-the-mill example should sell for 1500-2500 depending on a number of factors. If it has been refinished or altered the value is about half of what it could have been.

kakpataka
11-10-2007, 6:48 PM
Colt Single Action Army revolvers are very collectable and some are very shootable. It would benefit your friend to find out if there is any extra collectability to his before he does anything with or to it. Do not refinish, buff, polish, sand or otherwise change it. A run-of-the-mill example should sell for 1500-2500 depending on a number of factors. If it has been refinished or altered the value is about half of what it could have been.

I actually told him the same thing.! It doesnt seem like it has anything done to it.
I will post clearer pictures tomorrow noon. But if he decides not to keep it, where and how do we auction/sell it? We dont know much about selling guns etc so our collective knowledge is 0. Always bout guns/ammo form the neighborhood store! Could we actually put it up on ebay? if so , what are the legal requirements, if any, as to transferring it out of state or within CA via mail?
SO do you think it will fetch that price with the condition it is in? Perhaps, I can put up teh ad here for , say 2300.00? Would be better if one of our own guys here bought it!

Thanks for the help so far!

tunder
11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
kakpataka-

Not being argumentative,but the Colt letter for a Single Action Army should be $100.
E-Bay no longer sells guns or gun parts.
Yes! More pictures please.

kakpataka
11-11-2007, 2:33 PM
kakpataka-

Not being argumentative,but the Colt letter for a Single Action Army should be $100.
E-Bay no longer sells guns or gun parts.
Yes! More pictures please.

Thnaks for the reply! I will post the pictures soon. I ve been so busy and I had to go to the range myself with my USP45 over in Elk Grove!
I will check again with Colt Historical Dept. But I do recall , like two days ago that it said it will cost $300.00. I hope it is $100.00!

I figuired i cant put it up on sale on ebay. Once I talk to this guy over at Old Sac. Armory, I will have a better idea. I met him there once and he is big time into action shooting . Had lost his info but I found it. I think I should then put it up on sale here or gunsamerica.

kakpataka
11-11-2007, 4:47 PM
:chris:

kakpataka
11-11-2007, 4:49 PM
:chris: