PDA

View Full Version : Fake cans..just for looks???

The Gunslinger
11-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Do fake cans have any function than just looking good. I am looking to remove the flash hider and either get a fake can or muzzle break.....but I'm not just for looks I want it to preform as well....cheers all!!

mecam
11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Just for looks. May help dissipate heat from the barrel. I might sell mine and get a muzzle break instead.

tlillard23
11-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Fake = doesn't do anything.... Kind of like the titanium shift knob and pedals on your honda accord.... :D

used to cover an ugly barrel and get the SBR look.
used to extend the overall length.
used to permanatly extend an SBR.
used to make a short rifle fit into the rifle rack of a safe....

tenpercentfirearms
11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I am sorry but these guys are wrong. If any of you have shot a Stag Comp or RRA Military Muzzle Brake, you would know they are not pleasant. The nice thing about the fake can is it not only looks good, but all that blast and noise goes foward, not back at the shooter. I use the Spike's Tactical for my gripless build for the looks and function.

mecam
11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I am sorry but these guys are wrong. If any of you have shot a Stag Comp or RRA Military Muzzle Brake, you would know they are not pleasant. The nice thing about the fake can is it not only looks good, but all that blast and noise goes foward, not back at the shooter. I use the Spike's Tactical for my gripless build for the looks and function.

I have stood behind a shooter who was in a prone position with a muzzle brake and it feels like you got socked in the face.

Citadelgrad87
11-09-2007, 11:39 AM
How is that different than a bare muzzle?

Sure, breaks are pretty intense, but simply having the barrel end at the legal length seems like it would operate the same as a fake can.

rorschach
11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Pinned fake cans can also bring your short barrel over 16", or 30" OAL, if needed.

Cardinal Sin
11-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I have stood behind a shooter who was in a prone position with a muzzle brake and it feels like you got socked in the face.

I really dont see the big deal with muzzle brake noise. Some people make it sound like it your next to a 20mm chaingun without hearing protection, (done that chasing bad guys). Its a gun, it goes boom, it makes noise, life goes on. :rolleyes:

mecam
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I really dont see the big deal with muzzle brake noise. Some people make it sound like it your next to a 20mm chaingun without hearing protection, (done that chasing bad guys). Its a gun, it goes boom, it makes noise, life goes on. :rolleyes:

It's not the noise, its the blast that you feel.

JHC
11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I know I should always be wearing hearing protection and usually do but must admit that occasionally I skip it, shooting my AR with a flash-hider is tolerable but when I shoot with my upper that has a compensator on it I get ringing in the ears immediately.

megavolt121
11-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Also depends on the range you are shooting at. The one I primarily shoot at has a rifle house that's 5-6 lanes wide. Redirecting muzzle blast back into the house isn't a pleasant experience.

BillCA
11-09-2007, 1:54 PM
would'nt that be a flash suppressor then.

"any device designed , intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision"

No. You are confusing the visible light flash with the sound or pressure wave generated by the escaping gasses. A "flash suppressor" may redirect gasses in a way that reduces or eliminates the visible muzzle flash the operator sees, while other devices may redirect the gasses in a manner that reduces felt recoil (muzzle brake) and/or moderates the pressure wave formed when the bullet leaves the muzzle (suppressor).

It should be noted that some muzzle breaks do tend to reduce the operator's perception of the sharpness or loudness of the gun firing. Sometimes the side effect of that is that people standing where the gasses are redirected feel the pressure wave more intensely.

Cardinal Sin
11-09-2007, 4:31 PM
It's not the noise, its the blast that you feel.

Never been bothered by it. Just that I have seem some people act like its the end of the world when they see a person setup with a muzzle break on their rifle. Seems like they over react. The part I find funny is that this happens at a gun range of all places:p

NeoWeird
11-09-2007, 9:52 PM
To get back towards the OP's question...

They CAN help the barrel by adding mass and making the barrel less responsive to recoil and vibration. They can also help disipate vibration and make subsequent shots less 'walkable' when done within short time periods. This can also have an adverse effect as once it's moving it will be moving with more force, so on larger rifles it can actually throw off shots if done within a short time period. They also add extra mass to the end of the muzzle that can ake the barrel droop slightly downward. We are not talking anything visible here, maybe a couple thousandths at the worst, but dropping a couple thousandth of barrel muzzle can drop you a couple inches at 100yds and MUCH worse even farther out. In some free states people use them on handguns to add extra mass in the forward portion of the gun to help tame recoil.

Honestly, 90% of people use them for looks and the other 10% are using them as solutions to problems that don't really exist. They DO have their purpose, but they are RARELY ever used for them.

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2007, 8:42 AM
If you don't understand what the big deal about muzzle brakes on ARs is, then you have never shot an AR15 with a muzzle brake or stood by someone who has. All the muzzle brakes I sell with the exception of the RRA Tactical Brake are unpleasant to shoot. They are much louder even with ear plugs on and the felt concussion is unpleasant to shoot. Again, you won't understand this until you try it, so saying "it isn't a big deal" when you haven't shot these things is pretty silly.

"any device designed , intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision"Again, another person who has never shot an AR15 with a fake can. There is actually more flash, but I never said anything about flash, I said noise and blast. A fake can is no different than having a non threaded barrel.

How is that different than a bare muzzle?

Sure, breaks are pretty intense, but simply having the barrel end at the legal length seems like it would operate the same as a fake can.You are right, it is like having a bare muzzle with no threads. The point of the fake can is you bought an upper with threads and you want to make it featureless for a MMG or U15 build. You might have tried muzzle brakes and found them unpleasant and now you just want something simple, so you buy a fake can.

Guys, I know what I am talking about. I have tested all of these things and here are the results I found.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49684&highlight=muzzle

If you have also done this and you have found that you don't notice a difference, then I can't argue with your preferences. If you have never tried any of this and are giving us your opinions without experience by using logic or reasoning, that isn't very wise or accurate.

I did some tests and I gave my preferences. My friend helping me and I most certainly noticed a difference.

megavolt121
11-10-2007, 8:48 AM

"any device designed , intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision"

No, I have fired some reloaded ammo that shoots fireballs out of the muzzle with a fake can. The same ammo fired out of a normal A2 flash hider gave no fireball.

Paratus et Vigilans
11-10-2007, 8:50 AM
Wes isn't pulling your chain about the noise and blast from muzzle brakes - he hates shooting next to my muzzle braked builds! I on the other hand derive a kind of sick satisfaction from the extra noise and blast - - but then, I enjoyed playing on the offensive line, too, so that tells you something about my preferences, doesn't it????

Now Wes, he really digs the fake cans, while to me, they're not all that attractive, but hey, that's the great thing about EBR's, there are so many ways to build and outfit them!

BTW, Wes, while you were at school, Becky sold me TWO more Stag mb's, and I want one more still!

What? :eek: I couldn't hear what you said . . . damn loud rifles! :D

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2007, 9:07 AM
Wes isn't pulling your chain about the noise and blast from muzzle brakes - he hates shooting next to my muzzle braked builds! I on the other hand derive a kind of sick satisfaction from the extra noise and blast - - but then, I enjoyed playing on the offensive line, too, so that tells you something about my preferences, doesn't it????

I forgot about that muzzle brake you had! That thing sucked something completely inappropriate to describe on this family oriented discussion board. Man that was not fun for me, but I think Paratus was enjoying me whine.

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2007, 10:07 AM
you are right i have never shot with a fake can.i misinterpreted blast for flash which is why i asked the question. i personally like the rra tactical muzzle break. i like how loud and irritating it is. if the fake can gives me a fire breathing dragon then i think i'll get one just because of the intensified flash. what break did paratus have. i want one of those too

I found the RRA Tactical Muzzle Brake to be the most enjoyable of any brakes I had! The fake can definitely is a fire breating dragon in lower light levels.

But not like the Mosin!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/DSC00099.jpg

Paratus et Vigilans
11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
you are right i have never shot with a fake can.i misinterpreted blast for flash which is why i asked the question. i personally like the rra tactical muzzle break. i like how loud and irritating it is. if the fake can gives me a fire breathing dragon then i think i'll get one just because of the intensified flash. what break did paratus have. i want one of those too

The one Wes really hates is a Mini Y-comp from YHM. :D

Paratus et Vigilans
11-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I found the RRA Tactical Muzzle Brake to be the most enjoyable of any brakes I had! The fake can definitely is a fire breating dragon in lower light levels.

But not like the Mosin!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/DSC00099.jpg

Well, I guess that explains what happened to the Wermacht at Stalingrad!

NeoWeird
11-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, I guess that explains what happened to the Wermacht at Stalingrad!

So everyone pulled up chairs, made smores and talked yesteryear while everything settled down?

grammaton76
11-11-2007, 12:24 PM
It's worth noting that I ran into a San Diego crime lab guy at the last gun show, who says officers in this area have a tendency to haul people in and let the lab decide whether it's a fake can or a real one.

My personal risk/reward meter says that fake cans aren't useful unless you need 'em for OAL...

DedEye
11-11-2007, 1:48 PM
If you don't understand what the big deal about muzzle brakes on ARs is, then you have never shot an AR15 with a muzzle brake or stood by someone who has. All the muzzle brakes I sell with the exception of the RRA Tactical Brake are unpleasant to shoot.

How does the YHM Phantom muzzle brake with the aggressive end compare to the RRA Tactical brake? What about the YHM Phantom flash hider?

tenpercentfirearms
11-11-2007, 3:34 PM
It's worth noting that I ran into a San Diego crime lab guy at the last gun show, who says officers in this area have a tendency to haul people in and let the lab decide whether it's a fake can or a real one.

My personal risk/reward meter says that fake cans aren't useful unless you need 'em for OAL...

How in the hell is someone going to not notice the rifling and barrel all the way the length of firearm and that the fake can is obviously an over glorified thread protector? I think this is just FUD scare tactics.

grammaton76
11-11-2007, 3:56 PM
How in the hell is someone going to not notice the rifling and barrel all the way the length of firearm and that the fake can is obviously an over glorified thread protector? I think this is just FUD scare tactics.

Well, I did point out the field officers shouldn't have a problem telling a fake one from a real one. But the guy did seem fairly honest though, and stated that it seems that some of the officers use "we need to get a determination on this" as grounds for seizure and hassling.

I suspect that it's best viewed in line with with the memo allegedly circulated around SD county, not to attempt AW prosecutions as a primary charge on anything. Alleged silencer isn't an alleged AW charge, so if you don't think a guy's rifle is legit (or he just annoys you or smells bad in general), seize it for a suspected silencer since you can't seize it as an alleged AW.

That having been said, I do have a fake can on my PS90 for legal length requirements. I get questions about it, but no real hassles.

mxpatriot51
11-11-2007, 4:09 PM
How does the YHM Phantom muzzle brake with the aggressive end compare to the RRA Tactical brake? What about the YHM Phantom flash hider?

The YHM Phantom is not fun to shoot. The pressure/noise increase is drastic. It works well as far as recoil/muzzle rise is concerned, but even when doubled up on hearing protection it is brutal. I don't use mine anymore.