PDA

View Full Version : Legal to Cut/Thread 16" barrel and stick a fake silencer on it?

Hoop
11-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm looking at getting a 16" upper & would like to cut it down a bit and stick a fake silencer on the end of it - is this legal to do as long as it's over 16" together, and is there a shop in Norcal that could do it?

bigthaiboy
11-09-2007, 1:15 PM
Why don't you just buy a shorter barrelled upper and then make up the rest of the length to 16" by having a fake can permanently welded to the barrel? This will save you a couple of hundred bucks on smithing fees.

bwiese
11-09-2007, 1:33 PM
I am assuming you do not own an AR pistol, or a legal SBR, and that you do in fact own an AR lower (either reg'd AW or OLL).

Therefore, you should NOT cut down your 16" bbl yourself - once you do that you're in illegal SBR territory if you own any AR lowers.

You should NOT have a shorter-than-16" upper (or even barrel) unless you have the above.

If you are going to start with a shorty bbl, don't have the barrel shipped directly to you - either have the vendor do the work himself or send to the gunsmith for pinning/welding the attachment.

JHC
11-09-2007, 1:39 PM
Spikes makes a fake can that covers the barrel so that you don't gain any length, don't face an SBR situation, and don't lose any precious inches of rifleing

phsieh10
11-09-2007, 5:00 PM
I put a spikes sleeve (fake can) onto my xcr. It just slides over the barrel. gives the suppressed look, but you still retain the 16in barrel.

Prc329
11-09-2007, 5:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/_MG_0190.jpg

There you go. With the fake can barrel appears to be 11" long.