PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mossberg dilema

Steelhead
11-09-2007, 8:00 AM
I am in the market for a new Mossy 500. I want a HD gun and something I can go bust clays with, so my first inclination was for the combo barrel, which is conveniently on sale right now at Big5. However, I really like the fact that the Security model w/18.5” barrel, holds 8 shots and believe the combo only holds 6.
Ergo, I want a combo barrel set where I can also blast 8X.
How hard, and expensive, is it to swap out the ammo tube? Never done that before.
...or should I just stay with the combo and be happy with it?
Opinions?

Thanks!
-Glen

wildcard
11-09-2007, 8:08 AM
As far as popping off the mag tube on and off.. it's not too hard if you have a vise and strap wrench. You'll have to torque it back in the appropriate place or your barrel will be loose though.

As far as using different mag tubes, it can't be done unless you have matching barrels. Look at how the barrels attach.. the lug is at the end point of the mag tubes. Different mag tubes will require different barrels that have the lug in the prper place.

Exiledviking
11-09-2007, 9:05 AM
As far as popping off the mag tube on and off.. it's not too hard if you have a vise and strap wrench. You'll have to torque it back in the appropriate place or your barrel will be loose though.

As far as using different mag tubes, it can't be done unless you have matching barrels. Look at how the barrels attach.. the lug is at the end point of the mag tubes. Different mag tubes will require different barrels that have the lug in the prper place.

Now you have a PERFECT excuse to buy 2 Mossbergs! :D

I don't think it is worth messing around with the gun, especially if you are going to depend on it for SD.

Steelhead
11-09-2007, 9:11 AM
Ah, good point on the mag tubes with matching barrel. Didn't even think about that.
Thanks for the input and letting me know!
-Glen

RAD-CDPII
11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I am in the market for a new Mossy 500. I want a HD gun and something I can go bust clays with, so my first inclination was for the combo barrel, which is conveniently on sale right now at Big5. However, I really like the fact that the Security model w/18.5” barrel, holds 8 shots and believe the combo only holds 6.
Ergo, I want a combo barrel set where I can also blast 8X.
How hard, and expensive, is it to swap out the ammo tube? Never done that before.
...or should I just stay with the combo and be happy with it?
Opinions?

Thanks!
-Glen

I believe that the one with two barrels is a 5 round, with an 18 and 28 in. barrels. I have the security, it does hold 8, and the barrel is 20 in. not 18.5. You can't beat the price at $229.

Steelhead
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I believe that the one with two barrels is a 5 round, with an 18 and 28 in. barrels. I have the security, it does hold 8, and the barrel is 20 in. not 18.5. You can't beat the price at $229.

Both models are going for $229 right now. I decided to get the one with the extra barrel, too tempting to pass up. I'll just practice getting *really* quick with re-loading.:)

wildcard
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Both models are going for $229 right now. I decided to get the one with the extra barrel, too tempting to pass up. I'll just practice getting *really* quick with re-loading.:)

For "HD" 6 rounds is plenty. If you have to reload, you either need to train more with your weapon or your home is being taken over by a GANG of armed burglars/ robbers.

After six rounds, they're either running and it'll be darn hard for you to justify shooting a fleeing assailant in the back in our fine state of Califrornia, or they deserve to live cause if you didn't hit them with the first six, you're not getting them with the next 6.

Kelvrick
11-09-2007, 1:44 PM
For "HD" 6 rounds is plenty. If you have to reload, you either need to train more with your weapon or your home is being taken over by a GANG of armed burglars/ robbers.

After six rounds, they're either running and it'll be darn hard for you to justify shooting a fleeing assailant in the back in our fine state of Califrornia, or they deserve to live cause if you didn't hit them with the first six, you're not getting them with the next 6.

Yep, I don't see anyone really needing more then even 2-3 rounds in a HD situation. My benelli has a 4+1 for clays and well, I sure as hell am not good enough to hit even 3 in the air at once.

Diablo
11-09-2007, 2:08 PM
Either one will work for you. As every one posted above "6 rounds is plenty for HD"