PDA

View Full Version : buffer retainer problem.

philthy209
11-09-2007, 8:15 AM
got my upper yesterday and when i slapped it all together i charged the handle.

afterwords i noticed something rattleing around in the lower reciever.

i took the upper off and noticed it was the buffer retainer.

i tried charging it three more times to the same effect.

what is going on?:confused:

shark92651
11-09-2007, 8:19 AM
Is your receiver extension screwed far enough forward to keep it in place? The front of the receiver extension should be making contact with the post, but not so tight that it cannot move up and down.

cornholio1
11-09-2007, 8:24 AM
My buddy has the same problems. The tube isn't screwed in far enough or wiggles loose. That nut keeps coming loose. Gotta try some locktite.

philthy209
11-09-2007, 8:25 AM
Is your receiver extension screwed far enough forward to keep it in place? The front of the receiver extension should be making contact with the post, but not so tight that it cannot move up and down.

I thought it was, but after searching i'm second guessing myself.assuming it was what else would cause this anything?

i'm at work and they don't like it when i bring my AR to the office so i can't check send picks right now.

mecam
11-09-2007, 9:14 AM
The buffer retainer should be under the buffer tube just like the photo.

http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/bufferpin2.jpg

mecam
11-09-2007, 9:37 AM
My buddy has the same problems. The tube isn't screwed in far enough or wiggles loose. That nut keeps coming loose. Gotta try some locktite.

Having the right tools would be a big plus.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/ARR-109.jpg

8200rpm
11-09-2007, 9:40 AM
Also, the buffer tube itself may need a little bit of filing. When I installed my buffer tube, I had the same problem of the retainer popping out. And, when I screwed the buffer tube one more turn, it would completely block the retainer. Solution: file a bit of metal off the buffer tube to get the perfect fit.

BEFORE filing anything, try screwing the buffer tube in one more turn. That may be all you need.

ar15barrels
11-09-2007, 9:46 AM
With proper torque (and staking, if it's a collapsible stock) no Loctite is necessary.

Proper staking:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

Red_5
11-09-2007, 9:50 AM
Unless something is out of spec, you should be able to get enough of the buffer tube to overhang the buffer retainer to keep in in place.

Once everything is secure it's a good idea on carbine stocks to stake the castle nut to keep the nut/tube from working loose.

I see I'm way too slow :p

philthy209
11-09-2007, 3:35 PM
fixed problem. you guys were right the tube was not in far enough.

thank god my lpk came with three takedown pin springs as i finally got it right the third time.:o

mecam
11-09-2007, 4:27 PM
thank god my lpk came with three takedown pin springs as i finally got it right the third time.:o

LOL, when I was replacing my stock from a carbine to an A2. I forgot about the buffer retainer and the retainer spring when I was unscrewing the buffer tube. They flew about 15 feet accross the other side of my garage. Took me an hour to find both of them. :D

DRM6000
11-09-2007, 4:33 PM

here's my solution: i install those parts with my arms and lower in a plastic shopping bag. if the spring escapes, the chances are great that it won't leave the bag.