PDA

View Full Version : Defective Lower replacement after registration question

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 8:09 PM
I have a defective OLL that was registered to me (Drosed) before the defect was discovered. The manufacturer would like to ship me a new one right away (when I send mine to him) but it will have a different serial number. Otherwise I will have to wait a long time to get one with the same serial number. This must have happened before - is there a procedure to substitute the new numbered lower for the old or do I have to go through the ship to FFL and DROS (EXPENSIVE) process all over again? Could the FFL update the paperwork with the new number? Any suggestions of how to deal with this situation (lawfully) appreciated ;-)

CSDGuy
11-08-2007, 8:19 PM
If it has a different serial number, it will have to be DROS'd. Hopefully the manufacturer of your lower will pay the shipping cost.

tlillard23
11-08-2007, 8:43 PM
yep, u b screwed. get your wallet out. or wait, just have the manufacturer pay for it :rofl2:

SemiAutoSam
11-08-2007, 8:48 PM
BTW DROS does not = Registration.

All the DROS does when purchasing a long arm is to check to see that you are not prohibited from owning firearms.

bigthaiboy
11-08-2007, 8:54 PM
Don't tell me....it's a Vulcan lower?

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 8:57 PM

I'm stupid . . . but not that stupid.

isitkool
11-08-2007, 8:57 PM
How is it defective?

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 9:00 PM
BTW DROS does not = Registration.

All the DROS does when purchasing a long arm is to check to see that you are not prohibited from owning firearms.

Right - sorry - I just meant the process - God forbid registration. But that is kind of what I was thinking about if there was a legal way for the FFL to change the form - since he is the one that keeps it - looks like not.

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 9:05 PM
How is it defective?

Front left lug (where the pivot pin goes) is super thin along the front - since I clamshell to load sometimes - highly likely it will snap. I would hate to crack it then blast a round to get it to break completely - could ruin my afternoon to get a face full of metal. The manufacturer seems to be being cool about it so I don't want to out them until I know how they handle it (good or bad I will post results).

SemiAutoSam
11-08-2007, 9:09 PM
I have heard of owners of AR lowers sending the lower back the the MFG and asking the MFG to remake one with the same serial #.

I didn't catch who the MFG was but you might attempt that.

Right - sorry - I just meant the process - God forbid registration. But that is kind of what I was thinking about if there was a legal way for the FFL to change the form - since he is the one that keeps it - looks like not.

tenpercentfirearms
11-08-2007, 9:18 PM
Here is what I would do if you had bought the lower from what I had in stock at my store.

I would contact the manufacturer too. I would let them know that a new receiver would require us to run another back ground check at a cost of $25. I would tell the manufacturer that if they give me a $25 credit on my next purchase, I will not charge the customer anything for doing the new back ground check. We could split the difference if you will so the customer would be happy.

Now, if you just transfered it in, I probably wouldn't offer as that is what happens when you transfer a gun in. I take no responsibility for the transaction and that is between you and the seller. Just one of the benefits of buying what the dealer has in stock instead of going somewhere else.

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 9:20 PM
I have heard of owners of AR lowers sending the lower back the the MFG and asking the MFG to remake one with the same serial #.

I didn't catch who the MFG was but you might attempt that.

Yes the manufacturer say they will do that but that it would be months before I get the new one with the same serial number as it would be a deviation from there normal process flow.

Good things come to those who wait? Only if they survive the wait.

megavolt121
11-08-2007, 9:22 PM
One manufacturer told me that to do a warranty exchange, all he had to do was update HIS books to show that Receiver 001 was destroyed and replaced with Receiver 002 and it was perfectly legit. Can any manufacturers chime in on this?

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 9:24 PM
Here is what I would do if you had bought the lower from what I had in stock at my store.

I would contact the manufacturer too. I would let them know that a new receiver would require us to run another back ground check at a cost of $25. I would tell the manufacturer that if they give me a $25 credit on my next purchase, I will not charge the customer anything for doing the new back ground check. We could split the difference if you will so the customer would be happy.

Now, if you just transfered it in, I probably wouldn't offer as that is what happens when you transfer a gun in. I take no responsibility for the transaction and that is between you and the seller. Just one of the benefits of buying what the dealer has in stock instead of going somewhere else.

I hear you - It is a lower brand most folks don't carry or I would have bought it locally. I wanted to try out a feature unique to this brand so it wasn't just cosmetics. I prefer to buy locally for the service you mention as well as supporting those (like you) that fight the good fight to keep gun ownership in California a possibility in spite of all the cr*p you have to put up with. Oh well - lesson learned.

Now we just need someone to open an OLL friendly shop in Orange County!

tenpercentfirearms
11-08-2007, 9:26 PM
Now we just need someone to open an OLL friendly shop in Orange County!I thought Ade's and J&J Armory was down there? :confused:

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 9:27 PM
One manufacturer told me that to do a warranty exchange, all he had to do was update HIS books to show that Receiver 001 was destroyed and replaced with Receiver 002 and it was perfectly legit. Can any manufacturers chime in on this?

That sounds logical and like a great way to handle this - hopefully the legislators didn't do their usual screw up on it.

Can anyone confirm or deny this approach?

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 9:30 PM
I thought Ade's and J&J Armory was down there? :confused:

Ade's is about 45 minutes to an hour from South OC most times of the day with traffic - I hadn't heard of J&J Armory - do tell - if they are closer they will be my new best friends and my wife's worst enemy.

PanzerAce
11-08-2007, 9:37 PM
unless the lower YOU get is the same number as the one you sent, it has to go through a FFL.

That is one of the reasons that STAG was sought after in the early days of the OLL stuff, because if the list came and you reg'd, stag has a policy of replacing busted lowers with the same serial, which means you could keep your AWs....

joe55
11-08-2007, 9:45 PM
J & J armory is located in santa ana, 1420 East Edinger Avenue Suite 118

866-9-ARMORY

Very nice guys and have quite a bit of AR stuff....lots of lowers in stock

bigthaiboy
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthaiboy

I'm stupid . . . but not that stupid.

No offence intended, but I have seen a Vulcan lower that was so off spec that the buffer spring retainer's hole was too small to to take the retainer itself.

J&J are in Santa Ana. I have dealt with them when they have had a table at the Costa Mesa gun show.

GunOwner
11-08-2007, 11:32 PM
J & J armory is located in santa ana, 1420 East Edinger Avenue Suite 118

866-9-ARMORY

Very nice guys and have quite a bit of AR stuff....lots of lowers in stock

Thanks - are they online?

akjunkie
11-09-2007, 7:41 AM
I hear you - It is a lower brand most folks don't carry or I would have bought it locally. I wanted to try out a feature unique to this brand so it wasn't just cosmetics. I prefer to buy locally for the service you mention as well as supporting those (like you) that fight the good fight to keep gun ownership in California a possibility in spite of all the cr*p you have to put up with. Oh well - lesson learned.

Now we just need someone to open an OLL friendly shop in Orange County!

"I wanted to try out a feature unique to this brand"

let me guess.................... Superior? adjustable trigger?

ar15barrels
11-09-2007, 9:57 AM
"I wanted to try out a feature unique to this brand"

let me guess.................... Superior? adjustable trigger?

Or Sun Devil with the setscrew that adjusts for slack between the upper and lower receivers.

stator
11-09-2007, 3:40 PM
Send it back for the same serial. While you wait, go down and buy another lower and DROS that. You will be ahead of the game and problem solved. Why did it take two pages to think of the obvious? :)