PDA

View Full Version : 9mm AR mag block for Sten mags?

JWNathan
11-08-2007, 6:36 PM
Okay when I bought my 2 OLLs I had the intention to build a basic AR and a 9mm, well I've built my 5.56 version so now I need to turn my attention to the other. I've searched and read most things about the mag blocks and different mags to use. Well when I was younger my pops was throwing around the idea of building acouple semi auto Stens(Mk3s I think), so he buys afew parts kits and quite afew mags, well to wrap up my long story he stalled on the projects when he got heavy into cowboy shooting. Now we have probably around 10-12 mags still(he sold off abunch looong ago). So now my question is who makes the mag blocks that takes unmodified Sten mags? Santa is bringing me an OLY upper so I would like to get things rolling and get my lower ready. I'd really appreciate any help on this, thanks.
-Jesse

Vepr62
11-08-2007, 7:57 PM
I got this one ==> http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21676&title=AR-15%2FCAV-15+MAGAZINE+ADAPTERS Works great. But I need to buy oly upper.
Vasiliy

JWNathan
11-08-2007, 8:48 PM
Ya thats the one I was lookin at too, I only wish My stag lowers could acept grease gun mags or I'd be buildin a .45 aswell.
-Jesse

Vepr62
11-08-2007, 8:53 PM
Brownells also offers adapter for .45 magazines, on the same page.
Vasiliy

ar15barrels
11-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Brownells also offers adapter for .45 magazines, on the same page.

Those only work in a Cavalry Arms plastic lower which has a wider magwell. ;)

sjpd
11-09-2007, 7:52 AM
The adapter you need for un-modified sten mags is called a SOCOM block.
There's one for sale on GB right now.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84332719

JWNathan
11-09-2007, 3:27 PM
That Socom looks like the Hanh/Cavarms arms block on Brownells. I wish I could get one of those Cav-15 lowers so I could epoxy/pin a bat wing into the grip and stock so I could use my grease gun mags(all 2 of them). OK, if I went with a RRA upper instead of the OLY, can I still use these blocks with my Sten mags or would I be forced into 10 rounders and the RRA or Hytech block? Thanks.
-Jesse

gunrun45
11-09-2007, 4:50 PM
You really need to visit ar15.com they have a thread pinned that specifically goes over how to use STEN mags in a Colt type system. Heads up, its not easy. I would have gone with the Oly upper and a simple Hahn drop in block. I own several in various calibers and love them. I'm not a big fan of the colt type block and the fact that you have to have either a ramped bolt to use a standard 223 hammer or use a special 9mm hammer in your gun.

Why in the world did you go with the RRA (colt type) upper when you have so many pre-ban STEN mags? I'd send that sucker back and buy an oly upper from the EE at ar15.com for cheap

JWNathan
11-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I just noticed that RRA uppers are a bit cheaper than OLY and if I van make it work good I can tell Santa which upper I want for sure. I dont mind the fact of haveing a dedicated pistol caliber lower so if I have to run one I will. I used to be a member there but it could be abit overwhelming sometimes if you dont word your queries the right way. Would you by chance have contact info for EE? Thanks for all your guys info so far.
-Jesse

ar15barrels
11-10-2007, 12:32 AM
I wish I could get one of those Cav-15 lowers

I'll bet that if you were to send Cavalry Arms a bullet button that they would install it in a lower and ship it to you.

Then you can get the lower sent to your local FFL.

Re-configure it into any legal configuration and you are all set.

JWNathan
11-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I just read the FAQ at ar15.com and I now sorta understand. So corect me if Im wrong but I cant use the RRA/Colt style because the UZI type mags are a dual feed(feeds from both sides of mag) and the OLY system being Sten fed uses single feed(right out the middle of the mag)? So I need to watch for a used OLY if I want one under 580 bucks then. Thanks for your info so far guys.
-Jesse

ar15barrels
11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I just read the FAQ at ar15.com and I now sorta understand. So corect me if Im wrong but I cant use the RRA/Colt style because the UZI type mags are a dual feed(feeds from both sides of mag) and the OLY system being Sten fed uses single feed(right out the middle of the mag)?

Due to the feedramp design, the Oly certainly prefers a center-feed mag like the Sten.
The Oly barrel breeches inside the barrel extension and the feedramp is part of the barrel extension.
The Colt (RRA and everyone else except Oly) breeches outside the barrel.
The mag block contains the feedramps which work with center-feed or staggered-feed mags.