PDA

View Full Version : Left eye dominante...building AR..Left or Right?

slambo
11-08-2007, 6:28 PM
Hello, I am left eye dominant and shoot right, I can shoot left. I am building my first AR, Stag. Should I build a righty or a lefty? How often do these guns break down? How hard is a lefty to fix? Can you shoot left eyed on a righty and be good???

Any and all help would be most appreciated, thanks,

Slam

SFFRONTMAN
11-08-2007, 6:35 PM
Im a righty handgun, but always been a lefty rifle. I cannot however use left handed guns for some reason, they just dont feel right. All my guns are right handed. On the above note I dont seeing a lefty gun breaking down any more than a right handed gun would.

Bishop
11-08-2007, 6:35 PM
I'm cross-dominant too. I shoot pistols right handed, and rifles left handed.

I got Stag's lefty upper because I thought I needed it, but none of the right handed people I've had shoot it have complained, nor have they been hit with brass in the face.

I've never shot a righty AR left handed, but I'm pretty sure it's doable :)

There's nothing particularly complex about the lefty upper vs the righty upper except that some of the parts are switched from one side to the other (obviously :D)

As for break down, I've gotten a few double feeds in the hundreds of rounds I've put down the pipe of my 2HL, but if you keep it wet, it runs like a champ.

Paratus et Vigilans
11-08-2007, 6:39 PM
Do you shoulder the rifle left or right? Are you suggesting that you'd shoulder the rifle on your right side and sight it with your left eye?? I can do that with pistols, shooting right handed but aiming left-eyed. Never tried it with a rifle . . .

I'm left/left, and shoot all my AR's from the left shoulder, regardless of whether they are left ejects (Stags) or right ejects.

My Stags never break down (not yet anyway) but fixing them wouldn't be much of an issue, regardless. The left-dedicated parts of a Stag lefty upper are the barrel extension (they call it ambi), the bolt, the bolt carrier, and of course the upper receiver. Everything else in the rifle is the same as a righty AR, and once you learn the basics of what's under the hood of an AR, it's not much of a problem to maintain or repair them, IMHO.

psriley
11-08-2007, 6:51 PM
Lefty ARs are fun and parts are pretty plentiful from Stag. Not that there are not a lot of pre-made lefty barrels, though. If you want a specialty barrel, more than likely you'll need to have a smith do it for you custom.

4 Brigada
11-08-2007, 6:55 PM
Not that there are not a lot of pre-made lefty barrels,

Cool thing to know I didnt think that the barrels were different. Im planning to build one for my gf shes a lefty

Fjold
11-08-2007, 6:59 PM
I'm left eye dominant and left handed and I have both right handed and left handed ARs. They all work fine from either side.

fairfaxjim
11-08-2007, 7:47 PM
I'm left handed and the only lefty I own is a Savage 10FLP bolt gun. To be honest, I've shot right handed rifles left handed for so long, the lefty feels weird. I have no problem with any of them, including AR's. I do have one upper with no brass deflector, and that one I need a brass catcher on to keep the brass from hitting my right ear muff.

PanzerAce
11-08-2007, 7:51 PM
cross dominant (left eye, right hand), but I shoot everything righty. It makes stuff like trap a little harder, but thems the breaks.

slambo
11-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Thank you all very much for your time, effort and information, I really appreciate it.

Steve/Slambo

hybridatsun350
11-09-2007, 8:13 AM
All of the modern AR's have brass deflectors. There are no problems shooting from either shoulder. I contemplated buying a Stag left-handed upper, but Stag doesn't make a Dissipator upper so I went with Bushmaster. It works perfect though! :)

slambo
11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks

slambo
11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for our reply, what is a dissipator?

Red_5
11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm left-eye dominant/right handed also. I'm an ambi shooter but mainly shoot handguns righty and rifles lefty. I've always thought I was a bit of an odd duck in this respect. Glad to see that I've got some company.:chris:

I deliberated on the same thing for my 1st AR build and went right handed to maximize the parts availability and interchangeability and have no regrets.

I don't have any issues with brass getting thrown across my line of sight or gas in the face.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
11-09-2007, 4:32 PM
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed with my right eye. Unless your right eye has significantly poorer eyesight, I would suggest just shooting with your right eye.