View Full Version : Ak gas tube finish?

11-07-2007, 7:04 PM
I have an old AK gas tube that I'd like to finish to match the shiny black of my SA85M. I stripped of all the old bluing and reblued with 44/40. Not happy. First of all, it's flat black vs shiny, but worse is that the thing gets surface rust within a day regardless of what I put on it. I tried saturating it in BreakFree, got rust in one day. Then I thoroughly rubbed it with Tuff Cloth, got rust in two days. Wow, those products have done very well by me in the rust prevention department in the past.

Anyway, what can I use that is shiny black, prevent rust and survive in the high temp environs of an AK gas tube???

I thought about BBQ paint, but I've been less than satisfied with that stuff in other high temp jobs like brake rotor centers.

11-07-2007, 8:10 PM
I used BBQ paint on one of my FALs so I could get the wear look. Rubs off on the high places.

11-07-2007, 8:28 PM
you need to blue it the right way, bring it to me, ill blue it for you. as for the shine, if the metal is shiny to begin with, it will be shiny when you blue it. to make the metal gleam you have to rubb it with 000 or 0000 steel wool really well before you blue it.