PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to register my guns?

homers
11-07-2007, 6:29 PM
Hi,

I'm soon to be in California and am trying to gather info on the gun laws. I have a couple of shotguns, a ruger 10/22, a 243 and a 7x57 I'd like to take.

1) Do I have to register them once I get here?
2) What are the laws when taking them from my home to the gun range?

thanks

Blue
11-07-2007, 6:30 PM
If they're regular rifles and not "assault weapons" bring them in and have fun with them. If you bring any pistols with you, those can be registered. You can transport your rifles in your car as long as they're not loaded.

savasyn
11-07-2007, 6:34 PM
Don't forget to bring in a few handguns that we can't get here, you know for your personal collection that you might get tired of and want to sell later. ;)

Seriously, if you have some handguns that you've been thinking about getting, get them before you come here.

ocabj
11-07-2007, 6:45 PM
If you bring any pistols with you, those can be registered.

Not 'can', 'must'.

From the CA DOJ BOF FAQ:

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

Blue
11-07-2007, 7:18 PM
Not 'can', 'must'.

From the CA DOJ BOF FAQ:

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

No kidding, I even editted it from "have to" to "can" :o

Gmountain
11-07-2007, 7:31 PM
Not 'can', 'must'.

From the CA DOJ BOF FAQ:

Ugh. Draconian. Condolences.