PDA

View Full Version : How do I get brass off my slide??

savasyn
11-07-2007, 5:30 PM
I was doing stovepipe clearing drills with my 229 tonight and managed to get a huge brass streak across the top of my slide. How do I get it off?? I've tried MPro7, Sweets7.62, Kroil and Hoppes #9. No dice.

I'd hate to have that ugly thing there permanently.

Here's a picture:
http://www.stuff2see.net/images2/Slide01.jpg

slick_711
11-07-2007, 5:36 PM
A black permanent marker?

If none of those cleaners worked I'm not sure what to tell you. Id try the cleaners again and something semi-abrasive gently to see if you can lift the brass and not damage the finish?

Wyatt
11-07-2007, 5:43 PM
I'd try some 0000 steel wool and CLP together.

CWM4A1
11-07-2007, 5:47 PM
You don't want to take that nitron finish off, so I'd say no to the steel wool idea.

Sweets 7.62, multiple applications and see what happens.

Kruzr
11-07-2007, 6:21 PM
Soak some patches in Hoppes solvent (CLP won't work since you need to soften the brass) and let them sit on the brass mark for 20-30 minutes. Then with a very stiff toothbrush, brush the marks. You may have to do this twice to get rid of all of it.

savasyn
11-07-2007, 6:32 PM
I'll try the soaking thing. So far I've managed to tone it down a bit by rubbing with JB bore paste. I don't want to do that too much as it'll take the finish off as well.

bohoki
11-07-2007, 6:35 PM
look for scratch-out from a company called kit at auto stores or department

it also works good as a vibratory tumbler media additive for bras polishing
my walnut used to take 4 or 5 hours now it takes 1

taloft
11-07-2007, 7:19 PM
look for scratch-out from a company called kit at auto stores or department

it also works good as a vibratory tumbler media additive for bras polishing
my walnut used to take 4 or 5 hours now it takes 1

I usually do that by hand.;):D

savasyn
11-07-2007, 9:10 PM
We have a winner!

40 minutes of soaking in Hoppes #9 then ever so gently rubbing with 0000 steel wool.

It's hard to say whether the steel wool actually damaged the finish or just polished it a bit as these areas are slightly shinier than the surrounding stuff. Of course, with all the rubbing it's gotten tonight, I can't imagine it didn't thin out a bit. Now that it's done, I thoroughly coated it with a Tuff Cloth and you can hardly tell anything ever happened.

There is still a hint of it there, but only about 1% of what is shown above. What a PIA getting that off!

What's funny is that in umpteen thousand rounds, I've never had a stove pipe failure with this gun. I'm shooting in my first pistol match this weekend and thought it'd be a good thing to practice clearing just in case. I thought I was being clever using real empty brass just like the real thing rather than a snapcap. I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

Thanks for all the help getting this cleaned up!!

jmancini
11-07-2007, 9:51 PM
Too late now, but bronze wool or a bronze brush might have polished less than the steel.

Glad you found something that worked though!