PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA

ninjamaster
11-07-2007, 2:12 PM
Wondering what handguns to bring with me since CA has lots of rules. I was thinking of picking up a WWII 1911. Any other recommendations would be great in order to avoid CA gun prices.

thominator
11-07-2007, 2:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it! Kalifornia is the gateway on the road to surfdom, the captial of the policed states of Amerika, the home of the New World Order.

But if you have to, welcome!

Sorry can't help you out with your question.

glockman19
11-07-2007, 2:29 PM
look over the list of approved handguns at the CA DOJ and get whatever is NOT on the list. Buy as much as you can because you can sell them private party when you get here after registering them for only $19. You will get a premium for them. A Great way to legally make money helping out yoru fellow gun affecianado's. I 'm personally looking for a Kimber Pro Raptor II.

Oh Yea and Welcome to CA. Great weather, skiing, surfing, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, and everything else you can imagine except for 2A and guns.

tlillard23
11-07-2007, 2:40 PM
his name is iggy....

ninjamaster
11-07-2007, 2:55 PM
this one needs to get deleted there is another one that he started

um i posted this under handguns because thats what it is supposed to be under. Thanks

chunger
11-07-2007, 3:02 PM
Best way to maximize the situation is to buy an excess of bare frames. Spend money only on the 1 part of the pistol you can't obtain after moving in.

Caspian 1911 frames
STI wide-body 1911 frames

What you are not able to build out for yourself will be snapped up by others in-state at a significant premium.

ninjamaster
11-07-2007, 3:06 PM
whats 2a? Wow I was just asking what guns to bring lol. I'll bring everything with me!

11-07-2007, 5:01 PM
whats 2a?

GET OUT. NOW. DO NOT PASS GO.

But seriously, just bring whatever you already have that isn't defined as an assault weapon in California. If you think you will ever in the future might possibly consider wanting for even just a moment something that isn't on the roster, get it now and bring it in while you can.

ninjamaster
11-07-2007, 6:16 PM
OK, but whats 2a? Are 1911 frames the only frames worth bring extra of? What about collectable guns? From what I've read as a citizen of CA you cannot import any guns. So basically what ever is in CA is it unless someone brings guns with them when they move in. Thats kind of crazy. Just like 10 rounds will only hurt someone but 11 or more will kill. So no matter what all incoming guns have to be registered, unlike in other states like the one I live in where you can sell and buy guns FTF all day long with registering them. So how is the crime out there cause criminals don't follow the rules? Seems CA lawmakers are against law abiding citizens. Maybe I should think more about this move. What if you are a FFL/Class2/3 licensed? so many questions sorry.

savasyn
11-07-2007, 6:35 PM
OK, but whats 2a? Are 1911 frames the only frames worth bring extra of? What about collectable guns? From what I've read as a citizen of CA you cannot import any guns. So basically what ever is in CA is it unless someone brings guns with them when they move in. Thats kind of crazy. Just like 10 rounds will only hurt someone but 11 or more will kill. So no matter what all incoming guns have to be registered, unlike in other states like the one I live in where you can sell and buy guns FTF all day long with registering them. So how is the crime out there cause criminals don't follow the rules? Seems CA lawmakers are against law abiding citizens. Maybe I should think more about this move. What if you are a FFL/Class2/3 licensed? so many questions sorry.

2a = 2nd amendment

Yes, CA law makers ARE against law abiding citizens here. It's a feature.

savasyn
11-07-2007, 6:37 PM
Oh yeah, DON'T bring any magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds to CA!!
That really bites if you have a number of guns that have regular cap mags and you have to buy a bunch of 10 rounders. :(

SNEAKS
11-07-2007, 7:56 PM
Its tuff living in Cali.:(

bruss01
11-08-2007, 7:08 AM
Ninjamaster -

think of all the guns you think you might like to own in the future, and check to see if they're on the list. If they're not, your only hope of owning them in CA is to buy them before moving here. If any of them have 10+ cap magazines, sell them before moving and buy 10 round magazines.

For instance, if you like exotic revolvers, buy a Mateba before coming here, you won't get one afterwards. Basically any gun that is no longer in production (For instance, great classics like the Ruger Security Six) are not listed because manufacturers have to pay for the continued listing, and why do that on a gun they no longer sell? Another one, the Stoeger Cougar, WAS on the list as the Beretta Cougar, but Beretta purchased Stoeger and moved their machinery to Turkey, where the same exact gun is now produced under the new company's name - now it's no longer on the list and never will be because it doesn't comply with the new loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect features.

Don't assume just because you see ONE version of a gun, means you can get ANY version of that gun here. Barrel length, color, finish etc all MATTER. For instance you can buy a Ruger GP-100 in a 4" barrel or a 6" barrel but you cannot buy the Davidsons 5" barrel version of the same gun. You can buy a CZ 75b in black polycoat, but not in stainless. You can buy a -5 version of some S&W revolvers but not the -4 or -6 versions. Manufacter's have to pay to get these guns listed, so they often just pick the most popular version(s) and don't worry about the rest. Any small-volume or specialty gun makes you aspire to, get it before coming here. If they only sell 100 per year of a certain model, they're not paying $15,000 to get it listed in CA, where would be the financial sense in that?

So - is that enough of a can of worms for you? :shrug:

ninjamaster
11-08-2007, 9:08 AM
More great info. $15,000/yr to be on the list, crazy. So a disassembled magazine is still a magazine huh? Thanks again.

Jeffy
11-08-2007, 9:38 AM
More great info. $15,000/yr to be on the list, crazy. So a disassembled magazine is still a magazine huh? Thanks again.

This again?

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

bwiese
11-08-2007, 9:44 AM
More great info. $15,000/yr to be on the list, crazy. So a disassembled magazine is still a magazine huh?

No a collection of disassembled magazine parts is not a magazine. Just don't (re)assemble any hicaps while inside CA.

The so-called "guidance" in above posts about bringing in a whole buncha guns/frames with intention of selling is somewhat poor advice. While you can indeed move into CA with such guns, and sell them via FFL to other Californians later, selling off a whole bunch at once for high prices may smell really bad. If you hit certain limits (forget what they are) there's a chance you might be considered a dealer even though you sold these guns via FFL, etc. If you happen to be bored with a given gun now & then and decide to sell, that's one thing - if you're buying a 'fleet' of otherwise-unobtainable guns to 'flip', that's a whole 'nother thing.

Here's the bottom line for new residents/those moving in:
bring whatever handguns you want (other than AWs). Semiauto pistols shouldn't have threaded bbls (even for compensators/muzzle weights), or magwells separate from grip (a la Tec 9, etc.)

Don't bring in hicap magazines (those holding over 10 rounds of the caliber for which it was designed). If you want to save your hicaps for the future if you move outside CA and are worried about any possibly future Federal bans (unlikely) on such, either bring them in disassembled, or store them outside CA in a safe deposit box and remember to pay your fees.

You have 60 days from moving in/establishing residence to register your [I]handguns w/CA DOJ. You need to file a New Handgun Ownership Report w/CA DOJ and pay a $19/gun fee (last time I checked). This does not apply to ordinary long guns - your Rem 700s or 870s etc are fine.

Don't bring in assault weapons: some guns are banned not by features but by name (make/model). Generally speaking, semiauto rifles of ordinary appearance cannot have flash hiders. An M1A or Mini14 is just fine - unless it has a flash hider, then it's an AW. Make such conversions to such rifles prior to entering CA.

Don't bring in rifles chambered in 50BMG.

Some firearms that are not banned by name in CA as AWs can legally be configured so as not to violate the CA generic features AW ban - either by having a 10rd or less fixed magazine, or by using special grips or stocks (the special "MonsterMan" grip, as well as the "U15" stock from California Rifles) which legally cannot be considered as pistol grips or thumbhole stocks (and thus which cannot have other evil features like flash hiders or forward pistol grips, etc.) [If this interests you, these are matters of continuing discussion in the Rifle as well as Legal forums here, I won't go into deep detail here.]

Generally fuhgeddabout having or acquiring NFA-type items in CA (SBRs, SBSes, MGs, suppressors).

Some counties (usu not metro areas where it's most needed!) have more rational CCW issuance policies and if you can figure out (with guidance) the appropriate way to phrase your application you might have luck.

Transport handguns locked & unloaded. (Your trunk can be considered a locked container unless you have fold-down rear seats or one-button unlocking, etc.) Long guns do not have to be locked up if you're not driving near a school. Handguns, even locked & unloaded, should not be regarded as drive-around-all-day 'truck guns' - better to have an 870 or non-AW long gun for that.

Violations involving matters of illegal unpermitted "carrying a conceealed firearm" will likely be more harshly punished ("wobbler" = charged as felony or misdemeanor) if the handgun is not registered/DROSed ("DROS" = Dealer Record of Sale) to you. If the handgun is DROSed to you (i.e, via registration filed when you moved into CA as discussed in one of the items above) then bust is for misdemeanor CCW if no aggravating factors (assault, drugs, dangerous conduct, threats, etc.) - no jail time, fine, possible weekend warrior road cleanup. [This item should in no way be considered a recommendation for unpermitted CCW in CA and is merely a description of the situation in CA.

Register to vote as soon as you move here, and vote. If you are not a member of the NRA, join - so we can stop further nonsense.

Librarian
11-08-2007, 11:14 AM
bruss01, may I ask, please, where you get this number? they're not paying $15,000 to get it listed in CA
It costs 3 copies of the gun + ammunition (if they want) + testing fee (but I don't seem to find that number) + $200 initial Roster listing to get a handgun on the Roster. [11 CCR s 4059, 11 CCR s 4072]. There's also probably staff time for the manufacturer to do documentation and follow along so the process goes smoothly.

It just seems $15K is a bit high, at least until you get up into the Wilson Combat Signature altitude (which model, btw, seems to be absent from the Roster).

Just incidentally found the answer to a question, that being "If a gun expires from the Roster, must it meet the current requirements to get back on, or the requirements under which it was originally added?"
4070 (e) A manufacturer/importer or other responsible party may submit a written request to list a handgun model that was voluntarily discontinued or was removed for lack of payment of the annual maintenance fee. The written request must state that no modifications have been made to the model and be submitted to the DOJ together with the annual listing fee as set forth in s 4072 of these regulations.Since it talks about 'no modifications', current regs seem to say 'requirements as when the gun was first added to the Roster'.

ninjamaster
11-09-2007, 3:38 AM
Thanks BWiese for the awesome interpretation of the law! This is a guideline for me to use now.

bak
11-09-2007, 6:50 AM
order as many as you can to help your new friends in CAlif

BAK

JTROKS
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
What's the going price for a Caspian 1911 commander un-mutilated frame?

How about a Caspian carbon Hi-cap?

JTROKS