PDA

View Full Version : a little help needed w/springfield M1-A socom II

andydavis141
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
i bought my rifle in june, and since then i sent it back to springfield because i was shooting poorly and wanted to blame my gun(ha ha). so they "re-crowned the barrel. relieved furrule & op rod guide & side of stock". they then range tested it and shot 3" group @ 100yrds. i have noticed there are quite a bit of metal shavings around the chamber. i don't imagine this is good or common. does anyone know about these rifles. can i get it to shoot a tighter group at 100yrds. like 1" maybe? r there any good gunsmiths in the SF East Bay? thank you for your help. i'd also be interested in your over all opion of this rifle.

M1A Rifleman
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I would continue to have SA look at it since it is under warranty, and as long as it shoots/runs, maybe don't worry for a while - break it in more. l recall their new warranty is for life.

As for a smith for this tye of rifle, Frank Tabor, Tabor's Shooter's Supply in San Bruno can do work on these types of guns but he is generally busy.

What type of shavings do you see - are they brass or other?

I'm not sure I see a problem with your group size, especially if you are shooting GI/surplus ammo. You might also try another brand of ammo. GI M14's would pass the test if they could shoot under 5.5" at 100 yds. My std M1A shoots 2.5 to 3" at 100 yd GI ammo.

Cobrarlc
11-07-2007, 1:01 PM
The groups are what is the norm for a socom with surplus. As for the chamber is it ruff or is there actually loose shavings. Send back to SAI and have them polish the chamber.

Oswald2001
11-07-2007, 1:04 PM
If it were me, I would give the rifle a very very thorough cleaning.

Sometimes, new rifles have shavings, grit and whatnot from the manufacturing process.

Also, you may want to try some different ammo to see what your rifle 'likes'.

Ultimately, if you want the best performance from your rifle you will have to handload, bed the rifle, etc.

Of course, if you believe that there is something wrong with the rifle that has not been satisfactorily addressed by SA...back it goes! :D

PIRATE14
11-07-2007, 1:22 PM
These things are supposed to be sub-moa out of the box.......:cool:

Well.....if you've already sent it back and they worked on it/fixed it....

Are you looking to get a new barrel or try and get it better than a 3" gun....there are probably a few tricks a M1A guru could try and fix it up......

30Cal
11-07-2007, 2:02 PM
i bought my rifle in june, and since then i sent it back to springfield because i was shooting poorly and wanted to blame my gun(ha ha). so they "re-crowned the barrel. relieved furrule & op rod guide & side of stock". they then range tested it and shot 3" group @ 100yrds. i have noticed there are quite a bit of metal shavings around the chamber. i don't imagine this is good or common. does anyone know about these rifles. can i get it to shoot a tighter group at 100yrds. like 1" maybe? r there any good gunsmiths in the SF East Bay? thank you for your help. i'd also be interested in your over all opion of this rifle.

Get it modified into a full-blown Supermatch type configuration, and it should shoot about 1" or better with match ammo.

It sounds like it's shooting exactly like it's supposed to.

M1A Rifleman
11-07-2007, 2:30 PM

Well.....if you've already sent it back and they worked on it/fixed it....

Are you looking to get a new barrel or try and get it better than a 3" gun....there are probably a few tricks a M1A guru could try and fix it up......

Hmm, I did'nt think that particular model had all the accuracy stuff. Last I new only the MATCH rifles shot MOA or better.

odysseus
11-07-2007, 3:12 PM

Not SA SOCOM models.

PIRATE14
11-07-2007, 3:16 PM
Not SA SOCOM models.

I was being facisious.........:chris:

mike100
11-07-2007, 3:45 PM
3" with a short rifle using surp ammo sounds about right. I have a 2005 vintage reg socom 16. I'm not hot to accurize it because it runs all day long.

I recently witnessed a match grade M1A choke on every third shot of SA surplus because, presumably, the match chamber dimensions were tight and caused ftf's. It ran good on $1-a-shot domestic new 308.

PIRATE14
11-07-2007, 3:49 PM
3" with a short rifle using surp ammo sounds about right. I have a 2005 vintage reg socom 16. I'm not hot to accurize it because it runs all day long.

I recently witnessed a match grade M1A choke on every third shot of SA surplus because, presumably, the match chamber dimensions were tight and caused ftf's. It ran good on $1-a-shot domestic new 308.

You mean to tell me that high quality guns need high quality ammo to run...........HHMMM:chris:

AKman
11-07-2007, 4:31 PM
I was being facisious.........:chris:

I didn't think they allowed fascism on this board?

Bucc
11-07-2007, 5:29 PM
SOCOMs are obviously not what their larger predecessors are accuracy wise.
Three to 5 inches with SA is probably not indicative of a problem.
Shavings in the chamber upon firing after you have cleaned up from SA working on it is a problem.
A little brass residue is generally ok and expected.
Shavings are not...steel shavings are right out.
No reason for them anywhere.
As was stated before.
If you still get shavings or chips when firing send it back. It is not right.
Get some commercial ammo;careful not to get something with too much bullet weight I think about 160gr is about all they like without an adjustable gas plug, and see if it patterns better for you.
My M1A(std, no bells or whistles.) dings the brass case mouths up pretty bad on ejection too.
I'm told it's normal if you have the same issue.
Good luck.

Crazed_SS
11-08-2007, 6:52 AM
Hmm.. I had some silver shavings on my M1A when I first started shooting it. I figured it might just be the gun breaking in.. Went away after maybe 100 rounds.. Called SA and they said it's nothing to worry about.

The perceived lack of accuracy might be due to the sights that the SOCOM has. It's supposed to be a CQB type gun so it has a big fat sights to assist in getting on target quickly. This is good for close in shooting, but will make it hard to shoot really accurately past 100 yards.

Im guessing if you put a scope on it, you might be able to shoot more accurately.