View Full Version : Starter Archery Equipment

11-07-2007, 5:27 AM
Can anyone recommend a starter archery set or name off some compound bows for the ocassional bow hunt? I hunt rifle, but there are some places I will be going to that will only allow archery. Its been awhile since I took the hunters safety course. Could someone refresh my memory on what types of arrows I can use? I thought there was a type of arrow head that must be used. Thank you

11-07-2007, 7:20 AM
There are a great number of good starter archery bows. Your best bet would be to visit your local archery store and tell them what you need. That way you can handle the various bows and get a feel for what might work for you. If you're in the L.A./OC area, I can recommend a few places. If you're anywhere near the Bass Pro Shop in Rancho, they actually have an on site range for purchasers to test bows before buying. Good luck.

11-07-2007, 5:10 PM
I started with a Bear, then moved to a PSE then onto a Martin; but this was YEARS ago and I KNOW the *field* has changed drastically. I'm goin with the above poster; get to a shop and see what they say...then go to ANOTHER shop and see what they say as to the first shop's reccomendations.....go from there.

11-07-2007, 5:58 PM
I shoot a Mathews Drenalin and a Kodiak Outdoors, but archery is at the point where almost any reasonably well built bow is good. If I were just starting out right now, I would have wished someone would have pointed me in the direction of the Bear Truth or Truth 2 bow. It is an AWESOME mid range bow, and really hangs with the best of them for a reasonable price. MANY say the same...i rarely hear a negative thing about it.

The best thing to do is go to your local archery shop and try some out...not Cabelas...find a real archery shop, where they know archery. Sportsman's warehouse typically has decent archery staff if you have to shop in a big retailer, but mom and pops are usualy hard to beat in knowledge. You will need to get a bow that matches your draw length, and every bow "fits" different. Also, price generally revolved around how fast and quiet the bow is. At a certain point, this stuff only matters to guys who have to have the top of the line. Everything in current production (with only a few exceptions) is fast enough to kill anything in North America, and quiet is relative. Don't worry so much about that at the level of equipment you are looking at.

I know a guy who shoots an ultra quite Bowtech Guardian, and he is the loudest hunter I have ever heard. Silly. I have never seen a deer so fast that it can outrun an arrow after hearing the bow recoil from a responsible distance.

As far as arrows and broadheads, I haven't heard of any restrictions (within reason). You can choose aluminum or carbon arrows (I assume you want a compound), and fixed or mechanical blades in California. The weight of the arrow will depend on several factors, but usually revolves most around what poundage you are shooting at. The weight of the broadheads is also up to you.

For reference, I shoot a 60-70 pound bow, typically at about 66 pounds. I shoot carbon express maxima hunter carbon arrows tipped with 100 grain Wack-um Triton heads. I recommend you stay away from mechanical tips, as to me they are annoying. I have 6 of the new fancy Rage broadheads that constantly have to be reset. I also find that carbon arrows are more popular. You really pay for the straightness of the arrow, but again, most everything is good enough. Buy field tiips to practice with in the same wight as your broadheads. Also, don't get too sucked into the broadhead marketing...they all kill effectively.

Pay close attention to your sight...try to get one with longer fibers...something that will hold the light a bit when it gets darker. You don't have to spend 200.00 on a sight. The cheaper tru-glo's are pretty good. Also, i recommend a whisker biscuit...the old fashion one. some of the new variations of the biscuit suck. A drop away is too expensive and can be added later.

PM me if you have any questions or need any info...I have been into archery for a long time.

11-07-2007, 6:44 PM
friend is selling his brand new bow if you're interested. http://www.socal-sportbikes.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=51907 there's the link. tell him Robert told you to call. :)