PDA

View Full Version : Can FFLs get mag rebuild kits?

savasyn
11-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Can FFLs get rebuild kits for normal capacity mags? If so, can they sell them to Kali citizens that already legally owned pre-ban mags?
Seems like most places won't send kits here and we obviously can't get assembled mags sent in, so an FFL willing to receive them and take them apart would be great. Is it legal?
To be clear, I'm asking about getting these for people that already have legally owned regular cap mags and not for those "looking to find them in an old closet" etc.

DedEye
11-07-2007, 1:22 AM
Everyone can get rebuild kits, FFL and otherwise.

Nefarious
11-07-2007, 6:35 AM
theres even some for sale now in the classifieds.

EastBayRidge
11-07-2007, 6:59 AM
44mag.com usually has a decent selection of M1A and AR mag rebuild kits to browse.

sammy
11-07-2007, 4:49 PM
I worry about these magazine rebuild kits as well. I essentally rebuilt completely my m-14 magazines with CMI parts and crushed the old USGI parts with my forklift to have as proof that I was trying in good faith to follow the law. Sounds a bit extreme but sitting in front of a judge trying to explain why I have a completely rebuilt magazine seems like a tough sell when the DA says that I imported a complete magazine.

8200rpm
11-07-2007, 5:53 PM
Has anyone been harassed or arrested for having legally rebuilt mags based on an assertion that they manufactured or caused to be manufactured, or imported into the state?

There are plenty of OLL cases, but have we seen anything similar with legally repaired magazines? It would seem that the ignorant law enforcement officials (DAs and/or LEOs) could easily create a lot of grief for someone who legally repaired a magazine using a post-2000 marked part or post AWB manufacturers part, e.g., floorplates, mag tubes.

I understand that it's legal to repair magazine possessed before 2000. Just want to know if someone who has "tested the limits of the law" been under legal scrutiny.

ldivinag
11-07-2007, 5:56 PM
i WOULD always keep the old parts to show as proof...

-hanko
11-07-2007, 6:09 PM
I worry about these magazine rebuild kits as well. I essentally rebuilt completely my m-14 magazines with CMI parts and crushed the old USGI parts with my forklift to have as proof that I was trying in good faith to follow the law. Sounds a bit extreme but sitting in front of a judge trying to explain why I have a completely rebuilt magazine seems like a tough sell when the DA says that I imported a complete magazine.
Burden of proof is on the DA. You would not go to trial as the DA can't prove you received a new standard capacity magazine after the prk ban. Your comment as to 'sounds a bit extreme...' is just the way your state government wants you to feel;)

-hanko

chiefcrash
11-07-2007, 6:35 PM
Burden of proof is on the DA. You would not go to trial as the DA can't prove you received a new standard capacity magazine after the prk ban. Your comment as to 'sounds a bit extreme...' is just the way your state government wants you to feel;)

-hanko

not to mention it's not illegal to receive high cap mags...

law only talks about importing, selling, manufacturing, etc. Nothing about buying or otherwise "finding"...

for all the DA knows, you bought them from an armed car company :wink:

chiefcrash
11-07-2007, 6:36 PM

-hanko

not to mention it's not illegal to receive high cap mags...

law only talks about importing, selling, manufacturing, etc. Nothing about buying or otherwise "finding" ;)