PDA

View Full Version : cleaning solvent for chrome lined barrels

chunger
11-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I've been hearing that ammonium based copper solvents are bad for chrome lined barrels. What should I use to clean the tube on my chromed lined rifles?

I've been using the stuff that came with my Otis cleaning kit, and it seems to protect pretty good, but doesn't seem to do very well in scrubbing out powder residue or copper.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have sweets and hoppes 9 but don't use them because I heard they might be bad for the chrome lined stuff.

savasyn
11-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I'd never heard that about chrome lined barrels. I'll be interested to see what others have to say about that.

I recently started using M-Pro7 as my primary solvent and I'm very happy with it. it doesn't smell bad, it doesn't hurt the environment(or at least too badly) and it seems to do a great job on cleaning.

Wyatt
11-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I've been using Hoppes for years and never had any problems. As with the Sweets, if you follow the directions I can't see it being a problem. Chrome is some hard stuff to screw up.

bwiese
11-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Ammonia-based solvents (Hoppe's #9, Hoppe's Copper Solvent, etc.) can indeed be harmful for chrome-lined bbls if left on for significant time. It's not an "instantly damaging" thing.

But if for some reason you choose to use such a solvent - i.e, for copper fouling removal - only use it for a very short time and subsuquently get rid of all residue after by running clean patches thru the bore/chamber -- then clean up using something like BreakFree CLP.

For chromed bores, generally BreakFree CLP or similar stuff is best. Longer term copper fouling can be (periodically) treated as outlined above - however, the copper fouling is fairly self-levelling over time.

chunger
11-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Cool. . . I'm on the right track then. I used the copper solvent when running Dave Tubb fire lapping bullets through, but never left it in the bore. For normal maintinence, I don't plan on needing to use a heavy solvent, but it's good to know I can without damage.

I seem to get a good result running the hoppes #9 through 1st to get the black soot out, and then run the sweets to get the green/blue soot out. Then either shoot bullets immediately or run the otis stuff through which seems "oily".

I do it according to the Otis kit instructions. Wet patch, dry patch, brush, repeat 'til patches come out "clean".

supersonic
11-07-2007, 5:51 AM
Cool. . . I'm on the right track then. I used the copper solvent when running Dave Tubb fire lapping bullets through, but never left it in the bore. For normal maintinence, I don't plan on needing to use a heavy solvent, but it's good to know I can without damage.

I seem to get a good result running the hoppes #9 through 1st to get the black soot out, and then run the sweets to get the green/blue soot out. Then either shoot bullets immediately or run the otis stuff through which seems "oily".

I do it according to the Otis kit instructions. Wet patch, dry patch, brush, repeat 'til patches come out "clean".

FinalFinish fire lapping is a waste of time on chrome-lined bores. Only makes a difference on unlined or stainless BBLs.

BillCA
11-07-2007, 6:13 AM
Here's some information from Bushmaster's FAQ regarding cleaning their chrome-lined barrels.

I have been using Sweet's 7.62 solvent with good luck in many of my rifles.

The correct mil. spec. cleaner/lubricant for AR15/M16 rifles is "Break Free" with CLP. However, we realize many people use other solvents, and we sell a comparable product from Tetra. The ammonia in Sweet's will not harm the chrome lining of the barrel, but long exposure may damage the receiver's finish. The use of a chamber rod guide (we sell 'em!) should keep the solvent off the receivers, if you remove the lower when cleaning.

And this, with regards to the finish;

There is a clear nickel acetate sealant applied over the anodizing and the steel parts in the rifle are also final finished in nickel acetate. Some solvents in gun cleaning solutions will attack nickel finishes, so read the label on your solvent to be sure you won't damage that surface finish.

If you use a bore cleaner besides CLP or Weapons Shield, be sure you clean out residues with some clean patches before lightly lubricating the bore.

Prc329
11-07-2007, 6:58 AM
Mpro7 s a very good cleaner and I don't feel like I need a respirator when cleaning my guns.