PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New Vaquero

WolfMansDad
11-06-2007, 9:13 AM
Does anybody else have one of these, or any other single-action .45 clone? I got one a few months ago, and it's fast becoming my favorite handgun. The ergonomics of this thing are amazing. I haven't actually timed it yet, but I swear I'm faster on target for the first shot with it than I am with a glock.

AJAX22
11-06-2007, 9:37 AM
Those old single action rugers are really nice.

I don't have one, but I've played with one before.

They look strange, (I'm used to the look of a more classic colt SAA) but man they really hit where you point em and they feel good in your hand.

They can be found cheap too, which is a big plus, and this is one rare occasion in life where you get more than what you pay for.

I've been thinking of trying to swap an SKS for one just to have a single action revolver to play with... but its a low priority and all gun money has been chaneled to other projects right now.

cactuspete
11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I've handled them at the stores and really like the New Vaquero. Would love a gloss stainless 38/357 version. Ruger has "cowboy'd" it up pretty good with the action, crescent shaped ejector rod, tc. It's a real toss up between a NV and USFA Rodeo - would really like the genuine Colt action.

bwiese
11-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I have the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk 357 flattop and love it. It's on the new smaller frame like the New Vaquero.

A caution on the New Vaquero in 45LC: do not use "Ruger loads". 'Ruger loads' were developed for use on the full-size Blackhawk/Vaquero/Bisley guns and not the new smaller frame guns.

WolfMansDad
11-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Those old single action rugers are really nice.
They look strange, (I'm used to the look of a more classic colt SAA) but man they really hit where you point em and they feel good in your hand.

The old model vaqueros are pretty clunky. Ruger redesigned them a couple of years ago, and the new models are almost indistinguishable in feel and balance from a colt. The main differences are the inclusion of a transfer bar and the fact that with the ruger you don't have to bring the hammer to half cock to load it. Just opening the gate frees up the cylinder. That's probably a consequence of the transfer bar too, so it may only be one difference. I've handled colts before but never owned one.

I think the ruger has three clicks on cocking, instead of the colt's four, but that's not enough to kick about. Pat Sweeney, in his book "Gunsmithing Pistols and Revolvers" says the vaquero works just like a colt except the leaf springs are replaced with coil springs.

Colt really hit an ergonomic home run with the original single-action army, and I'm glad to see ruger giving the design its due.

Miltiades
11-06-2007, 1:21 PM
I own the older style Vaquero in .44 magnum and have handled the new Vaquero in a gun store. The new version has a very nice feel to it - smaller and more compact than the old Vaquero, which was a real hand full.

But the old Vaquero is very attractive and a pretty good shooter. Here is mine:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/RugerVaquerort.jpg

50ae
11-06-2007, 1:50 PM
I have two old model Vaqueros, a 3 screw flat top 357 Blackhawk and and Uberti Remington copy in 45C. Love every one of them. They all make me feel like a cowboy.

Greenspartan117
11-06-2007, 1:50 PM
I want one in .357 mag so i can also shoot .38 sp out of it too ... wait can i even do that with the vaquero?

bwiese
11-06-2007, 2:07 PM
I want one in .357 mag so i can also shoot .38 sp out of it too ... wait can i even do that with the vaquero?

If you have any 357 Vaquero or New Vaqero, you most certainly can shoot any .38Spl out of it...

Greenspartan117
11-06-2007, 2:32 PM
If you have any 357 Vaquero or New Vaqero, you most certainly can shoot any .38Spl out of it...

SWEET thank you bwiese! hmm I think a SA ruger might be in the stars...

tatsuosan1964
11-06-2007, 5:12 PM
I have one in .357 mag, 5.5 inch barrel, blue cased. I held it next to the .45 LC and have to admit that the 45 had a better balance to it in the same barrel length. The outside diameter of the barrels are the same so the .357 has a smaller hole which mean more steel in the barrel making it a little more front heavy than the .45. The .45 balance was incredible. I got the .357 so that I could shoot .38 special as well. It has a very natural point to it and very fast to get the first round off within 10 yards. I have shot both one handed and two and either way it points very well.

50ae
11-06-2007, 9:16 PM
It really is an excellent pistol. The thing is just tough and you don't have to baby it like a Colt.

SWEET thank you bwiese! hmm I think a SA ruger might be in the stars...