PDA

View Full Version : Correct terminology for hi-cap mags

hkuspc40
11-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Being in my mid-thirties, I've been around long enough when 10+rd magazines in pistols and rifles was the norm. Today, while other free states are able to legally purchase these so called "hi-capacity" mags post AW ban, what we Californians are stuck w/ are actually "neutered" mags. I'd like to start a campaign where we, as strong 2nd Amendment supporters, start to use the term "neutered" mags at the gun store, shooting range, on the Internet when posting, wherever; to create awareness that this state, at one time, had equal rights as other law abiding citizens in the free states.

So, from this post forward, STOP using the term "high cap" mags in hopes that our dear anti-gun representatives will feel embarrassed to refer to the 10 round mags as "neutered" mags (due to our effort to indirectly change the terminology for 10rd mags). Its a psychological way of dealing w/ this issue and worth a try as it might spread like a bad disease!

I know and understand this is a long shot, but one can never give up on hope. And if you one day would like to be able to legally purchase magazines the way its intended for the pistols and rifles, lets work together to propagate the CORRECT terminology for these crap ***** 10 rd mags, which are really "neutered" mags.

I got this idea reading some other post which referred to the 10rd mags with this word. I couldn't agree more and feel that its absolutely unjust and unfair to the law abiding citizen. Together, one day, possibly, we can turn this boat around and prevent the unthinkable from happening. :gunsmilie:

bwiese
11-05-2007, 11:54 PM
aloney.

Geez, sounds like we're getting 'political correctness' imposed but from our own side.

If we start mixing up terms some poor noob is gonna get confused with what is/isn't legal.

I've already dealt with one crisis call today, I don't need another.

I'm the most progun guy around and I will continue to use 'hicap' simply because it parallels terms in CA law.

My goal is not to be politically correct even on our side, but to have terminology that accurately imparts device or gun status as per our CA laws.

People have a hard enough time with our laws, why do we want to include yet another set of terms/symbols for someone to deal with in an already complex minefield of laws?

tenpercentfirearms
11-06-2007, 5:48 AM
Two problems.

#1, your line of reasoning doesn't make sense. You say to stop using the term "hi-cap", but you don't say what we should replace it with. You simply say we should say "neutered mags", which refers to 10 round magazines, not the large capacity magazines that are banned in the state. Your statement confuses me which makes me wonder how serious you are trying to be.

#2, why would I call and talk to a anti-gun legislator about this anyway? I live in a free pocket of CA so the only anti-gunners I would call and talk to are usually well entrenched state-wide anti-gunners. However, lets pretend that I might talk to any anti-gunner about large capacity versus "neutered magazines". Are you trying to say that they will become so embarrassed over the phone or in person that I say the word neutered when referring to my own magazines that they will see the folly in their ways, immediately go out, and remove the large capacity magazine ban?

I would contend that is quite possibly one of the most unlikely events to happen in history. First, many anti-gunners have a negative impression of firearms anyway and believe they serve as an extension of a egotistical male's thoughts of his penis. They believe we are over compensating for other shortcomings. So if a anti-gunner has the ability to believe they have indeed "neutered" us, they are quite likely to find joy in that and find they might have actually made a postive difference in the world.

Second, this semantics game really means nothing to a group of anti-gunners who know exactly what gun control does and who have the ulitimate goal of completely banning all firearms.

Where it might count is with those sitting on the fence in the middle. However, I doubt a real fence sitter is going to feel ashamed for cutting off your balls. In fact, I would think your testicles are the furthest thing from their mind when they consider your gun rights, unless you make it an issue and at that time, you have probably now lost.

I would think you have a better chance of remaining professional and talking about things that matter like a liberty-minded country based on the principles of less government and security and how the 2nd Amendment applies today just as it did then.

The idea that a anti-gunner is going to feel bad for you because you have been "neutered" is simply going to reinforce the notion that your firearms are an extension of your penis and serve as some sort of sexual release for you, instead of the instruments of freedom and safe non-sexual recreation activities that the vast majority of us use them for.

If you would like to be more effective with your time, energy, and money, I would suggest contacting your respresentatives and encouraging them to vote no on anti-gun legislation without using the term "neutered".

WokMaster1
11-06-2007, 8:22 AM
Gosh! You think too much! That only means that you are not spending time shooting at the range or working OT to support your shooting habit.

Get off your butt & go shooting...already!:p

team06
11-06-2007, 9:05 AM
The term I have heard in the shooting industry is "Standard Capacity" and "10 round" mags. The Firearms industry on a whole in this country have been trying to revamp some of the terminology surounding "scary " terms in the media. EBR's are becoming SUR (SemiAuto Utility Rifles), or High tech Semi auto, etc. The industry on a whole needs to stop using these buzz words that the media is so fond of, and I think they know and are trying to change.

Team06

ghostwong
11-06-2007, 9:55 AM
+1 on that!

The term I have heard in the shooting industry is "Standard Capacity" and "10 round" mags. The Firearms industry on a whole in this country have been trying to revamp some of the terminology surounding "scary " terms in the media. EBR's are becoming SUR (SemiAuto Utility Rifles), or High tech Semi auto, etc. The industry on a whole needs to stop using these buzz words that the media is so fond of, and I think they know and are trying to change.

Team06

Annie Oakley
11-06-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a gun that only uses ten round magazines. It's perfect for my small hands. When I bought my Springfield pistol, it had two magazines with it. If I need 10 more rounds, I'll just go out and buy another magazine.

bohoki
11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
its a funny term

to me a hi-capacity magazine is a magazine that holds more than the one that comes with the firearm from the factory

which in no way suggests a capacity

a glock 17 mag that holds 17 is the standard magazine the 30 rounders are hi-caps

a 10/22 comes with a 10 rounder the butler creek 25/22 mags are hicaps
but a amt lightning 25/22 came with an eaton 25 round magazine so a butler creek magazine would be standard capacity for that particular rifle

say you have a remington 7400 that comes with a 4 round magazine i remember there was a few high capacity magazines for it that held 8 rounds that was a hi-cap mag

hkuspc40
11-06-2007, 10:29 AM
So much for trying to start a propaganda. All points are well noted. Perhaps we should use the term "10 round" mags as referenced by team06. I'm just frustrated that we're unable to "legally" obtain "standard capacity" mags in CA and was hoping to turn things around (yes, in the long run) for us pro-gunners. Peace out.