PDA

View Full Version : Possible to register a Para-Ord Hi-cap lmited in CA?

xs2k
11-05-2007, 7:58 PM
Hello,

I had a friend from Denver, CO that bought a Para Ordinance Hi-cap limited Pistol from another private seller. This is the 14 + 1 round version. In Colorado, you can purchase guns privately without going thru FFL. Here is the exact model:

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=67

Here's the deal, he recently moved to CA and is now serving in the army at Camp Pendleton (San Diego), but he's forced to go to Iraq in January. He brought the gun with him from Colorado, and since he's leaving for Iraq so soon unexpectedly, he wants to sell me the gun. The gun is still registered with the previous owner in CO, but he has paperwork to show he's the new owner. My questions:

1. Will I be able to register this gun in CA using only 10 rd mags at an FFL dealer here in CA? If so, how do I go about doing so?

2. If I can't register it, will I be able to modify to be "10 rd retricted" to register?

3. Although this exact model # is not listed in the DOJ roster of handguns for sale in CA, does this include Private Party sales?

Thanks in advance for the help.

xs2k
11-05-2007, 8:11 PM
hopefully he left the 14 rounder back in colorado.if he has ten rounders for it then yes you can do a ppt at a gun shop.just do it before he leaves

Yes, he left all 14 rd mags at home in CO. If I purchase the gun from him, I would have to buy new 10 rd mags.

Do you know for certain registration is possible for this gun? He's in SD and is pretty busy, so I don't him to drive up here for nothing. If the sale is not possible, he's just going to ship the gun home for storage.

xs2k
11-05-2007, 8:20 PM
if the gun is stolen it will just get picked up and the shop will contact you.military can sell to californians.sounds like he did forget to do the ownership record when he did bring it to cali.

The gun is definitely not stolen. He made photo copies of the seller's driver's license and ownership papers during purchase. They also wrote up a "bill of sale" for the gun and both parties signed the paper. In CO, he was pretty busy and never got to registering it. He was transfered to SD not too long ago, and will be leaving again soon.

Librarian
11-05-2007, 8:48 PM
Do you know for certain registration is possible for this gun? He's in SD and is pretty busy, so I don't him to drive up here for nothing. If the sale is not possible, he's just going to ship the gun home for storage.
Registration, in the sense of he is a personal handgun importer and must send in this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) and $19 - yes, piece of cake. Has nothing to do with Roster of Handguns etc.

xs2k
11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Registration, in the sense of he is a personal handgun importer and must send in this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) and $19 - yes, piece of cake. Has nothing to do with Roster of Handguns etc.

So...He has to fill out and send in this form FIRST before he can transfer the gun to me? Can I fill out this form directly and will gun be registered under my name using this form?

CSDGuy
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
So...He has to fill out and send in this form FIRST before he can transfer the gun to me? Can I fill out this form directly and will gun be registered under my name using this form?
No. Otherwise that would appear to be an interstate firearms transaction without an FFL... bad juju at both Fed and State levels... He's most likely going to have to reg it here... once it's reg'd to him, then it can be sold to you... via normal PPT procedure.

xs2k
11-06-2007, 10:13 AM
No. Otherwise that would appear to be an interstate firearms transaction without an FFL... bad juju at both Fed and State levels... He's most likely going to have to reg it here... once it's reg'd to him, then it can be sold to you... via normal PPT procedure.

yea, I had a feeling this was it. Thanks guys for the help. Hopefully he can register it under his name before he leaves and have it transfered to me.