PDA

View Full Version : Lens Cleaning

Vepr62
11-05-2007, 3:31 PM
What is effective way to clean scope lenses? I was using soft material enclosed with my scopes, but it leavs some lint residue on glass. Is there any better alternative? Thanks.
Vasiliy

CSACANNONEER
11-05-2007, 3:45 PM
Lens pen. You can get them from Midway.

bruce_ventura
11-06-2007, 8:12 PM
I prefer my optics really clean. Lens pens can smear oily dirt on the lens, or worse, scratch the lens if there is sand on it. I only use them in the field as a last resort. At home I blow off the dust with compressed air. Then I use lens tissue (available from Edmund Optics: http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1954&search=1) and isopropyl alcohol (aka, 100% rubbing alcohol from the local pharmacy). I fold the tissue into a tight wad no more than a half inch square and hold one edge with a pair of tweezers. I put a couple drops of alcohol on the opposite edge and wipe the lens in a circular pattern as though the tissue were a squeegee. You may have to do that two or three times, using fresh tissue each time. Do that when the lens gets really dirty and the lens pen will last longer.

Bruce