View Full Version : Lens Cleaning

11-05-2007, 2:31 PM
What is effective way to clean scope lenses? I was using soft material enclosed with my scopes, but it leavs some lint residue on glass. Is there any better alternative? Thanks.

11-05-2007, 2:45 PM
Lens pen. You can get them from Midway.

11-06-2007, 7:12 PM
I prefer my optics really clean. Lens pens can smear oily dirt on the lens, or worse, scratch the lens if there is sand on it. I only use them in the field as a last resort. At home I blow off the dust with compressed air. Then I use lens tissue (available from Edmund Optics: http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1954&search=1) and isopropyl alcohol (aka, 100% rubbing alcohol from the local pharmacy). I fold the tissue into a tight wad no more than a half inch square and hold one edge with a pair of tweezers. I put a couple drops of alcohol on the opposite edge and wipe the lens in a circular pattern as though the tissue were a squeegee. You may have to do that two or three times, using fresh tissue each time. Do that when the lens gets really dirty and the lens pen will last longer.