PDA

View Full Version : Converting a .22 rifle into a pistol.

ARRRR-15
11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Could I turn a .22 rifle into a pistol? Lets say I made a pistol grip that went over the magazine or that the magazine went up into and moved the trigger forward. Would this be legal?

duenor
11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
NO, iirc.
you now have a short barreled rifle that needs a tax stamp that you can't get approved in CA.

ARRRR-15
11-05-2007, 11:54 AM
But, I could build one from scratch(if I made the receiver myself), right?

AJAX22
11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
If you did indeed make the receiver from scratch then yes that would probably work.

It sounds like a complicated PITA, but if you avoid the other AW pistol features it could be done legally.

Explain a bit more what you plan on doing so we can tear your idea appart and give you constructive criticism ;)

dfletcher
11-05-2007, 1:02 PM
You mean like this?

http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=HCP-901675

The gun has a 16.5" bbl and is rimfire. Technically I believe it is still a rifle. I don't know the OAL - can't recall if rimfires have to meet a 30" OAL minimum.

ARRRR-15
11-05-2007, 1:57 PM
You mean like this?

http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=HCP-901675

The gun has a 16.5" bbl and is rimfire. Technically I believe it is still a rifle. I don't know the OAL - can't recall if rimfires have to meet a 30" OAL minimum.

Yeah that would be considered a rifle,iirc, if it met the 26" OAL that a .22 has to be.

Also the magazine is outside the pistol grip so that wouldn't be a legal pistol unless it was a fixed 10rd mag.

What I meant, is making it a pistol, i.e. short barrel, no stock and designing a grip that's fits around the magazine.

M. Sage
11-05-2007, 6:53 PM
No, you can't have a handgun that used to be a rifle. You'd have a short-barreled rifle.

They make rifle-action-based handguns (AR pistol, AK pistol, JB Custom's "Mare's Laig" for a few examples), but they're build on receivers that were never rifles, and were built FOR use as a handgun.