PDA

View Full Version : Assault fifles ok to hunt??

RayArms
11-04-2007, 10:44 PM
i was wondering if the Ak or Ar15 (semi) were Legal to hunt in Cali? please let me know ASAP..thx

xYourLocalAR15x
11-05-2007, 12:10 AM
OLL = yes
Assault "fifles"= no

CSACANNONEER
11-05-2007, 6:43 AM
Assault fifles can only be uses to take pugs during the special, California only, assault fifle pug season.

hoozaru
11-05-2007, 7:50 AM
if you have a full auto rifle AKA Assault fifles, you should be running not hunting.

SemiAutoSam
11-05-2007, 8:11 AM
Colt must have thought so as they advertised the AR as a hunting rifle.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/coltadbk6.jpg

metalhead357
11-05-2007, 6:13 PM
Assault "fifles"= no

WRONG. BLM even just updated its sight to rreflect the inaccuracies-- STILL no allowable in some areas. But NFS lands are usally 100% ok unless overseen by BLM. Check the local branch(es) for more info

And NO, no Hi-cap restrictions on anything but the immortal 3 Cap limit on SG's

this all presumes that you have a REGISTERED assualt weapon

SemiAutoSam
11-05-2007, 6:24 PM
Well think of it this way since BLM is a federal agency and there is no longer such thing as an assault weapon in the federal jurisdiction (IE the Federal AWB sunsetted) their regulations are mostly nothing but psycho babble IMO for all residents but those in California and other states that have AW regulations.

WRONG. BLM even just updated its sight to rreflect the inaccuracies-- STILL no allowable in some areas. But NFS lands are usually 100% ok unless overseen by BLM. Check the local branch(es) for more info

this all presumes that you have a REGISTERED assault weapon

xYourLocalAR15x
11-06-2007, 3:43 AM
WRONG. BLM even just updated its sight to rreflect the inaccuracies-- STILL no allowable in some areas. But NFS lands are usally 100% ok unless overseen by BLM. Check the local branch(es) for more info

this all presumes that you have a REGISTERED assualt weapon

you can hunt on BLM land with assault "fifles"? :D

mumbleypeg
11-06-2007, 7:25 AM
Fifles are usually accompanied by drums, it is hard to hunt with them because they are so noisy. They have become anachronistic in most battlefield applications as well.

CSACANNONEER
11-06-2007, 7:58 AM
Fifles are usually accompanied by drums, it is hard to hunt with them because they are so noisy. They have become anachronistic in most battlefield applications as well.

The biggest problem is that you can no longer import big drums into California.

RayArms
11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Ok guys, thanks for all the info... more than enough actually ...lol...but yes they are registered and semi-auto as well. Thank you people!

P.S U GUYS KNOW WHAT I MEANT!! RIFLES YOU NERDS!!:p:83:

bwiese
11-06-2007, 11:59 PM
OK, here it is.

(1) an OLL-based rifle configured to be non AW per SB23 is not an AW.

(2) Legal registered AWs can be used to hunt with express permission of landowner (private land), or express permission of agency operating public land.

Most CA lands are probably off-limits as to reg'd AW use; do not rely on local yokel sheriff or Parks & Rec guy to say it's OK - that permission needs to come down from operational channel w/management authority.

For use on any real true BLM lands, you already have blanket permission from the Director of Region 5 (back in approx. June 2003) to use legal registered AWs on true BLM lands. Not all BLMmies may know about this so google for this memo.

Some BLM lands may have control ceded to a weird California-managed status, and you may not have permission for AW use in those special cases.

The boundaries btwn BLM lands and other adjoining lands (private property, state property/state forests) may be irregular and you could step out of BLM land into areas where AW use/unlocked non-transport possession not legal. So use care and know where you are.

In theory, penalties for AW misuse (i.e, having/using/transporting an AW on land where you don't have permission) could be fairly drastic - turning into a 12280(a) felony even with a legal registered AW.

Be careful; transit into/out of your hunting/shooting area where you're allowed to use your AW should be "locked and unloaded". Once done you should head directly home or to another authorized destination.

[I know of no hunting/ Fish & Game magazine capacity or ammo filling restrictions (i.e, 5rd magazines, or mags only filled to 5rds, etc.) - they could exist but I don't know about 'em. Someone else can chime in here if they know of any such restrictions: if these exist, they'd likely apply to any rifle, and not just AWs.]

Bobula
11-07-2007, 12:03 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/denomolous/faass.jpg

chico.cm
11-07-2007, 11:28 AM
If you are asking about the cartridges, yes, .223 is fine for lots of critters (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/07-08-mammal-regs.pdf).
If you have an OLL [rifle], or a registered evil [rifle] then hunt away.

"311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident
Small Game....
(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells
only and incapable of holding more than three shells
in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug
is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to
fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must
be of one piece construction incapable of removal
without disassembling the gun;
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed
that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except
that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or
possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall
be loose in the shell.
(c) Muzzle‑loading shotguns;
(d) Falconry;
(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery
equipment regulations);
(f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed
air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking
wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking
rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County,
in addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d)
and (e) above."

"353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big
Game....
(a) Except for the provisions of subsections
353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as
defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only
be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with
softnose or expanding bullets; bow and arrow
(see section 354, title 14, CCR, for archery
equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock,
flintlock or percussion type, including “in-line”
muzzleloading rifles using black powder or
equivalent black powder substitute, including
pellets, with single ball or bullet loaded from the
muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation.
(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than
three shells firing single slugs may be used for
the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas
where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with
slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns
capable of holding not more than three shells
firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the
taking of deer only.
(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges
with softnose or expanding bullets may
be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.
(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel
lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges
with softnose or expanding bullets may be used
to take elk and bighorn sheep.
(e) Except as provided in subsection 354(j),
crossbows may be used to take deer and wild
pigs only during the regular seasons.
(f) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading
rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading
rifles as described in subsection 353(a)
equipped with open or “peep” type sights only.
(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading
rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess
muzzleloading rifles with sights as described
in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as
described in Section 354; or both. For purposes
of this subsection, archery equipment does
not include crossbows, except as provided in
subsection 354(j)."

slick_711
11-07-2007, 1:10 PM
If you are asking about the cartridges, yes, .223 is fine for lots of critters (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/07-08-mammal-regs.pdf).
If you have an OLL [rifle], or a registered evil [rifle] then hunt away.

That PDF won't work for me, and I don't see anything in the cited info about caliber; So just for clarification's sake, (rifle type irrelevant) is .223 acceptable for deer hunting in CA?

I've heard both yes and no, from various sources. I keep hearing minimum deer caliber is .243 but that makes no sense when 77gr SMK is only 3 grains lighter than the standard 80gr .243 softpoints... I never have found a decent method of searching CA legal codes, I don't know where you guys find this stuff. :confused:

Hunter
11-07-2007, 3:22 PM
That PDF won't work for me, and I don't see anything in the cited info about caliber; So just for clarification's sake, (rifle type irrelevant) is .223 acceptable for deer hunting in CA?

I've heard both yes and no, from various sources. I keep hearing minimum deer caliber is .243 but that makes no sense when 77gr SMK is only 3 grains lighter than the standard 80gr .243 softpoints... I never have found a decent method of searching CA legal codes, I don't know where you guys find this stuff. :confused:

A lot of us know that deer can be killed with a .22lr in the right situation with one shot. So can a .223 be used for deer? yes. Is it legal in CA? Yes with softpoint/expanding bullets. FMJ are illegal for hunting.

But I will say this round is marginal at best for the average guy in the average deer hunting situation. When most guys state that the .243 is the minimum, they are actually looking at the 95 or 100 gr rounds when saying this and not the 80 gr ones. But even the 80 gr rounds will typically push 3300 fps with 2000 ft-lbs of energy. Compare this to the .223 and a 77 gr having only 1250-1300 ft-lbs. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Your reference to using 77 SMK for hunting...well it can be done and guys have done it. But even Sierra states that while these bullets are some times used for hunting, they recommend against that practice and to stick with target shooting only.

The biggest issue with the .223 is that it performs very marginal on deer size game for anything but the best of shots. For example, hitting a deer's shoulder blade at 100 yrds (energy only 900 ft-lbs) with a angle shot will more times than not produce a wounded deer. On the other hand the .243 95 gr still has 1800 ft-lbs at 100 yrds. Which is almost 150% of the energy that the .223 77gr has at the muzzle!