PDA

View Full Version : SIG GSR 1911

WINGEDSWORD
11-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Has anyone had experience with the SIG 1911? I was pretty set on getting a
S&W 1911, but I'll have to order it, as no one local stocks a Smith without the forward slide serrations.(Unecessary and ugly, as far as I'm concerned) But one person on the board has a GSR for sale. I just might be interested. It's really just for range play. I already have 4 Colts.

Black Majik
11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Cruise over to the SIG specific forum. www.sigforum.com/eve

Both the GSR and Revolution are still getting plagued with problems. A bummer too, I think it's a great looking gun.

Between a SIG and a S&W, go for the Smith.

leelaw
11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I like the styling of the Sig 1911s, but they have problems, originally based on external extractors and specialty parts. Forward serrations aren't a bad thing - I usually use that area to perform a press check since it gets my hand out of the way of the chamber inspection when I grip there, as opposed to the back. It also allows for an under-the-barrel press check, if that works for you.

tjcoker
11-05-2007, 8:34 AM
Well, I have a vested interest. I bought the Sig GSR from Paul at Gunrunners because I was doubting my Kimber Custom TLE II based on a break in period of my first 700 or so rounds. I went to Paul and he told me he was a Master Kimber dealer but has dropped them since the President of Kimber went to Sigarms. He swears by the Sig GSR line and I have no reason to doubt him as he supplies our Large LE agency's Deputies with most of their backup guns. That being said, I bet it isn't all that much better than my "Custom" Kimber which required a breakin period. Seems like some guys swear by their gun out of the box, others cant stand that it didn't shoot right during the first 500 or so, and some others get a lemon.

This link seems to show all three:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8171078501

One of these days I'll be able to buy an Ed Brown, but we'll see how long that takes... :)

gimmejr
11-05-2007, 9:23 AM
He swears by the Sig GSR line and I have no reason to doubt him as he supplies our Large LE agency's Deputies with most of their backup guns.

So he has no reason to lie since he is trying to sell guns.

I love Sigs but buy something else besides a Sig GSR.

1911_sfca
11-05-2007, 9:59 AM
I have both a Sig GSR (original edition, from 2004), and a Smith 1911.

The Smith is more true to the original 1911 design - a bit thinner, and the inner parts aren't to the same quality as the Sig, but they're still functional. After doing a poor man's trigger job on the Smith, it has an excellent trigger.

the Sig had an issue where it was fitted just a little too tight. After having sig replace the barrel bushing, it has been working flawlessly ever since.

The Sig is beefier, has slightly more "polished" internals, and is more Sig-like.

The Smith was cheaper, is more of a simple 1911, and has been quite reliable with no problems ever.

cho034442
11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree with 1911_sfa about the parts Sig used in the GSR.
Mine has been back to Sig three times and it is finally working fine.
The good thing is that Sig paid for shipping for all three returns.

tjcoker
11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
So he has no reason to lie since he is trying to sell guns.

I love Sigs but buy something else besides a Sig GSR.

Well, you did get me there... :rolleyes:

Paul has actually turned me away from buying from him in the past though, he's honestly not that typical "You got to buy this or else" kind of salesman. He hooks up a good deal and lets you know what his customers have found to work. Now if every salesman is a liar then I guess I have something to learn, but many of my partners and I have yet, to my knowledge, gone wrong with his recommendations. It has been disconcerting to make the drive, think that something was all that based on internet or gun magazine reviews, and then been steered towards not buying anything at all from him until additional research and the borrowing/shooting of other's guns have occurred.

But then again, he could be snowing me... :)

Checkout this owner's poll at M1911.org though, looks like any other poll.
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=38412

Tim.

bwiese
11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
For all of you unhappy with your Sig GSRs or S&W 1911s, I will buy them (PPT) for $350 all day long <bseg>

tjcoker
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
For all of you unhappy with your Sig GSRs or S&W 1911s, I will buy them (PPT) for $350 all day long <bseg>

I'll buy your Commanders for $350.01 all day long, I just don't want my 2nd Government model. :)

I know, I know, blasphemy... but Momma is having some input about Christmas being right around the corner and the Commander is on hold since I just bought the Sig GSR.

TannerBoyl
11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I've owned a Stainless SIG GSR Revolution for about a year now. I purchased it after shooting my brother's original (problem-free) GSR. I've only put 300 rounds through mine, and it hasn't given me any problems. I've used ACT/Novak, Chip McCormick Power Mags and Metalform mags with it. All FMJ rounds have fed reliably. I haven't run any hollow-points through it. I do remember reading where a few people have had issues with HP feeding.

I've read a some reviews where people have had issues with the GSR line. Some have sent their GSR back to SIG multiple times. I've also read a few reviews where people swear by the reliability and accuracy. I bought mine because it was a decent deal! I haven't regretted it at all!

Another thing to be aware of is that the GSR doesn't always fit in molded 1911 holsters. SIG changed the slide profile which may cause holster fitting issues. If you want to carry / compete with it, you'll probably have to seek out a holster crafted specifically for a GSR.

While I do like my GSR, I am also looking into a SW1911. I like the way they look (except for the ones with the obnoxious SW1911 LASER'd into the slide). I've read some excellent reviews on them.

Good luck with your search!

SNEAKS
11-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Ive had a GSR since August and have put 650 rounds through it. The first 100 rounds I had 3 ftf on the last round of the mag so I took the mags apart and staightened out the springs a bit and that did the job. Since then I have had no problems at all. It is an awsome gun accurate as hell and looks nice. I would buy another.:D

bwiese
11-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Ive had a GSR since August and have put 650 rounds through it. The first 100 rounds I had 3 ftf on the last round of the mag so I took the mags apart and staightened out the springs a bit and that did the job. Since then I have had no problems at all. It is an awsome gun accurate as hell and looks nice. I would buy another.:D

Yes, many of these GSR problems may in fact be mag related.

It would be nice for those with problematic GSRs to try & report on usage of standard Colt 1911 magazines or perhaps regular MecGars - no fancy features, no extended tubes or special followers, no Chip McCormicks, no Wilsons, just plain ol' 1911 factory Colt mags.

aplinker
11-05-2007, 1:32 PM
I have a Sig GSR. It's ok, but it's nothing great. You'd be happier with your Colts.

I wouldn't say it's a bad choice, I just don't think it's worth the money they're asking.

It's moderately reliable. Occasional hang-ups with both FMJ and HP, but it's rare (less than 1/range session, and I generally shoot 200rds+).

I had work done on mine and it runs well. The smith also said it wasn't as good of quality gun as a Colt, and he's a Sig guy (big time).

As far as mags, the best in the Sig are the ones that come with it -- the Novaks. It does OK on Colt factory mags, but I see more FTF/E's. Chip McCormick's were about the same. I would say both of them probably tripled+ the failures (probably one per box).

cho034442
11-05-2007, 3:07 PM
On mine, for the 3-point jam problem, it happened to the ACT mag that comes with the GSR and also on Wilson 47D and CMC power mag. Sig said they polished the breech face and feed ramp and the problem was resolved.
All those magazines work fine with my Kimber TLE II.

Gnote
11-05-2007, 7:08 PM
Have a Revolution stainless with rail and solid trigger. Had 3 point failures with the factory mags, chip mc mags and kimber mags. It went back to sig three times. The third was also b/c the front night sight went dim in under 6 months. Used tetra grease on rails and barrel but still had issues. It's been in the safe and hasn't come out since. I would sell it to you Bill but it would leave a worse taste in my mouth with the investment I had in it. I do like the way it looks so take it out once in a while for that. One day I will bite the bullet and send to a smith for a reliability package.

If you do get and have problems, make sure to get a shipping label. I sent it back to them at their request the first time. Asked for a label and was told that if it was a gun issue I would be reimbursed. Long story short, they polished the feed ramp so I would think it was a gun issue but when I inquired about the reimbursement, the senior manager said they couldn't do anything for me. After pleading, they sent me some grips.

This has turned me off from sig for a while (except for the X5 I got and absolutely love). We've been buying other manufacturers including S&W and am impressed with these to date. Looking at a M&P right now. Might get a 9 for me and a 40 from him.