PDA

View Full Version : Belt fed AR-15 legal?

team06
11-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Just pondering my next project, and I ran across an article for a belt fed AR http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Shrike,,00.html?ESRC=soldierte ch.nl .
How would this be legal/illegal in this state (in semi-auto only)? It might make an interesting way to shoot a course of fire at a 3 gun match. If you had an ammo can that locked into the magwell, your reloads would be a lot less frequent. Yes, I am posting from work, and badly in need or a "things that go bang" fix.

Team06

50 Shooter
11-04-2007, 12:17 PM
It would still be limited to 10 rounds, other then that I can't see why you could'nt have one as it's only just an upper. Being a Shrike might be the only reason you can't get one as I still don't think anyone has received theirs.

A friend has one of those Lakeside .22 beltfed uppers for his AR lower. That upper is beyond cool, check them out when you get a chance.

C.G.
11-04-2007, 12:48 PM
The Shrike is legal, but good luck in getting one. The current waiting list is long and they are not accepting any new orders due to a backlog. Also, it is not cheap.

http://www.aresdefense.com

leelaw
11-04-2007, 12:59 PM
They are legal, however it would need to be a featureless build, and, unless you had the >10 cap belts before 2000, you would not be allowed to use belts longer than 10 rounds.

bwiese
11-04-2007, 1:04 PM
Belts over 10rds are (unless possessed before 2000, and retained in that state) a "high capacity ammunition feeding device". So you could not link over 10rds, and these would have the same status as detachable magazines.

As stated above, you could not use these on anything but a 'featureless' build - meaning no pistol grip, thumbhole/telestock, flash hider, etc.

E Pluribus Unum
11-04-2007, 2:30 PM
As stated above, you could not use these on anything but a 'featureless' build - meaning no pistol grip, thumbhole/telestock, flash hider, etc.

Unless of course one removed the butt stock and installed spade grips...

anothergunnut
11-04-2007, 9:17 PM
Unless of course one removed the butt stock and installed spade grips...

I love this website. So many people with great ideas!

tenpercentfirearms
11-05-2007, 5:18 AM
Would your spade grip set up meet the 30" minimum length requirement?

Stormfeather
11-05-2007, 5:37 AM
not trying to hijack, but ive got a 5 gallon bucket in storage of 556 and 762 links. The last time I checked, they was rusty from water getting in there. Anyone have a quick fix idea on how to clean them en masse? Short of cleaning each individual link, which I foresee as being a huge p.i.t.a.

E Pluribus Unum
11-05-2007, 5:41 AM
Would your spade grip set up meet the 30" minimum length requirement?

It would have to... There are many ways to accomplish this.

Harbinger
11-05-2007, 6:15 AM
not trying to hijack, but ive got a 5 gallon bucket in storage of 556 and 762 links. The last time I checked, they was rusty from water getting in there. Anyone have a quick fix idea on how to clean them en masse? Short of cleaning each individual link, which I foresee as being a huge p.i.t.a.

Brass/rock Tumbler + gritty media + time. ;-)