PDA

View Full Version : A gun for the girl.

kuhjäger
11-03-2007, 11:31 PM
So my girlfriend has expressed great intrest in buying a handgun. She wants something that can be converted from 9mm, which is her ideal caliber to .22 for cheap shooting.
(she really liked the supressed p22, but alas no NFA arms in Ca)
I am steering her towards glock, but she really likes the 1945 style frame.

What do you all reccomend looking at?

SFFRONTMAN
11-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Kimber target stainless in 9mm which is a smooth shootin 1911, and a kimber or ceiner .22 conversion kit which replaces the topslide. A perfect match

Timberland
11-04-2007, 12:08 AM
I never understand why convert to .22, when a good .22 is the same price as the conversion. You are just ditying up your main gun with the .22 kit. If you like 1911 get a buck mark it costs what a .22 upper costs and has a similar feel of a 1911. Just get two guns, and use each as God and Uncle Sam intended.

ivanimal
11-04-2007, 12:19 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=73908

Here on the sale boards now.

leelaw
11-04-2007, 12:23 AM
CZ 75, P-01 or SP-01 with the .22lr conversion kit.

CZs are great guns, at a great price, and I've only heard good things about their .22 conversions (never used one, myself)

If not that, then I second the Kimber 1911 in 9mm, with the Kimber .22 conversion. I've used the Kimber .22 conversion and like it very much.

ETA: What do you mean by 1945 frame? CZ 1945, or do you mean 1911 style?

Millions-Knives
11-04-2007, 1:48 AM
I sold my Glock 17, grip was a little big for smaller hands- but if it works it's a great gun.

CZ was great, although my only experience with it was at the local firing line with about 50 rounds of 9mm. Very accurate and heavy enough to reduce felt recoil.

anothergunnut
11-04-2007, 6:17 AM
1911 types are more difficult to field strip than a more modern type such as a Glock. I think that is important to somebody who is not really into guns. For that reason, I would also think twice before buying a Ruger Mark III. There is a reason that double action revolvers are so frequently recommended for first time gun buyers.

kurac
11-04-2007, 7:02 AM
May I suggest a Browning Hi-power for the 9mm. They are utterly reliable and have a smaller grips frame than most other double stacks. For the .22 I would just get a another gun since like someone else already posted, the conversion kit will cost you as much anyhow.

Cpl_Peters
11-04-2007, 7:22 AM
i agree with the the other people that say that a conversion kit is a waste. Get her a g19 or xd 9 and get a ruger MKII or III for the same price as the conversion kit. Those conversion kits are inaccurate and have malfunctions (the ones I have used at least) nothing like a solid plinker MKII

brassburnz
11-04-2007, 7:23 AM
I have a Glock 34 with an Advantage Arms LE .22 conversion, a Beretta 92FS with a Beretta factory .22 conversion, an Advantage Arms Target Model .22 conversion built into a dedicated gun, and a Marvel Unit 1 built into a gun.

The easiest to convert is the Beretta. The takedown latch is easy to manipulate. Remove the 9mm mag. Remove the 9mm slide. Install the .22 slide. Insert the .22 mag and lock the slide back.

The AA conversion for the Glock is almost as simple to install, but I did have some issues fitting the conversion to a 2nd Gen. G17. The barrel wouldn't lock onto the frame properly. It needed a little fitting work.

I still haven't gotten the 1911 AA conversion to run right. It is ammo sensitive and I don't have the time to test batches of ammo right now.

The Marvel Unit 1 runs perfectly, although it took me over a year and trips back to Marvel to get it running this way. There were some problems with magazines that finally got fixed. The Marvel is the most accurate pistol I own and is the most fun to shoot.

My daughter prefers the Marvel over the other 22 conversions. She doesn't like to shoot anything but the 22. She's tried shooting the others in 9mm, but doesn't like the recoil. She's still little. She only weighs about 100 pounds.

Randy
NRA Life Member

WINGEDSWORD
11-04-2007, 9:29 AM
If she likes the 1911 style frame, by all means get one. If she likes it, she'll
shoot it. I don't agree with those who say easier to field strip, more modern, etc. From long experience of shooting and teaching others to shoot, personal
taste is what will decide whether or not she shoots it. I also disagree with those who say get a second pistol. A conversion kit allows her to use controls that she is already familiar with. Back to the personal taste issue. When My daughter wanted a 9MM, I offered her a choice of three pistols.
Two brand new stainless S&W's. She turned her nose up at both of them and asked for my customized Browning. Her logic was impeccible, so she got the Browning!

movie zombie
11-04-2007, 4:31 PM
1st handgun for a woman: 22LR revolver and if she's up to it a s&w 60 in .357 so she can shoot either .357 or .38 ammo. take her to a range with rental guns...... and let her decide.

movie zombie

CSDGuy
11-04-2007, 5:02 PM
Another option is to go with a full size 9mm and get a .22LR second pistol that has similar controls. To that end, I happen to like my 1911A-1 in .45ACP and my Browning Buckmark. Yes, they're different guns, but most of the controls that I'd have to operate are in the same basic locations.

On the other hand, if she's looking to have one frame, by all means, get a good quality .22LR upper and mags, and have at it.