PDA

View Full Version : Could a law firm prepare an OLL information packet?

gmcal
11-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I've seen it touched on here before but I have not seen anything come of it. But, could we commission a law firm to create a packet containing the history of the AW's laws in CA? The purpose of this packet would be to inform LEO's, DA's, and your own personal defense lawyer of the legal status of properly configured rifles, should the need arise. Perhaps, we could send these packets to the 58 DA's, county sheriffs, and larger police agencies to hopefully prevent any arrests or proscecutions in the first place.

Topics to address in the packet would be the original ban and the later court decisions, legislation, and regulations that have since happened. The proper configurations that would make a AW-look-alike legal to own and buy would also be included.

I think including the various legal cases that have went our way should also be included, Sierra Sports in Modesto, hopefully the Matt Corwin case and any others. This would serve the purpose of showing the DA's what a waste of limited resources prosecuting these cases are.

I don't know if it would be necessary or even relevant to have each copy notorized.

I'm not sure how to proceed or even if there is any legal barriers that would prevent a law firm from undertaking a job like this. Maybe, have a small group of people from calguns act as liason's between individuals who want the packet and the law firm. We could place our order with shipping info and have a copy sent to us. The cost of preparing the packet and sending extra copies to DA's and LEO's could be included and spread out to each copy an individual buys. I imagine that even with a few hundred people buying a copy it would still be on the expensive side, but, it could be less than paying for a legal defense against bogus AW charges. Even if you are proscecuted it might save your attorney a couple of hours of research.

So, for the sharp legal minds out there, is this possible? If it is please feel free to run with it, I'm not qualified to handle this type of thing.

ar15barrels
11-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Get BillW on this.
He has basically written the text in his FAQ's.
It would just be a matter of printing, packaging and mailing.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-04-2007, 12:16 AM
There is no muscle behind any such packet unless it is sent in the form of legal notice. Notarized, certified and filed with the courts for preservation.

We discussed this some months back, but things kinda fizzled out. Here is the thread if you want to see the discussion.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=55733

gmcal
11-04-2007, 12:49 AM
FINF,

Thank you for the link. That's pretty much what I was thinking.

gmcal
11-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Other than the Matt Corwin case, is there any reason we should wait to start this process?