PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40?

cactus
11-03-2007, 6:41 PM
With Smith and Wessons rebate and the 2 free mags I was thinking about getting one of there M&Ps in 40 cal. I wanted a full size and was wondering if anyone had anything good or bad to say about them. Thanks for your input!

bwiese
11-03-2007, 6:59 PM
I have the M&P45 and love it. (I have the version w/1911-style manual safety.) Triggers take a bit of time to start breaking in - at least 500 rounds, maybe more. Supposedly the 45 triggers take more break-in

People like the 9mm and 40 versions too. (These do not have manual safeties, only the 45 does.)

Initial tolerance/mfg concerns for early M&Ps are gone. S&W got everything fixed up and has continued to maintain its rep for excellent customer support.

Dan Burwell has published how to do your own trigger job and how to remove the mag disconnect safety. If you don't wanna do that (some people have messed theirs up!), you can send your frame into Burwell Gunsmithing for a very reasonable price (I think it's somewhere around $75 for a basic ~4lb trigger job and mag disco removal is a byproduct. Racegun triggerwork is also possible but I'd not recommended that for regular defense/street/average shooter. Reports are that Burwell M&P triggers are better than typical Glock triggers.

You might wanna get some different sights put on. I do enjoy my G21 sights, I'm still deciding what I want on my M&P45.

People are starting to use these in IDPA. I believe some match bbls will be coming out too - at least for 45 at first (and maybe 9- dunno about 40, that's not really known as an accuracy round).

The MP pistol forum is at http://www.mp-pistol.com and you can find links to Dan Burwell Gunsmithing. Dan's a frequent contributor to that forum, too and seems to be a great guy.

Given price/performance, the long-term position in their product line, and resurgence in reputation for S&W [and the fact that S&W has completely moved away from the ill-conceived Sigma and seems to be dumping inventory] I think there'll be nice aftermarket support for these guns, and I think they give Glock a run for the money - esp as to ergonomics.

I believe there'll be a "long slide" version of the 45ACP coming out, and I want one of those too. (Maybe in Flat Dark Earth!). I may get a 9mm compact version as well - my buddy Parag's thinking of one.

Exiledviking
11-03-2007, 7:05 PM
The first M&P I shot was .40 and I fell in love with it. I ended up buying the 9mm M&P because I was going to use it primarily for shooting the local Steel Challenge matches. It now has close to 4,000 rounds thru it without a single hiccup. I ran it for close to 3,000 without cleaning to see if it would give me any trouble. NONE!!!
I really like mine and every person that has fired it liked it. It is one of the "softest shooting" polymer guns in my experience.
Go for it!

cactus
11-03-2007, 7:17 PM
Bill you sealed the deal, I wanted to buy my wife and I a pistol for IDPA . To find out people are actually using them and theres a place to send them, well im all in. Thanks for all the info Ill order 2 on monday.

Kiba
11-03-2007, 7:33 PM
I played with an M&P 45 the other day... WAY more comfy in my hand than my Glock 21. I'm thinking of picking one up especially with all the positive reports.

I didn't really care for the trigger on the M&P out of the box-- not the worst trigger I've felt, but certainly not the best either.

The rebate & free mag offer right now makes it even more tempting.

bwiese
11-03-2007, 8:01 PM
I didn't really care for the trigger on the M&P out of the box-- not the worst trigger I've felt, but certainly not the best either.

As I said, it will "burn in" - and for $75 or so you can get a 'nice' Burwell trigger and mag disco removed at same time.

Jump on it. You can't go wrong.

DRM6000
11-03-2007, 8:08 PM
I played with an M&P 45 the other day... WAY more comfy in my hand than my Glock 21. I'm thinking of picking one up especially with all the positive reports.

you won't regret the purchase, i promise you. i have the m&p40 and have not one complaint.

you can smooth out the trigger. it's easy.

check to see if the free s&w range bag is still being offered.

Kiba
11-03-2007, 8:59 PM
I might have to pick one up when I go back to Irvington. I dropped one of my STI 2011's off with Frank yesterday for a 1.5lb trigger job and that's when I played with the M&P .45. I nearly DROS'd it that day. I like my 3rd gen G21 but find the grip shape, angle, & feel of the M&P much, much better than my G21. It felt very nice with the medium backstrap and pointed really well. I might buy it to try and if I like it I'll put my G21 in the classifieds.

I wouldn't mind having one in 9mm too. I have bucketloads of 9mm brass and no 9mm pistols right now. I was considering getting a G17 or fullsize Baby Eagle in 9mm but now I'm thinking of an M&P in 9mm to fill the void.

You have until January 28th for the rebates so there is still time for me to buy a pair and make it in before the rebate ends. :p

leelaw
11-03-2007, 9:10 PM
My friend just got the M&P .40 as his issue sidearm. He installed the large palm swell grip onto it and I tried it out for a couple hundred rounds yesterday.

I liked the way the gun felt, handled, and that the snappy recoil I usually associate with the .40SW round (due to my experience with Glocks) was tamed a bit.

The front sight is high, so I was hitting low on target at 15yds.

The trigger has a two-stage feel to it, which I'm a little iffy about. It also had a definite amount of grittiness to it, which, if it were my gun, I would send off to be honed down and polished.

Overall I'd give the gun a thumbs-up. If I did not have other studd on my "to get" list, I would buy one, though probably in 9mm and .45

cactus
11-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Ive been shooting my baby eagle in 45. and have found it to be my current favorite. I have a stable of 9mm and a few custom 45, but I own nothing in 40. To top things off I recently went shooting at a private range and got to experience shooting on the move ( loved it ). Also ive been invited to quite a few 2 and 3 gun matches recently. My thought was why not get a 40 as I dont own one. Two with the adjustable palm swell maybe my wife would like it as well. Three the recent ballistics ive read on the 40 are impressing me for some reason. The final straw is that rebate and the extra mags. Now I learn thats theres customizations possible at what apers to be reasonable cost. Since this apers to be the answer to many of my questions do people use 40 in competitions? I know all the guys I was shooting with were shooting hot 9mm or 38. Maybe my attempt to kill two birds with one stone are illadvised in this attempt. All in all I think I will be at my local store on monday anyways. Thanks guys!

sholling
11-03-2007, 11:47 PM
I pick my M&P45 up this coming Friday. I went with the manual safety (sku 109006) and plan on sending it off to Burwell. Next up will be an M&P9c, followed by a 45c when they come out.

bwiese
11-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I pick my M&P45 up this coming Friday. I went with the manual safety (sku 109006) and plan on sending it off to Burwell. Next up will be an M&P9c, followed by a 45c when they come out.

My brudda!

Kiba
11-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Looking at the safety roster, it's somewhat vague. It doesn't list part numbers, only caliber, material, & safety configuration. It lists the safety variants (external safety lever or no lever), mag disconnect, but doesn't list standard or night sights, which S&W offers.

The listings I'm interested in read as follows:

M&P 45 (Mag. Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer
M&P 45 (Mag. Safety & Thumb Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer

So would it be OK to order one with night sights? I'm not even sure of the product # as S&W doesn't list them on their M&P brochure .pdf. I can't decide if I want the thumb safety or not.

leelaw
11-04-2007, 1:51 AM
Looking at the safety roster, it's somewhat vague. It doesn't list part numbers, only caliber, material, & safety configuration. It lists the safety variants (external safety lever or no lever), mag disconnect, but doesn't list standard or night sights, which S&W offers.

The listings I'm interested in read as follows:

M&P 45 (Mag. Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer
M&P 45 (Mag. Safety & Thumb Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer

So would it be OK to order one with night sights? I'm not even sure of the product # as S&W doesn't list them on their M&P brochure .pdf. I can't decide if I want the thumb safety or not.

All guns on the list are legal with or without night sights, and with or without the stock grips (ie: if it comes with night sights and Crimson Trace grips, it's just as legal as the base model with iron sights and plastic no-frills grips)

Kiba
11-04-2007, 9:30 AM
All guns on the list are legal with or without night sights, and with or without the stock grips (ie: if it comes with night sights and Crimson Trace grips, it's just as legal as the base model with iron sights and plastic no-frills grips)

That's what I figured but you can never be too sure.

Gnote
11-04-2007, 9:47 AM
That's what I figured but you can never be too sure.

This quote is directly on the DOJ Roster main page:
All handguns listed on the roster are approved with or without night sights.

URL:
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Kiba
11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
This quote is directly on the DOJ Roster main page:

All handguns listed on the roster are approved with or without night sights.

URL:
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

LOL

I was looking late last night and must have missed that.

Sidewaysammy
11-07-2007, 4:58 PM
LOL

I was looking late last night and must have missed that.

I believe the thumb safety along with the Mag disco is the only one approved for CA ? :confused:

Kiba
11-07-2007, 5:39 PM
I believe the thumb safety along with the Mag disco is the only one approved for CA ? :confused:

Nope, I just ordered the non-thumb safety M&P .45 on Monday. It's already at the shop. Pickup is next friday.

I got the SKU# off RSR Group's website.

109006 is the frame mounted safety (CA approved), 109206 is the non-safety, also CA approved.

Sidewaysammy
11-07-2007, 6:38 PM
Nope, I just ordered the non-thumb safety M&P .45 on Monday. It's already at the shop. Pickup is next friday.

I got the SKU# off RSR Group's website.

109006 is the frame mounted safety (CA approved), 109206 is the non-safety, also CA approved.

Thanks for the clarification.
Where did you buy yours from?