PDA

View Full Version : best 80% or 100% AK pistol receivers?

swift
11-03-2007, 3:39 PM
I'm thinking about trying my hand with 80% receivers. (80% for you guys is like 50% for me) What would you recommend for an AK pistol? I checked Ak-builder and can't figure out which flat would be best.

Let's say I could find an FFL to transfer a 100% AK pistol receiver. Is there one that is 'best' or preferred for some reason?

bwiese
11-03-2007, 3:55 PM
I caution anyone about 80% receivers since that is not a standard which is codified: one man's 80% may be a sharp guy's 95% or a doofus' 40%.

That being said, it appears various AK flats from long-time vendors in Shotgun News and which need bending, trunnion mounting and perhaps additional drilling seem to not cause the BATF trouble. Builders should mark their name and some sort of private serial # ("Bob Smith #00001") on gun.

That being said, I can't see the point. One smith I know of reports having to fix a lot of homebuilds and these repair costs easily triple the costs of a brand new factory receiver (NDS3, etc.)

You'll save time & grief getting a decent factory receiver and going from there.

metalhead357
11-03-2007, 4:05 PM
LOL! My first thought when I saw the title was...WHERE's BILL? He's gonna love this....Its Baaaaaaack;)

I'd steer clear

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/metalhead357/Pics%20for%20board%20postings/walkaway.jpg

cornholio1
11-03-2007, 4:18 PM
Bills right if you want to save a lot of time and grief. But if you don't mind burning all that time, feel free. Its legal. NDS-3 are so cheap, I just buy mine direct. But some people get a kick of self satisfaction when they accomplish something this feat.

thedrickel
11-03-2007, 5:34 PM
Well, if you are not a LEO you can't import one of those NDS pistol receivers. You can, however, make your own from an unbent piece of sheet metal :)

CSACANNONEER
11-03-2007, 5:37 PM
Well, if you are not a LEO you can't import one of those NDS pistol receivers. You can, however, make your own from an unbent piece of sheet metal :)

Or, you can even use a pre-bent piece of sheetmetal with no holes in it or rail attached to it.