PDA

View Full Version : Registered AW...

Centurion_D
11-03-2007, 3:29 PM
Is there anything in the law that states that I cannot allow another adult to shoot my registered AW's at the range while I'm present? Yes...No?

DedEye
11-03-2007, 3:37 PM
It's legal if you're present, not sure about if you aren't.

Centurion_D
11-03-2007, 3:45 PM
So let's say I have one registered AW that my fiancee is shooting and I move to another bench with my other registered AW but it's several benches away which means I'm not physically sitting next to her. Am I breaking the law?

metalhead357
11-03-2007, 3:49 PM
So let's say I have one registered AW that my fiancee is shooting and I move to another bench with my other registered AW but it's several benches away which means I'm not physically sitting next to her. Am I breaking the law?

How near is near? How far is far......

welcome to cali law. I dont THINK most leo would take issue with whatcha saying/doing...but then again- you are suppossed to be "still with the gun" as far as I know.....

bwiese
11-03-2007, 4:17 PM
Is there anything in the law that states that I cannot allow another adult to shoot my registered AW's at the range while I'm present? Yes...No?

No.

In fact 12280(k)PC specifically allows you to 'lend' an AW to a person over 18, while in your presence at an authorized place (range or exhibit).

It is illegal to 'lend' an AW to a minor even if you're at the range standing over his shouilder. (In fact, there's an escalator penalty for that in 12280(a)(2)PC.) 'Lending' in 12275 et seq AW land appears to be much different than 'lending' in 12078 'lending' (as in 'infrequent loan' exemptions.)

It should be sufficient that (1) you can see her and (2) you could see if she was trying to leave the range (i.e, subsequent attempt exert her own control/ possession of the AW).

We have:
12280(k)(2) The person to whom the assault weapon or 50BMG rifleis lent remains
in the presence of the registered possessor of the assault weapon or 50BMG rifle.
Your situation indicates "presence". The phrasing doesn't even say "immediate presence".

When I'm at the range and can see my reg'd AW and whoever I let use it, I am fine with being a couple of positions down from it.